why do new TVs suck?

If you are seriously considering a tv at Best Buy...and you are nice to your sales person you can ask them to hook up a dvd player and ask them to show you a movie that has different graphics in it..they should be able to do that for you so you can see specific features...and see how high the quality is. I know currently in my store they show parts of Lipstick Jungle..which i walked by several times today and kept thinking it really looked like they were right in the store...as well as a part of the Pirates of the Caribbean movie..which shows you their skin close up and it's sorta scary to me. But ask nice and I bet they would be willing to help you out.

I'm hoping they call it "H-erDTV"

:rock :rock :rock

Don't get sucked into the size game. I am very happy with a 32" where everyone tried to sell me a 37"-50". The biggest bonus: the thinner screen has added tremendous size to an oddly shaped room.

and remember, connect all your components via HDMI for maximum picture quality, your cable/satellite box dvd, game console, reciever - whatever - just sayin' cause a few folks I know got a new tv, and didn;t realize they could get even more out of it, and didn;t have their resolution set right on their cable/satellite box, however some are "auto" - blah blah blah- DEAR PERM CALM DOWN!

• 2 weeks later...

Because I figure some of you aren't going to run out and buy a tv, I thought I'd help you out by letting you know where you can go to get all you need for your tv to work in Feb 2009.

So first off you need to go here for a $40 coupon off your converter box(s). Learn more here.

Stores in order of current pricing on boxes (before coupons):

Amazon has 1: Magnavox $49.99

Wal Mart has 2: Magnavox $52.97 and RCA $49.87

Circuit City : Zenith $59.99

Best Buy has 1: Insignia $59.99

Target will carry these boxes but not until May, so no price yet. Wal-greens is listed on the coupon but I was unable to find a price online. You can bid on them on Ebay but obviously I don't think they take the coupons.

The only people who need to do all that ^ are those who watch over-the-air broadcast TV. If you have cable or satellite service, the converter box isn't necessary.

...or so I've been told, repeatedly, by an endless number of PSAs.

The only people who need to do all that ^ are those who watch over-the-air broadcast TV. If you have cable or satellite service, the converter box isn't necessary.

...or so I've been told, repeatedly, by an endless number of PSAs.

You have been told correctly.

HD blows away what tv was 18 years ago. Maybe since the average screen size has increased dramatically you are sitting too close to huge screens.

• 2 weeks later...
HD enthusiasts crying foul over cable TV's crunched signals

By CHRIS WILLIAMS, Associated Press Writer Mon Apr 21, 8:47 AM ET

MINNEAPOLIS - In Brent Swanson's basement home theater, there should be nothing drab about "Battlestar Galactica." He's got a high-end projector that beams the picture onto a wall painted like a silver screen, and speakers loom in the corners, flanking two big subwoofers.

Yet when he tuned in Sci Fi HD for a recent episode filmed in high definition, the image was soft and the darkest parts broke up into large blocks with no definition. Explosions, he said, were just dull.

"It kind of looked like they took the standard definition and just blew it up," said Swanson, a 33-year-old graphic designer and videographer who subscribes to Comcast Corp.'s TV service. "I couldn't really tell if what I was seeing was really better than what I saw on regular television."

As cable TV companies pack ever more HD channels into limited bandwidth, some owners of pricey plasma, projector and LCD TVs are complaining that they're not getting the high-def quality they paid for. They blame the increased signal compression being used to squeeze three digital HD signals into the bandwidth of one analog station.

The problem is viewers want more HD channels at a time when many cable and satellite providers are at the limits of their capacity, said Jim Willcox, a technology editor for Consumer Reports magazine.

"They have to figure out a way to deliver more HD content through their distribution networks," he said.

Compressing the signal is cheaper than costly infrastructure upgrades to increase capacity. Satellite TV providers