3/22/93 - the anniversary

Monday, March 22, 1993

Crest Theatre, Sacremento, CA

Set I: Chalkdust Torture, Guelah Papyrus, Uncle Pen, Stash, Bouncing Around the Room, Rift, Weigh, Reba, Sparkle, David Bowie

Set II: Golgi Apparatus, It's Ice > The Lizards, Tela, Wilson, AC/DC Bag, Colonel Forbin's Ascent > Fly Famous Mockingbird, The Sloth, McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters, Mike's Song > I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove

E: Amazing Grace, Fire

notes: The second set included Gamehenge narration in between songs from Lizards through McGrupp. Amazing Grace was performed without microphones.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the great nights in Phishtory. A total kick-ass first set followed by a complete Gamehenge saga (of only 5 ever done). All the guys on top of their game. Everyone who is a fan needs this show like you need a heartbeat.

This is where we talk about PHISH - one of the great rock and roll quartets ever.

One of the great nights in Phishtory. A total kick-ass first set followed by a complete Gamehenge saga (of only 5 ever done). All the guys on top of their game. Everyone who is a fan needs this show like you need a heartbeat.

This is where we talk about PHISH - one of the great rock and roll quartets ever.

So I am a Phish fan, and do not have this show, much less most other live ones. I guess that since they broke up my interest has wanned. Do you have a link for downloading this show?

I heard Bouncing Around the Room once. On the radio... a long time ago.

There. I talked about Phish.

(Actually, despite my snarky reply, I really am fairly interested in hearing this band that I somehow missed out on during their existence. Just never got around to it.)

So I am a Phish fan, and do not have this show, much less most other live ones. I guess that since they broke up my interest has wanned. Do you have a link for downloading this show?

Here's an etree link, hope this helps:

http://db.etree.org/bs_d.php?year=1993&artist_key=4

Ah the good old days in Vermont, seein those guys in little bars... :ohwell before the "scene" got so big.....Funny "Wilson" story. There was this idiot where I used to work years ago with the last name Wilson...big blustery loud kinda guy. Everytime he came around me and a buddy would start humming Duh Duh, Duh Duhhh..........Wilson!, Duh Duh, Duh Duhhh..... made us laugh anyways.

Ah the good old days in Vermont, seein those guys in little bars... :ohwell before the "scene" got so big.....Funny "Wilson" story. There was this idiot where I used to work years ago with the last name Wilson...big blustery loud kinda guy. Everytime he came around me and a buddy would start humming Duh Duh, Duh Duhhh..........Wilson!, Duh Duh, Duh Duhhh..... made us laugh anyways.

I used to catch 'em in the bars in NH in the late 80s, too. Fun times. I also dated a chick for 7 years with the last name Wilson. I've used the tune in a similar manner as described above.

Wow. You and darkstar were in on it from the beginning. I never heard these guys until the early '90s. I know as soon as I heard "David Bowie" that was it for me - I KNEW these guys were gonna kill everywhere they went.

I saw Phish and the Dead a few days apart in '94. The difference was like night and day - one band at the top of their game, the other heading off into the ditch. Seeing Phish then must have been like seeing the Dead in '74...just amazing.

I used to catch 'em in the bars in NH in the late 80s, too. Fun times. I also dated a chick for 7 years with the last name Wilson. I've used the tune in a similar manner as described above.

Wow...probably at the same shows a few times....went to school in VT, Norwich, if you can believe that. When I reported to Ft Knox after I graduated and got commissioned my company commander was always giving me shit for listening to the Dead and Phish and stuff like that. I even had a camoflauge steal your face sticker on my tank in Iraq in gulf war 1. I think most of the higher ups thought it was a "gung-ho" type thing...little did they know the true meaning :shifty

Wow...probably at the same shows a few times....went to school in VT, Norwich, if you can believe that. When I reported to Ft Knox after I graduated and got commissioned my company commander was always giving me shit for listening to the Dead and Phish and stuff like that. I even had a camoflauge steal your face sticker on my tank in Iraq in gulf war 1. I think most of the higher ups thought it was a "gung-ho" type thing...little did they know the true meaning :shifty

:lol

A bunch of shows at the Stone Church and various other small joints in NH and VT. Amy Skelton was tight with them and used to toss me and a cabal of freaks in the back of her truck and haul us to shows. I remember one show in particular at like a restaurant/bar that had them on a snowy winter night (lower VT, I think) and it was just the 7-8 of us and another freak there who twirled around a pole the whole night. I believe about half our party got kicked out of the place for being too drunk that night.

Junta was the first CD I ever owned. I got it for Christmas in the 8 grade (about 7 years ago), and was instantly hooked. I took off with my sister and two of her friends and drove to Maine to IT. It was amazing. Then I convinced my mom to go to a pharewell show in Indiana.

Side note: that sendspace file is enormous, it would take me like 2 hours to download, and I am unable to to torrents on my college network, but thanks for trying.

Honestly I can't remember any of the places in NH. I wanna say Hanover, right across from White River VT. Saw a bunch in Burlington of course..

Yeah Mountain, it was pretty cool now that I think of it. At the time they just seemed like a great bar band you know? I remember the first big show I saw with them at Great Woods in Mass. Guess it was around, I dunno 92-93 maybe? about 15,000 people there. It was like wow, how did THIS happen?

I wish I had been old enough to see the Dead back in 74....actually to have seen them in 72....sheeeeeeeeeit, now that woulda been something, or even back in say 68-69 dang. I woulda loved to have seen some pigpen. Primal Dead!

Side note: that sendspace file is enormous, it would take me like 2 hours to download, and I am unable to to torrents on my college network, but thanks for trying.

If the file's too big and you can't do torrents, try that second link I put up, click on "Shows," and scroll down to the date.

Gamehenge in particular: The "story" is pretty far out / sci-fi (my best friend, whom I have deep respect for in regards to his musical taste - he turned me on to Wilco fer chrissake - once referred (dismissively) to Gamehenge as " that D&D stuff") but the thing I find most amazing about it is how young Anastasio was when we came up with all of this. The arrangements are so well thought out. There's all kinds of crazy music-theory shit going on in songs like "Forbin > Mockingbird" that I only vaguely understand.

And the gorgeous melody at the close of "Lizards"... How to describe what kind of music "Tela" is? It sounds like a band that played together for 20 years. The jazz inflected stylings of "McGrupp". These are the recordings of a kid that has spent a hell of a lot of time with a guitar around his neck. And a lot of time listening to some really great music.

Really, the existing copies of any Gamehenge sagas are worth checking out for the songs surrounding the story as well...the "Stash" from 7/8/94 was well thought of enough by the band that it was the version that made it to the first live CD. Still one of the sickest tension/release things I've ever heard.

There's many on the green board (and here as well) that can talk circles around me on all of this. So speak up. :cheers