8 Years ago today

Musician's Friend sends out cheesy little emails every so often with a little recap of "important" events in rock history that happened on this date in years past -- I place "important" in quotation marks because they include such things as Britney Spears marrying that guy in Vegas a few years ago. Mentioned in today's email, however, was Wilco sending Lounge Axe out in style back in 2000. Wish I could have been there.

I loved the solo show that preceeded the last stand for Wilco at the ax. Those versions of Shakin Sugar, AOAF (i think i labeled it as Diet Coca-Cola at the time), and HMD were excellent. I believe he spoke about the writing of Pecan Pie that show as well... "while crossing the street from the Blockbuster" if my memory is correct.

The band show was sloppy and beautiful.

Back in the days of trading i was so pumped when i got those two shows... same can be said for the Park West shows. The set lists for those two shows were all over the place. He debuted A Magazine Called Sunset one of those nights.

> He debuted A Magazine Called Sunset one of those nights.

yep, and it never got played for 3 years after that. the first night had an excellent version of When you wake up feeling old, sung in a lower key

Went back and listened to both shows today... love the solo version of "Pieholden Suite" from night 1 as well. I've always loved "Reflections on a Crystal Wind" when he played it at his solo shows.

He played "Blood of the Lamb" both nights... and i guess it was the debut of "Reservations" during night two.

September 12,13 of 2000... 7 1/2 years have flown!

Another noteworthy item to the the last Wilco Lounge Axe show was the only airing of Walt Whitman's Niece by Wilco. I believe JP did his impersonation of Billy Bragg. Gotta dig out that show now to hear it again....