Hi all:

I was thinking about traveling to Dublin for Easter weekend when one of my friends told me it's a very religious area. For those who live in Ireland, is the city shut down that weekend? Thanks.

For one, its not the 80s and Dublin isn't that religious anymore, we packed alot of that stuff in in exchange for riches.Having said that though, we love holidays so alot of things could be shut on Good Friday but it's not bad now compared to how it used to be. Seeing as I don't so the touristy stuff it's hard to tell what you want to be open. Everything will be shut on Sunday

I would have major doubts about your friend who said it was very religious. Keep in mind that we are the nation who changed are Patron Saint's day into an excuse to get rat-arsed. TBH I'd go to Rome, not Dublin

You should pm Father Calexico and ask him.

Whether Dublin is shut down on the Easter weekend is a moot point. It should be shut down permanently. Religious Ireland has long gone and thank fuck for that. Take yer religion and shove it. I imagine that weekend you will find many pleasurable things to do in Dublin. Like getting mugged, being ripped off in every bar, restaurant and taxi rank you can find. Leaning some Polish might help you to communicate too. :shifty

Come to the real capital of Ireland, Cork.

Come to the real capital of Ireland, Cork.

And you won't understand a word they say, be forced to drink Beamish instead of the black stuff and have to listen to endless monologues of how it should be stringer starting and that Keano will lead Sunderland to the premiership next year

And you won't understand a word they say, be forced to drink Beamish instead of the black stuff and have to listen to endless monologues of how it should be stringer starting and that Keano will lead Sunderland to the premiership next year

Well the Keane/Sunderland thing I will grant you. Bunch of knobs. I wouldn't go near Beamish or Guinness. Bulmer's is yer only man! As for the egg chasing...count me out. Big ponces with bent names.

For a minute there I imagined myself sitting between these two lads with a pint of my own.

I notice that every time it is your round you are off to the bog. :brow

mmmmmmmm bulmers

Do they have that in Chicago? It should be required drinking for everyone.

I don't believe that.

Why? Compare living here in the 50's 60's and 70's and living here now. There is none. While we are not exactly Bangkok, we do hedonism and reckless living as well as anyone else. ;)

Why? Compare living here in the 50's 60's and 70's and living here now. There is none. While we are not exactly Bangkok, we do hedonism and reckless living as well as anyone else. ;)

According to the most recent estimates (1998), about 92% of the population is nominally Roman Catholic. However, Church officials report that only about half of these members are active practitioners. The next largest organization is the Church of Ireland, with a membership of about 3% of the population.

I wonder if there is any more recent numbers out there.

I have no doubt that the majority of the population are declared RC. I am myself but I never go to church, have rejected religion and only use the church as a social event house for weddings, funerals etc. Like the majority of the country I imagine.

The influence of the church in Ireland has totally disappeared from the times when the bishops could almost be said to be running the country. People like John McQuaid and his ilk. Good fucking riddance to them and their narrow mindedness and to their harbouring of kiddy fuckers.

calexico--are you going to see hamell this week when he's in cork???

I went and it was awesome. He did The Terrorism Of Everyday Life show, which I mostly knew anyway but he was still on fire. The crowd, most of which had never seen him live before, loved every minute of it. He even gave me some ribbing about my Mets t shirt. :thumbup

I went and it was awesome. He did The Terrorism Of Everyday Life show, which I mostly knew anyway but he was still on fire. The crowd, most of which had never seen him live before, loved every minute of it. He even gave me some ribbing about my Mets t shirt. :thumbup

nice!!!!! i can't wait until he comes back. you had to wear the mets shirt eh?

• 2 weeks later...