help me pick a Chicago restaurant

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone here have an opinion of the Chicago Diner? Last time I was in Chicago (for NYE 2006) my girlfriend and I tried to go there but it was totally packed and there were lots of people waiting to get in - which I took as a good sign. Since both she and I are vegetarians (I'm actually vegan - gasp!) I'm interested in checking the place out while we're in town for the Residency. Any reviews of the place/menu would be appreciated.

i went there with my vegan sister. it was "eh." they were having a leak in the ceiling and water was splashing next to us, the food was over priced and tasted "fine." However, I would recommend it for vegan dessert... they had the most awesome vegan cookie dough shake in the world. I think it may have been $8 though.

There are much better vegan options in the city... I'm not vegan but I took my sister to:

- Irazu (Costa Rican) on Milwaukee has vegan options and is out of this world delicious... try the oatmeal shake made with water or soy milk... you won't be sorry. I would recommend this place to EVERYONE. it is cash only and so so so so so good. non vegans try the pepito sandwich and chifrijoles (black bean dip with chunks of friend pork). menu at www.irazuchicago.com

-The aforementioned Earwax cafe is also good and has vegan option

- some other stuff i forgot that was better than the chicago diner

This person has tons of photos and short reviews of all kinds of vegan food from all over the city: http://www.pjchmiel.com/vegan/american.html

Also, you can search for vegan places and reviews on yelp.com- it is my favorite resource for anything in the city.

The Red Eye says that the Ethiopian Restaurant, Demera right across from the Riv could be the best in town. I have not been there, but I suspect it is worth a try. There are a couple others up Broadway including the old standbye Ethiopian Diamond, but this is literally across the street.

Further up the Redline is the Heartland for vegetarians, although it is not stricklly veggie (they have buffalo burgers for example.)

LouieB

Does anyone here have an opinion of the Chicago Diner? Last time I was in Chicago (for NYE 2006) my girlfriend and I tried to go there but it was totally packed and there were lots of people waiting to get in - which I took as a good sign. Since both she and I are vegetarians (I'm actually vegan - gasp!) I'm interested in checking the place out while we're in town for the Residency. Any reviews of the place/menu would be appreciated.

haven't been to the chicago diner in years, but recall it being OK. the main appeal was the all veggie menu.

blind faith cafe in evanston is good, but it's in evanston (first suburb directly north of the city).

heartland cafe has basic, but tasty vegan options, but again, pretty far north (almost to evanston)

i really loved amitabul (veggie and vegan korean) when they were on southport, but haven't been since they moved way out to the northwest side of the city. don't even know if they survived out there.

i love the all veggie indian places, but there, the vegan thing is gonna be a problem.

Being in Lakeview/"Boystown" the Chicago Diner is bound to be crowded much of the the time. Actually if you have the time and ablility to get there Blind Faith is really the best reasonable veggie restaurant in town (although it is in Evanston.) I have eaten there many times and it has always been at least very good, if not excellent.

(I worked at the Heartland back in the 70s briefly but rarely go there anymore. It is still pretty "hippie."

LouieB

the heartland is 7 stops north of the riv on the red line & is across the street from the stop, so its pretty accessible.
Exactly...and conveniently located if you are crashing at renic's pad....

not to mention extremely overpriced food and a horrible wait staff.

:lol Yea, I have to admit, I have not eaten there in years (I used to eat there more when it was the hippie Bread Shop Kitchen, but that was before many here were born.) Frankly it isn't all that close to the Riv and for the price, the food at Blind Faith is probably better and the wait staff at the Heartland just as bad, but not as stuck up I am sure. The Heartland is kind of a fun leftie experience also. And the Red Line Tap just around the corner not a bad drinking spot....

LouieB

i really loved amitabul (veggie and vegan korean) when they were on southport, but haven't been since they moved way out to the northwest side of the city. don't even know if they survived out there.
amitabul still existed in august... however, we drove out there only to find that it was closed on sundays.

We ate there last March (weekend of the LR show at Erin's) and it was still going and fantastic as usual. We're planning to go again in April, assuming it's still there. :pray

Amitabul is fully vegan, and though I'm a carnivore myself, I love that place. Sadly, it's kinda far out and hard to get to without a car. Their old location on Southport was much more accessible.

If you are in town for the shows and have nothing to do during the day, check out Letizia's Natural Bakery on Division just west of Damen. It is a cool spot with good coffee, bagels and the like and a place my girlfriend and I have run into Pat on multiple locations.

um, multilpe occasions.

has anyone tried green zebra? i hear that's a high end veggie place?

Way too expensive for me....veggie or not....

There is also Cousin's and Karyn's which are both supposed to be good, but neither have I been to.

LouieB

has anyone tried green zebra? i hear that's a high end veggie place?

I haven't eaten there, but I ate at Green Zebra's carnivorous cousin, Custom House, last night (both restaurants are owned by the Spring Restaurant Group), and it was amaaaazing.

I'll cosign what others have said about the Chicago Diner - just "eh" in my opinion.

I go to Green Zebra about once a month. They are always changing the menu to incorporate seasonal vegetables. The concept is small plates where you order a starter, middle, and final course. We always share. The chefs choice is also a good way to go. It is a classy joint, but if you plan on going before a show you should not have a problem getting in and out. It is expensive but you will feel content without being full and heavy. Which is very important with all the dancing to be done at the Riv.

This was in an email I received not long ago from USA Today, about good restaurants that won't break the bank. I've been to exactly none of them.

Breakfast under $10, Lunch under $12, Dinner under $30

Chicago:

Breakfast: Victory's Banner, Milk & Honey

Lunch: Hot Doug's, Manny's

Dinner: Lula, Buona Terra

I like Nookie's in boystown for frittatas in the AM. (and it's BYOB)

and yeah, for beer I think the hopleaf is worth a shot.

Also, if you've never had it, white castle, so you can tell your friends back home.