Why come Republicans never cry about tax breaks for these folks??

February 1, 2008

Exxon Mobil Earnings Soar on Record Oil Prices

By REUTERS

Filed at 8:25 a.m. ET

NEW YORK, Feb 1 (Reuters) - Exxon Mobil Corp (NYSE:XOM) said on Friday record oil prices boosted its fourth-quarter earnings to $11.66 billion, the highest ever operating profit by a U.S. company.

Shares of the world's largest non-government-controlled oil company rose 1.7 percent in before-the-bell trading as the results beat Wall Street forecasts.

Net income rose nearly 14 percent from the year-earlier of $10.25 billion.

Earnings per share rose to $2.13 from $1.76 last year. Analysts, on average, were expecting earnings of $1.98 per share.

"They performed across the board, upstream, downstream, U.S. and foreign," said James Halloran, who helps manage about $35 billion at National City Private Client Group.

Revenue in the quarter rose to $116.64 billion from $90.03 billion in 2006.

Oil prices averaged more than $90 a barrel during the quarter and nearly hit $100 due to tight supplies, geopolitical risks and the weak dollar. They averaged just over $60 a barrel in the same period a year earlier.

Profit margins from refining were relatively weak in the quarter as gasoline prices failed to keep pace with oil prices that soared to record levels.

Since the beginning of last year, shares of Exxon are up about 13 percent, underperforming the Chicago Board Options Exchange's oil index, which is up about 21 percent.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what kind of tax revenues are generated on the sales of gasoline? Makes ya wonder?

I wonder if gas price are inflated with this record profit? Makes ya wonder? :ermm

Good question WHY THE FUGG ARE GAS PRICES SO FUGGING HIGH??!!!! You would think that if they are higher than ever that would mean Exxons profits would be their lowest ever right??

The DEMOCRATS tried to cancel their tax cuts and subsidies but The President threatened to veto if they did

Good question WHY THE FUGG ARE GAS PRICES SO FUGGING HIGH??!!!!

It couldn't be because oil and gasoline are traded as commodities and futures are sold, plus that little thing called supply and demand along with refining capacity limitations and such? Of course not, only the oil companies taking and hiding massive profits explain high prices.

gas prices are usually lowest here (nj) that anywhere else in the country.

they vary greatly state to state mostly because of state & local taxes, transportation costs, (ie hawaii) and francise owner profits.

i didn't get gas this week but regular unleaded was 2.89/gallon here last week i think.

zFacts-Gasoline-Price.gif

can we go back to 1998 please! lord put another democrat in office!

What the F does that have to do with anything?

$2.80 a gallon in 1981 is probably around $10.00 today. Gas is still cheap (historically), and I don't think having a Democrat in office has anything to do with it either.

[quote name='JUDE

QUOTE (IRememberDBoon @ Feb 1 2008, 08:41 AM) post_snapback.gifGood question WHY THE FUGG ARE GAS PRICES SO FUGGING HIGH??!!!!

QUOTE (Jules @ Feb 1 2008, 10:30 AM) post_snapback.gifGas was more expensive in 1981 than it is today.

QUOTE (IRememberDBoon @ Feb 1 2008, 10:32 AM) post_snapback.gifWhat the F does that have to do with anything??

I'm framing this and putting it up in my cube.

QUOTE (IRememberDBoon @ Feb 1 2008, 08:41 AM) post_snapback.gifGood question WHY THE FUGG ARE GAS PRICES SO FUGGING HIGH??!!!!

QUOTE (Jules @ Feb 1 2008, 10:30 AM) post_snapback.gifGas was more expensive in 1981 than it is today.

QUOTE (IRememberDBoon @ Feb 1 2008, 10:32 AM) post_snapback.gifWhat the F does that have to do with anything??

I'm framing this and putting it up in my cube.

it's almost too good to be true.

I'm saying they're not high.

They're high. They may not be as high, relative to the rest of the economy, as they were at some point in the past, but relative to my economy, they are high.

They're high. They may not be as high, relative to the rest of the economy, as they were at some point in the past, but relative to my economy, they are high.

ok - as opposed to "low", then yes they are high.