Halcyon to be... ordained?!?!

So my cousin is getting married!! Sweet beans, I know. She's not really religious so I was thinking, hey, why don't I perform the wedding! So I've been looking into getting ordained online, and have found http://www.universalministries.com. Is this a bad idea? Does anyone have any experiences with things like this? Is this a terrible idea?? I figured I'd ask you guys cause most of you are generally older and/or wiser!

No Kool-Aid at the reception, OK?

I don't know if it's that same "ministry," but I know a couple of people who've been ordained for exactly the same purpose. They're still alive and have all their fingers and toes, so it can't be too horrible.

I'm assuming that your cousin asked you if you'd marry them? Also, though you mentioned she is not religious, is she getting married in a church or a religious center for worship (temple, mosque, etc.) The reason I ask is that if it is at a religious center, you want to be sure that whatever ordination credentials you obtain will be recognized and accepted by them.

I'd check with your local courthouse to see if that ministry is recognized by the province before going through too much trouble/cost. Also, here in California you can get a license to marry someone for a day and don't need to be ordained, captain of a ship, judge, etc. Maybe they have that up there, too?

Hmmm! Well, she's getting married in the outdoors I do believe, so I don't got no worries about that. She hasn't asked me but we talked about it briefly a few months ago before she got engaged. I figured I'd find out how easy it is to become ordained and then offer my services, and then get ordained. But uh, to be honest, the more I think about it, the less totally awesome this idea seems.

It is a pretty safe bet and a lot of people use it. Captains on yachts that do weddings especially. Good idea to check with the Secretary of State website of your state to see if you even need to do it...some states will give you a deputy of marriage for a day certification.