help me pick a Chicago restaurant

And, great eats in the area too. I've been meaning to try the curry puffs at Thai Grocery; Time Out Chicago just rated them among the 100 best dishes of the past year.

Totally. No need to be afraid in Uptown, just use reasonable precautions. The area is interesting and diverse. And there's plenty of good Asian food. Furama just north on Broadway has good Dim Sum at brunch/lunch time. The places around Argyle and Broadway offer lots of southeast Asian options. And if you feel like venturing even a little farther north, head to my hood, Rogers Park (Oh yeah! What up in the RP???!!!)

Walk along Devon around Devon and Western and you'll have your pick of Indian and Pakistani restaurants. YUMMMM! My favorites:

Udupi Palace

2543 W. Devon Ave.

All vegetarian, south Indian cuisine

BYOB (last time I checked, anyway)

Tiffin

2536 W. Devon Ave.

Meat and veg dishes,

A slightly more "upscale" Indian restaurant with more atmosphere than most of the places on this strip

lunch buffet on weekends

full bar

Hema's Kitchen

6406 N. Oakley Ave. (they also have a Lincoln Park location at 2411 N. Clark St.)

Cozy place with home style meat and veg Indian dishes.

BYOB

Then stop into Patel Brothers grocery on Devon just west of Tiffin to stock up on spices, dahl, basmati rice and all that.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walk along Devon around Devon and Western and you'll have your pick of Indian and Pakistani restaurants.

Then stop into Patel Brothers grocery on Devon just west of Tiffin to stock up on spices, dahl, basmati rice and all that.

PM me...we must be neighbors...I live a block and a half from this stuff. Fresh Fields market in the same area carries all sorts of ethnic groceries, but I agree, Patel's is a trip.

The only drawback on West Ridge (or commonly known as West Rogers Park) is it is NOT near any el stop.

I suppose I should post the usual how to get around Chicago posting I always do. Let's see if I can find it...

And anyone can hit me up to take them for pho or Chinese noodles if you wish. I used to eat this stuff nearly every weekday. The Vietnamese sandwich place Ba Le on Argyle and Broadway is good also. My favorite hole in the wall Thai joint is called Siam Noodle and Rice (ot SNAR) at Leland and Sheridan also.

LouieB

And anyone can hit me up to take them for pho or Chinese noodles if you wish. I used to eat this stuff nearly every weekday. The Vietnamese sandwich place Ba Le on Argyle and Broadway is good also. My favorite hole in the wall Thai joint is called Siam Noodle and Rice (ot SNAR) at Leland and Sheridan also.

LouieB

Hey Louie, is Thai Spice on Devon (just west of Sheridan) still open? I used to love that place and want to take my wife there as she's just discovered Thai cuisine. If you haven't tried it, it's really good.

Hey Louie, is Thai Spice on Devon (just west of Sheridan) still open? I used to love that place and want to take my wife there as she's just discovered Thai cuisine. If you haven't tried it, it's really good.

According to the Reader it is....I have not been there. My favoritet hole in the wall Thai is SNAR, but there are so many good Thai places out there. I just don't get out as much as I used to.... :lol

LouieB

My favorite hole in the wall Thai joint is called Siam Noodle and Rice (ot SNAR) at Leland and Sheridan also.

LouieB

Heh. I used to love Siam Noodle, until I got food poisoning there. :no

Avoid the mussels, and you should be fine.

Heh. I used to love Siam Noodle, until I got food poisoning there. :no

Avoid the mussels, and you should be fine.

Oops.....sorry about that. Shit happens...

Louie are you going to pay for everyone to eat at one of those noodle places? lol It sounds really good...and I'm hungry.

Well it depends if someone saves my space in line. Monday is president's day isn't it??

LouieB

Welllll, since we're on the topic of restaurants in Chicago, I am very very very open to suggestions on where to spend Thursday (Valentine's Day! :love ) with my boyfriend, as we'll be arriving early that evening. We'd love to have dinner downtown or uptown to celebrate our favorite city, favorite band, and favorite people (each other) ~ doesn't have to be fancy, outrageous or expensive, mainly just some freakin' awesome food!

Anyway, any direction would be great! Thanks! OH YEAH AND I FORGOT TO MENTION HOW EXCITED I AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :rock :rock :rock

It is, and they've added sushi to the menu (about which the owner is very proud.)

Louie, Siam Noodle and Tank Noodle are my two favorite restaurants! Lemme know if a noodle outing actually happens, I'm going to all 5 shows and live right by Loyola.

Welllll, since we're on the topic of restaurants in Chicago, I am very very very open to suggestions on where to spend Thursday (Valentine's Day! :love ) with my boyfriend, as we'll be arriving early that evening. We'd love to have dinner downtown or uptown to celebrate our favorite city, favorite band, and favorite people (each other) ~ doesn't have to be fancy, outrageous or expensive, mainly just some freakin' awesome food!

Anyway, any direction would be great! Thanks! OH YEAH AND I FORGOT TO MENTION HOW EXCITED I AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :rock :rock :rock

Any favorite types of food that you like or a general budget? I tons of recommendations but don't know where to begin.

Although Chicago restaurants are not typically "Wilco-related," for February's residency shows they (and hotels) are pretty big topics for Fans. So I just opened this restaurant thread from the hotel thread to keep it separate.

Carry on!

I'm a big fan of any sushi restaurant, but I love Sushi Wabi on Randolph.

Although Chicago restaurants are not typically "Wilco-related," for February's residency shows they (and hotels) are pretty big topics for Fans. So I just opened this restaurant thread from the hotel thread to keep it separate.

Carry on!

I'm a big fan of any sushi restaurant, but I love Sushi Wabi on Randolph.

Sushi Wabi is excellent. Probably the best in the city.

Keep going north, into Skokie.

Hit up:

Pita Inn

on Dempster.

Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about!

Anyone ever been to this place? I haven't, and I hear that it's expensive, but as a carnivore I'm intrigued.

Keep going north, into Skokie.

Hit up:

Pita Inn

on Dempster.

Yeah, Pita Inn's pretty good. We saw Rick Nielsen there the day of LR Show #3 last year.

I also like Old Jerusalem, on Wells in Old Town.

Anyone ever been to this place? I haven't, and I hear that it's expensive, but as a carnivore I'm intrigued.

I haven't been to the one in Chicago, but haven't eaten at one of these in Dallas. It's great. Don't remember what the meal cost at this chain. The churrascaria in Memphis is about $40/person, but these things are all you can eat steak, lamb, chicken, etc.

Yeah, Pita Inn's pretty good. We saw Rick Nielsen there the day of LR Show #3 last year.

I also like Old Jerusalem, on Wells in Old Town.

Can't speak for the one in Chicago, but there is a Fogo De Chao in Atlanta run by the same people. Its fantastic but you have to be a meat lover obviously. And yes, it is expensive, so make it a special occasion and go hungry (light lunch). I think for dinner its $50/person to eat or something.

I love me some meat, but these places can be a little overwhelming IMO. Too many different kinds of meat, spices, odors. I didn't know which way to turn. That being said, the food quality was excellent.

I haven't been to the one in Chicago, but haven't eaten at one of these in Dallas. It's great. Don't remember what the meal cost at this chain. The churrascaria in Memphis is about $40/person, but these things are all you can eat steak, lamb, chicken, etc.

for a good steak try one of the Argentenian steakhouses, like Tango Sur.

I don't eat red meat, but was dragged along for a friend's birthday once. I did the salad bar only option (still $35 or something like that), and had more than enough tasty stuff to choose from. The meat did look excellent if you're a carnivore, and my meat-lover friends had fun trying lots of different things.

But I'd say you've got to plan on eating a LOT of food to get your money's worth at this place--be ready to go all Homer Simpson on the meat, and don't fill up on cheap stuff like bread.

However, if you don't have a huge appetite, you could probably get your fill elsewhere for less money. (I'm only little, so all-you-can-eat places are never a value for me.)

I've also heard good things about Tango Sur for steak.

I've heard that Jeff Tweedy likes to eat at Feed.

See, Wilco-related. :lol

I read somewhere that Jeff likes Tank Sushi on Lincoln Ave. right next to the Old Town School of Folk Music! I'd say it's not the best sushi in the city, but it is good, and the staff is friendly.

I'd agree with the Sushi Wabi recommendation. It's delicious, and the place feels like a nightclub inside.

I lived in Japan for a couple of years, so I also like the old school stuff. (You wouldn't see a California roll or a salmon and cream cheese roll in Japan.) My favorite Japanese restaurant in the city is Itto Sushi on Halsted in Lincoln Park (across from Guitar Center). It's more like a casual izakaiya type place, with a big selection of small dishes you can share, a good sushi menu, and some other options. It doesn't have the dark, trendy night club feel of places like Sushi Wabi, but it's the only place I've been to in the city where the staff speaks Japanese. (Most of the Chicago region's Japanese residents live out in the northwest suburbs these days.)

If you're looking for other options downtown, a few of my favorites (not sushi anymore here):

Moto

945 W. Fulton Market

312-491-0058

Expensive, but mind blowing, cutting-edge sci-fi cuisine in the trendy West Loop restaurant row. And the wine director is a Wilco fan!

Cafe Iberico

739 N. La Salle St.

312-573-1510

Great tapas and sangria with a fun, rather noisy atmosphere.

Frontera Grill/ Topolobampo

445 N. Clark St.

312-661-1434

Upscale Mexican cuisine from celebrity chef Rick Bayless. They don't take reservations, so arrive early.

Pizzeria Uno (or Due)

29 E. Ohio St.

312-321-1000

No visit to Chicago would be complete without some serious deep dish pizza.

Pizzeria Uno (or Due)

29 E. Ohio St.

312-321-1000

No visit to Chicago would be complete without some serious deep dish pizza.

Agreed, but Uno isn't the place to get it. That's a place for tourists.

As for where to go, I think there's a whole thread about that somewhere.

whenever I go to Chicago, I eat breakfast at Flo, on Chicago Ave. Good food and good coffee. I also must have chicago style pizza at Giordano's. I also try to get a luigi steak sandwich at Bar Louie, usually the Bucktown one (around the corner from my old house). Favorite sushi is at Blue Fin, on North/Damen Aves. Favorite burritos/chips/salsa hands down are at Tacalitlan, on Chicago Ave. Oh man, I cant wait to come back to Chicago!!

ps Fogo du Chao is a great place but spendy for sure. The steak is just as good at Tango Sur, and (at least 4 yrs ago), Tango was BYOB with a small cork fee. I hear the paella is good at Tango, but I have never had it.

I totally forgot about Cafe Iberico! Damn that's some good sangria.