So I have some guitar pedals, and am struggling to find the right order

I recently went through a pedal buying phase, and I'm in the process of making a pedal board, but I want to know a good order for the pedals I have. Most of them are cheap, but they do the job, and I wanted to see what order would work best to get a good sound and to reduce static and extraneous noise, if that makes sense.

I'll list what I have:

Distortion

Overdrive

Volume

Wah

Tuning

Chorus

Flanger

Slap Echo

Delay

Reverb

Tremolo

Vibrato

Again, a lot of these were very cheap, and I am very new to this, so any help and input is appreciated. Thanks!

I recommend Tuner first (so no other pedals can cause interference) Volume, Wah, Distortion, and then the rest can go in any order you like.

But I'm interested to see other replies in this thread because I don't use most of those pedals.

I've found that most folks recommend the following order: wah -- compression effects -- distortion/overdrive effects -- EQ -- modulaton (phase/flange/trem/vibrato/chorus/etc) -- delay/reverb.

I think it's most important to put delay/reverb at the end since it is replicating a real-world ambient space. That way, it takes your guitar sound as it is with the other effects already adds it a creates the effect of you playing that same signal in a cave/cathedral/basement/big room/whatever. Although most prefer the wah at the start of the chain because it is essentially a substitute for using your tone control (most use the same reasoning for putting a volume pedal at the top of the chain as well), I've found that there are some scenarios where I like to at least move it to after my compressor (then again, I rarely use my wah pedal anymore, and you indicated you don't use compression). As for volume pedal, I actually like it at the end of my chain so I can basically control the entire signal going to the amp. The way I see it, I've got another volume already at the top of the chain on my guitar. As for all the modulaton pedals, there isn't really any "right" order, just experiment until you find what you like. Actually, even though there are some fairly standard ways of ordering pedals, you should always just experiment and see what sounds good to you.

I forgot about the tuner. I don't think it really matters where you put it unless you put it after pedals that actually affect pitch, and even then, you could always just turn those pedals off when you tune. Personally, I have a line running out of my volume pedal to a tuner so that I can cut the volume while tuning.

i agree with BigWheeledWagon on all points, but i have these to add:

i would definitely make sure to put distortion/fuzz before overdrive. in my experience, some distortion pedals actually make guitar sounds more even/quiet. so if you want to run them WITH overdrive, it'll pay to have the overdrive boosting their signal, not the overdrive's signal being evened out by the distortion's. does that make sense?

also, some people put the wah at the end of their chain. its a different sound than that created when its at the front, so really the choice is yours.

hope this helps.

also, some people put the wah at the end of their chain. its a different sound than that created when its at the front, so really the choice is yours.

Yeah, although there are a lot of folks who are insistent that the wah must come first, it really seems to be the one pedal that can go anywhere depending on what kind of sound you're looking for. I also used to like it toward the end of the chain for lead, but earlier in the chain for rhythm/funkier stuff (or was it the other way around -- I forget. Not really using the wah much now). Unlike the last poster, I put my overdrive before my distortion, but I rarely use them at the same time, so it doesn't really make a difference.

i agree with BigWheeledWagon on all points, but i have these to add:

i would definitely make sure to put distortion/fuzz before overdrive. in my experience, some distortion pedals actually make guitar sounds more even/quiet. so if you want to run them WITH overdrive, it'll pay to have the overdrive boosting their signal, not the overdrive's signal being evened out by there's. does that make sense?

hope this helps.

overdrive into dist adds harmonics, but you can barely hear---however OD to dist almost always compresses...so the reverse is a good way to go...im running a jeckyl and hyde so i dont have these issues...

i put wah at the very end, but i only use it with ambient delay, so im out of norm...

j

I recommend Tuner first (so no other pedals can cause interference) Volume, Wah, Distortion, and then the rest can go in any order you like.

But I'm interested to see other replies in this thread because I don't use most of those pedals.

Thats what I use. Good to have the tuner before the volume

Tuner-Volume-Wah-Delay-Compression-Overdrive-Phase Shifter

Might put the delay after overdrive.

With the exception of putting tuner, then volume, then wah, I suggest you fumble around until it sounds good to you. Also, high quality cables and patches will help mucho

Also, high quality cables and patches will help mucho

So often overlooked...i have posted this a few times elsewhere, make sure you get into a regular maintainance routine...dirt and dust kill guitar signals through pedals...the most important thing i do in this regard its to clean the cable tips with tarnish solvent ( i use WD40 cause it evaporates) and on many of my pedals i open the box and clean the input jacks with solvent and a q-tip...this can help on amp jacks as well...

j

Also, high quality cables and patches will help mucho

I second this (or third this, as the case may be). Also, it's pretty important, if possible, to avoid having any AC cables in your rig (or from elsewhere) run parallel to audio cables. If you have to have them close to each other, cross them at 90 degree angles. This will help kill hum.

I second this (or third this, as the case may be). Also, it's pretty important, if possible, to avoid having any AC cables in your rig (or from elsewhere) run parallel to audio cables. If you have to have them close to each other, cross them at 90 degree angles. This will help kill hum.

I have been screwed so many times by using cheap and or damaged cables. Nothing worse than starting the intro to "Sweet Child" (yes, we get many requests for that song for some reason) and about every third note is actually coming through the amp... Take care of those cables, and buy the good ones. :thumbup

So often overlooked...i have posted this a few times elsewhere, make sure you get into a regular maintainance routine...dirt and dust kill guitar signals through pedals...the most important thing i do in this regard its to clean the cable tips with tarnish solvent ( i use WD40 cause it evaporates) and on many of my pedals i open the box and clean the input jacks with solvent and a q-tip...this can help on amp jacks as well...

j

Also great advice.. Something I've never done.. Maybe that's why I always have static. I think I'll get some WD40 on my way home today.

one thing i would add that i don't think has been mentioned would be using your amps effects loop. many of the effects listed sound different (better or worse always being subject to opinion and taste) when run through your effects loop. conventional wisdom says, as most here have posted, to put anything that changes your dynamics first: volume pedal (run tuner aside this if possible to keep it out of your loop all together), compression, boosts, overdrive, distortion and then into amp. i run delays and modulation in the effects loop, that way the signal has been treated by the preamp stage and to my ears blends easier with the signal before hitting the power amp.

modulation wet/dry mixes get really increase and decrease with big changes in dynamics of the signal entering them. that can be good and bad, but to keep a more consistent and easier to control overall volume i like using the effects loop. also, +1 to the cabling. soldering is not too hard to learn and pays for itself quickly. a simple, yet sufficient home soldering setup can be had for less than 50 bucks. the markup on cabling is ridiculous and there are many places to buy jacks and cable in bulk and do the labor yourself, like i said it will take a bit to learn but pays for itself almost immediately.

play on

one thing i would add that i don't think has been mentioned would be using your amps effects loop. many of the effects listed sound different (better or worse always being subject to opinion and taste) when run through your effects loop. conventional wisdom says, as most here have posted, to put anything that changes your dynamics first: volume pedal (run tuner aside this if possible to keep it out of your loop all together), compression, boosts, overdrive, distortion and then into amp. i run delays and modulation in the effects loop, that way the signal has been treated by the preamp stage and to my ears blends easier with the signal before hitting the power amp.

modulation wet/dry mixes get really increase and decrease with big changes in dynamics of the signal entering them. that can be good and bad, but to keep a more consistent and easier to control overall volume i like using the effects loop. also, +1 to the cabling. soldering is not too hard to learn and pays for itself quickly. a simple, yet sufficient home soldering setup can be had for less than 50 bucks. the markup on cabling is ridiculous and there are many places to buy jacks and cable in bulk and do the labor yourself, like i said it will take a bit to learn but pays for itself almost immediately.

play on

Really a good thing to mention...i have two comments on amp effects loops

first is that there isnt a consistant model for these things, which means some are simple loops that dont have any gain other that the amps post...some have a gain circuit (preamp) dedicated to the effects loop...each have their strengths...each have weaknesses---if the loop has a preamp circuit, the sound can be colored by the amp...if it doenst have a gain, or a wet/dry, then youll have a signal loss going to the post amp...

Also, many amps, especially older and reissue models, either dont have this feature, or rely on the various preamp stages built in to run effects, and if you run external effects with these on, youll get a load of mud (example: my 65 fender deluxe revrb--built in spring reverb with dedicated preamp tube for the effect, if i add a reverb pedal to the chain before the preamp tube, i get a sonic swamp)...

i used to make my own cables, but m a bit lazy these days

j

It's all pretty subjective. There is no "wrong way" to do it. You get a different sound depending on what pedal you have in what order. I've always put my tuner last in the chain as it works as a mute switch. If you're in a multi-guitarist band and hear you're out of tune, you can click it to tune up without replacing your guitar sound with hissing from the overdrive you're using.

I usually put my wah first in my rig as I prefer the sound of the wah being distorted. It makes it more dynamic then putting it after the distortion. I also recommend running the overdrive before the distortion. A tube screamer or the like is a good way to put a little edge on your guitar without fuzzing the sound out too much. When you hit that distortion, you're firing out strong for leads. Volume works best near the end of the chain if you can do it. That way the sound stays smooth regardless. If you run it before your distortion pedals, all you'll do is cut the amount of fuzz for a bit...then signal will die out. Again though, it depends on when you run your distortion and where.

My current setup is: Guitar-Wah-Big Muff (Russian, at low sustain)-Litte Big Muff (maxed out)-Small Stone-Electric Mistress-Tuner...

For quieter shows: Guitar-Wah-Tube Screamer (set for a bit of bite)-Big Muff-Small Stone-Echo-Electric Mistress (flanger to one amp, clean to another) and my tuner to the flanged amp so clean amp so I can kill that signal if needed.