What is the penalty for lying to Congress

In the immortal words of Scoobie Do...Ruh Roh

McNamee has evidence on Clemens

Brian McNamee has turned over physical evidence that Roger Clemens' former trainer believes will show the seven-time Cy Young Award winner used performance-enhancing drugs, McNamee's attorneys told The New York Daily News.

In the report, an anonymous source close to McNamee said the former trainer gave the Justice Department's BALCO investigators vials with traces of steroids and growth hormone, as well as bloodstained syringes and gauze pads.

McNamee's attorneys told the newspaper he has turned over the evidence to federal investigators but did not provide details of the evidence.

"This is evidence the government has that we believe will corroborate Brian in every significant way," one of McNamee's lawyers, Earl Ward, said in an article posted on the newspaper's Web site Tuesday.

McNamee told former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell he injected Clemens with performance-enhancing drugs at least 16 times in 1998, 2000 and 2001. Clemens has vehemently denied ever using performance-enhancing drugs.

McNamee is scheduled to be interviewed by House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform lawyers Thursday in preparation for next week's congressional hearing following up on the Mitchell Report on doping in baseball.

The newspaper reported Justice Department officials have sent the evidence to a lab for testing. If the materials prove to contain traces of drugs and blood, prosecutors may attempt to get a court order for a DNA sample from Clemens.

"We will provide Congress with corroborative physical evidence that takes this case out of the he-said, she-said purview," another McNamee lawyer, Richard Emery, told the Daily News. "From our point of view, this corroborates that Brian told the truth from Day One and Clemens has not."

McNamee kept syringes, gauze pads and vials from the 2000 and 2001 seasons because he feared Clemens would deny illicit drug use if the matter was ever investigated, according to the anonymous source cited by the newspaper.

I believe it's up to five years in prison.

There'll be a lot of Clinton-esque rhetoric bandied around next week, I'm sure. Clemens will likely deny knowing what he was injecting. Though fingerprints on viles of steroids may be pretty solid evidence to the contrary.

McNamee kept syringes, gauze pads and vials from the 2000 and 2001 seasons because he feared Clemens would deny illicit drug use if the matter was ever investigated, according to the anonymous source cited by the newspaper.

What am I missing here? The guy who was supplying illegal drugs wanted to be able to prove at some point in the future that he had actually supplied those illegal drugs? How is it to his benefit to do this? And even if he now believes that he had done the wrong thing, and wants to come clean, I still don't understand what he would have been thinking at the time that he kept that stuff. "Someday I'm going to regret doing this, and I'm going to want to take down this player that I'm working with right now, so maybe I'd better save this bloodstained syringe..."

I really don't know anything about the backstory here. Maybe there is some context where this makes perfect sense. But just from reading that, I'm not getting it.

What am I missing here? The guy who was supplying illegal drugs wanted to be able to prove at some point in the future that he had actually supplied those illegal drugs? How is it to his benefit to do this? And even if he now believes that he had done the wrong thing, and wants to come clean, I still don't understand what he would have been thinking at the time that he kept that stuff. "Someday I'm going to regret doing this, and I'm going to want to take down this player that I'm working with right now, so maybe I'd better save this bloodstained syringe..."

I really don't know anything about the backstory here. Maybe there is some context where this makes perfect sense. But just from reading that, I'm not getting it.

Seems to me, if he tells Roger that he has evidence that he injected him with steroids, Roger is less likely to sell him out as a pusher.

OK... so now that he's busted, he wants to be sure that Clemens gets it, too? Because otherwise, isn't it to his advantage to have Clemens denying it?

My confusion as to everyone's motivations here is yet another example of how I'm just not cut out for a life of crime.

Was Clemens testimony public? Do we have anything other than his word as to what his testimony was? If it was all confidential perhaps he testified and said yep, I did it. But then in public went back to his usual defenses. Time will tell.

Maybe he was having a blue dress moment.

Either way, McNamee is going to lose.

How so? I believe McNamee has already testified under penalty of perjury. Not to mention the Mitchell report corroborating the claims that Clemens used. He also told the truth about Petite.

The guy may be a dim bulb but I'm not sure what he has to gain by it at this point. If he held onto materials that link Clemens to steroid use from a while back and he wanted it as an extortion tool, that train has left the station.

We'll see tomorrow.

OK... so now that he's busted, he wants to be sure that Clemens gets it, too? Because otherwise, isn't it to his advantage to have Clemens denying it?

My confusion as to everyone's motivations here is yet another example of how I'm just not cut out for a life of crime.

He was forced to testify under oath. Knowing Clemens would deny his allegations, saving evidence of Clemens's willful participation protects McNamee from the defamation lawsuit Clemens has in the works.