Hi guys. Did a quick search and failed to find what I'm looking for... Basically I'm a simple-minded singer-songwriter type. I don't write a ton of great songs, but I do write a LOT of songs in the course of a year. I started recording about 8 years ago because there's just no other way to remember how to play some of the older songs after awhile.

However, I hit a big snag technologically and am looking to move away from the recording setup I've been using. (I've been using a program called n-track.)

Do any of you folks have any specific recommendations on what software to use? I think the software is the real key, but feel free to chime in at any other point as well... Basically, I'd prefer to have the flexibility to take some of my home-recorded tracks into the studio (I have never been to a studio yet so this isn't super-pressing). So my thought is to buy a large external hard drive and use that to store my music, so as I go through computers I'm not lugging around CDs or thumb drives.

So as part of that, I'm trying to find a software base that I will have the best odds of still being able to use 10, 15, 20 years down the road. Ideally this software would be something not completely alien in a studio. Again my primary intent with my songs is to just document them for whenever my 60-year-old future-self decides to drop the most amazing 200-song diatribe EVAR.

Cost is a factor too... In part because I'm not superrich, but also because I'm guessing that if you buy a program for $1,500 or something, then when the new version or updates come up down the road, they'll be similarly-pricey. Not sure I'm all that committed to just trying to have a studio-esque format...

Any help is much appreciated! Again I think I'm mostly looking for "you should buy the low-end ProTools" or whatever your personal opinion is. Thanks for reading this!

I think you should buy good quality microphones, a decent audio input interface and/or soundcard and then use Audacity (free!). It sounds like you will pretty much just be recording yourself, and really when it comes down to it the trick is just good mics/mic technique. I run a setup similar to this and it'll give you plenty of listenable stuff at a very reasonable cost. Audacity will run most standard audio formats and I think the program is great given it's all free. You just want to make sure that the audio running into your computer doesn't sound shitty, so that's the key really. There's plenty of decent interfaces, so just take a look around. Good luck.

I think you should buy good quality microphones, a decent audio input interface and/or soundcard and then use Audacity (free!). It sounds like you will pretty much just be recording yourself, and really when it comes down to it the trick is just good mics/mic technique. I run a setup similar to this and it'll give you plenty of listenable stuff at a very reasonable cost. Audacity will run most standard audio formats and I think the program is great given it's all free. You just want to make sure that the audio running into your computer doesn't sound shitty, so that's the key really. There's plenty of decent interfaces, so just take a look around. Good luck.

Id concur, good mics and interface are to two most important tools for my home studio...I while i use condenser mics for almost everything, having one dynamic and a couple condensers is the best for sound quality and variety...

There are some many software platforms out there, almost any will save in .WAV or other formats... I use Garageband for the basics and Protools for more involved projects...I have used Audacity on a PC worked very well, as well as being very easy to use...

Only thing id add is that for most of the projects i work on, having a top quality laptop is essential...then you have a studio pretty much anywhere...not to start a war, but Macs are simply the best...

Also Id consider shopping for a good microphone preamp, there are several out there that are really useful, have phantom power for your condensers, some have Db boosts and tubes, some are even USB or Firewire, but that connectivity is best left for the interface...

j

So you guys are of the opinion that the software side doesn't matter too much? That's good to know...

I have been using a regular mixer to go into the "line" input on my soundcard, but I have half a mind to pick up one of these firewire interfaces.

Example: alesis firewire multimix 8

Since we're talking hardware, I think there's a lot more on this forum that's easily locateable. I'll snoop around for what kind of soundcard / processor specs I need to look out for. I do have a laptop that I use currently, but it's old and buggy, so that's most of my problem anyway. I was just thinking this would be a good time to upgrade on the software side.

Software these days is pretty advanced whether it is "professional" or "basic." Sure, I love working in pro-tools, the features make it much more powerful than a basic program, but if all I'm doing is laying down tracks most of its extra features are just overkill and extra periphery that I don't need. It really shines in the advanced editing/studio setting. Garageband feels a little too much like it's oriented at just fooling around, Audacity is just pretty much straight, no-frills.

My thought on PC vs. Mac, which I've worked on both, I think Macs are generally more reliable and tend to be more oriented towards media editing tasks, but PC's work fine, so if you've been using them keep on with them. It won't make a huge difference. Either way if you're getting a new computer make sure whatever hardware you're buying is compatible with Vista/Leopard because some stuff isn't yet (at least last check I made). I will probably be buying a Mac when I graduate, but I've used a PC for the last 5 years without any problems as well as a Mac at the school's studio lab.

Firewire interfaces allow for the best sound from what I've heard, and it's a really convenient method for recording, I'm guessing that's the way you should go.

Question:

I'm in the process of getting new equipment. What do you mean not compatible w/ Vista/Leopard? I'm clueless.

Some programs/hardware haven't been made compatible with new Leopard/Vista operating systems yet. for example, pro-tools is not Leopard compatible at the moment, and they just recently got it going with Vista. If you're looking to buy hardware/software and have a new operating system I would check with manufacturers to make sure that stuff will work on a new operating system.

Get yourself a Boss BR-1600 or even a Boss BR-1180. They record with AMAZING quality, have thousands of built-in and customizable guitar/vocal/keys effects and you can store about 60 hours of music on it. It's also incredibly user-friendly and very very reliable. You can get one for between $900 - $1500 and NEVER have to worry about software updates or anything like that. Do some research on it, I think you'll really love it.