help me pick a Chicago restaurant

This was in an email I received not long ago from USA Today, about good restaurants that won't break the bank. I've been to exactly none of them.

Milk and Honey is good and very busy on weekends. There are two. The one on Division is more of a sit down place with a bigger menu. The one on Damen near the Damen blue line stop is more like a place to grab a coffee and a muffin. The baked goods aren't exactly cheap (probably a bit more expensive than the stuff at the Starbucks across the street) but they are REALLY good!

The place on Division would be a great brunch spot, if you don't mind waiting for a table. They have good sandwiches. I wouldn't say it's cheap (sandwiches run $7 to $8.50 or so) but it won't break the bank. Since I work near there, I just have to resist going regularly for lunch.

For a really cheap lunch, our office practically uses Sultan's Market (on North just west of Damen) as our work cafeteria. You can't beat a $3 felafel sandwich, or curry rice for $2. They can throw a couple pieces of felafel on top of the rice for an extra buck or so. Just get off the blue line at Damen and walk west a couple of blocks on North.

Oh, from the Damen stop, you can also explore Wicker Park. There are plenty of funky shops, boutiques, restaurants, coffee shops, and bars in the area. For pizza and house micro brew beers, check out Piece on North Ave, just east of Damen.

For dinner, Lula's in Logan Square is good, but there are plenty of places in the same price range that are as good or better. I'd go there if you're in Logan Square, but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there. There's not a whole lot to do in Logan Square, so unless you're staying with friends in the neighborhood, it's not much of a destination. I used to live there and usually ended up hanging out in Wicker Park on weekends.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Milk and Honey is good and very busy on weekends. There are two. The one on Division is more of a sit down place with a bigger menu. The one on Damen near the Damen blue line stop is more like a place to grab a coffee and a muffin. The baked goods aren't exactly cheap (probably a bit more expensive than the stuff at the Starbucks across the street) but they are REALLY good!

The place on Division would be a great brunch spot, if you don't mind waiting for a table. They have good sandwiches. I wouldn't say it's cheap (sandwiches run $7 to $8.50 or so) but it won't break the bank. Since I work near there, I just have to resist going regularly for lunch.

While Milk and Honey does get pretty busy, they have a great system where you order at the counter right as you enter so when you get a table your food is basically ready right when you sit down.

Oh yea...for vegaterians/vegans, much closer and much cheaper than some of these other choices is Alice N Friends about a mile and a half or so north on Broadway by Hollywood. I think it is still open. Kind of smallish, but the food is reasonable and Asian. The fake smoked duck is very good. It is a bit strange,but I always have liked the food.

OH yea and in regards to White Castle, skip it and tell your friends you had some anyway.... :lol

LouieB

This was in an email I received not long ago from USA Today, about good restaurants that won't break the bank. I've been to exactly none of them.

i love milk & honey... it has always been busy when i've gone but i've always gotten a table within 5 minutes or so. it really is worth it because the food is delish. They make these homemade potato chips that they serve with the breakfast sandwiches. Its a yuppie and baby crowd but its nice, well priced, and a great breakfast.

If you will be in the city, hot doug's is ESSENTIAL. Duck fat fries are only served Fri and Sat (they will change your life) and they are only open mon-sat 10:30-4. check out the specials, which are always changing: http://www.hotdougs.com/specials.htm

Buona Terre is a great place for dinner. They have a $20 prix fixe thursday nights (appetizer, ANY entree and dessert). the food is truly lovely and fairly priced. It has a comfortable atmosphere, too. http://www.buona-terra.com/