Favorite opening song

This whole residency thing has had me thinking about the sequencing of songs in the half dozen wilco shows I have seen and the dozens of shows I have in recorded form. My favorite opening song seen live would have to be Hell Is Chrome with the lone spot on jeff's face and the rest of the band coming in at "it was chrome". That song never connected with me until I saw it live, now it still is one of my favorites. I also always enjoy misunderstood as the opener. Anyone else have any thoughts.

Airline to Heaven, for me

starts off with jeff playing it solo, with the rest of the band clapping their hands in the air. slowly they come in 'one by one' (no pun intended!), and it builds to a frenzy at the end.

... Springfield 2006 would make it weirder though :lol

Airline to Heaven, for me

starts off with jeff playing it solo, with the rest of the band clapping their hands in the air. slowly they come in 'one by one' (no pun intended!), and it builds to a frenzy at the end.

Me too.

First time I saw them they opened with it and I've never looked back.

This whole residency thing has had me thinking about the sequencing of songs in the half dozen wilco shows I have seen and the dozens of shows I have in recorded form. My favorite opening song seen live would have to be Hell Is Chrome with the lone spot on jeff's face and the rest of the band coming in at "it was chrome". That song never connected with me until I saw it live, now it still is one of my favorites. I also always enjoy misunderstood as the opener. Anyone else have any thoughts.

I totally agree!!! Wilco was my first rock concert and Hell Is Chrome was the opening song. Amazing!!!!! :dancing

I still think "Misunderstood" is just a fantastic way to kick off a show. The slow, creeping nature of it in the beginning and the building up to the frenzy at the end has the potential to set a great mood for the evening. I'd imagine it's an opportunity to get instrument adjustments out of the way, too, as it's got the wide-open noise parts to it.