help me pick a Chicago restaurant

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have to be honest whenever I'm in Chicago I go out of my way to eat at P.F. Changs...it's probably my favourite all time restaurant!

it's a chain restaurant. you can do much better

You'll have to come out to the burbs for my favorite.

Al's, Mr. Beef and Portillo's are all good options in the city. Al's being my choice.

kimcatch doesn't like driving south of I-88, so Johnny's is out.

We'll just hit up Jay's in Schiller Park. It's goooooooooood. :thumbup

edit: they seem to have opened one in Wicker Park. Sooie, we've got our beef place!

kimcatch doesn't like driving south of I-88, so Johnny's is out.

We'll just hit up Jay's in Schiller Park. It's goooooooooood. :thumbup

edit: they seem to have opened one in Wicker Park. Sooie, we've got our beef place!

I've heard Jay's is good.

I love it. But my parents grew up in Norridge so it's more like my dad's beef place of choice that I've just grown up going to, ya know? I do think it's very good though.

Yep. For someone who doesn't eat much meat, you sure know your beef.

Ear Wax Cafe, if it still exists, had the best veggie burger i've ever eaten and has killer breakfast as well.

Yep, Ear Wax Cafe is still there. I work right around the corner and had the black bean burger a couple of weeks ago. Comes with avacado and salsa on top. YUM.

thought id drop some recommendations in that haven't been mentioned.

Mexican

Buena Vista

3147 N. Broadway Ave.,

The best mexican food I've found in Chicago, its a great little hole in the wall; small, clean, great atmosphere, authentic and very reasonable (a burrito plate is around 6 bucks; great enchiladas as well; i dont eat meat but i hear they have great soups). Its right next to reckless records which is a great stop if your not from chicago.

Sushi

Matsuya

3469 N Clark St

I like it here better then the others mentioned, its affordable and has a large selection of vegetarian friendly rolls. If you go for lunch (only on weekends) free soup is included.

Thai

Cozy Noodles & Rice

3456 N. Sheffield Ave

Great atmosphere there are weird toys and action figures on all of the walls. The food is great and if you pick up a copy of the reader there is a coupon every week for a half off entree.

For food around the Riv

Staying on Broadway going north people have mentioned a wealth of great Vietnamese and Thai restaurants. If your around a little earlier I would recommend going up Broadway to Foster and hanging a left for a a little over a half a mile if you go north on clark from here there are a great variety of great food and almost all of it is vegetarian friendly. There is a great Crepe restaurant on clark and foster, Kopi is a great veggie coffee house (all kinds of sandwiches), A little taste of heaven is great (best for breakfast or dessert though). THe area is known as Andersonville and there is probably a restaurant within a mile of clark and foster to satisfy any food desire. If your looking to get your drink on the Hop Leaf has a great selection of beer.

If you have any questions about the area feel free to pm me. I'd say you can get from the restaurants to the venue within 15 min walking.

thought id drop some recommendations in that haven't been mentioned.

Sushi

Matsuya

3469 N Clark St

Kopi is a great veggie coffee house (all kinds of sandwiches), A little taste of heaven is great (best for breakfast or dessert though). THe area is known as Andersonville and there is probably a restaurant within a mile of clark and foster to satisfy any food desire. If your looking to get your drink on the Hop Leaf has a great selection of beer.

I second those recommendations. Reza's and Andie's on Clark near Foster are also great for middle eastern food and have nice vegetarian combo meals. MMMmmmmmmm

Hop Leaf is one of my 2 favorite Chicago bars for beer selection. The other one is The Map Room on Armitage in Bucktown.

Oh, and in case you care, all Chicago bars are now smoke-free! :thumbup (Smoke makes my head hurt.)

If you just want delivery, and you're on the north side, this was always my favorite:

Villa Palermo

2600something W. Devon

It's just pizza and sammiches, but BOY are they good!

(773)465-5400

Try the "Palermo Beef"

Essentially a baked Italian beef, with mozzerella and mushrooms, and the jus on the side.

Get it on garlic bread, and you cannot go wrong.

Great thin-crust pizza, too.

The Kopi is a great place, partially owned and partially operated by local musician Al Rose......

Superdawg is a bit off the beaten track...only for those with cars....

LouieB

And, being the parent of a kid with food allergies, I feel compelled to warn you that Superdawg fries with peanut oil.

Be warned, in case you have any sensitivies, yourself.

What's your favorite place to grab an italian beef?

Jules was right on...Al's, Mr. Beef or Portillo's. can't go wrong w/ any of those. actually, throw in Luke's on wells as well. portillo's is probably frequeneted most often, as they have plenty of locations out near me in the burbs as well.

Based on something LouieB said somewhere I've already checked The Reader listings but since this is still going on, I'd be happy to hear of any great places close to The Vic, but especially any place close to my hotel which seems to be somewhere northeast of the loop and southeast of Grand station (never been to Chicago but I think I've got that right).

I'll be probably eating by myself so ambience is not very important and I typically don't look to spend a ton of money when I'm on my own.

Based on something LouieB said somewhere I've already checked The Reader listings but since this is still going on, I'd be happy to hear of any great places close to The Vic, but especially any place close to my hotel which seems to be somewhere northeast of the loop and southeast of Grand station (never been to Chicago but I think I've got that right).

I'll be probably eating by myself so ambience is not very important and I typically don't look to spend a ton of money when I'm on my own.

What hotel?