Neil Young for beginners

How many pages will this thread be before someone (seriously) suggests Arc, Dead Man and Journey Through the Past?

The only one I've heard that I think should be avoided is Landing on Water.

The Landing on Water tour was the first time I saw Neil. Great show, made me a lifelong fan. Later that year they had a live broadcast from California (Cow Palace?) which I dutifully taped. Years later, I bought the LoW CD for cheap-definitely a stinker.

One album thats mostly overlooked is Silver & Gold. Its low key but Neil sounds real happy.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the Beach...Ambulance Blues is the reason God created soundwaves.

Here here... I can post an mp3 of Neil Young performing "Ambulance Blues" with REM if anyone is interested. It was from the 2000 1999 REM Christmas Fan Club offering.

If interested, just post back here.

I'm at work at the moment.

cheers,

Kevin

You laugh, but I think Arc is actually good driving music. Or, as Neil once put it, "It's rap music for white people!"

I have nothing against Arc. It's definitely not a good Neil album for a beginner, though.

It's Only A Dream - Prarie Wind

The Needle and The Damage Done - Live Rust

Walk On - On The Beach

Old Man - Harvest

Cinnamon Girl - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

Harvest Moon - Harvest Moon

I Am A Child - Decade

A few I like. ;)

Are there any other Neil Young fans here that rate the Dead Man soundtrack high on their list? I love Neil Young, and its one of my favorites. On The Beach and Chrome Dreams are two others I go back to often.

Are there any other Neil Young fans here that rate the Dead Man soundtrack high on their list? I love Neil Young, and its one of my favorites. On The Beach and Chrome Dreams are two others I go back to often.

I like it, maybe because I think that's the best movie I've ever seen. I don't listen to it very often, but I'd probably listen to it all the time if it they had left off Johnny Depp's poetry readings. It'd also be better if it included the fantastic opening theme that Neil plays on acoustic guitar.

People who like the Dead Man soundtrack would probably enjoy Richard Thompson's soundtrack to Grizzly Man.

I like it, maybe because I think that's the best movie I've ever seen. I don't listen to it very often, but I'd probably listen to it all the time if it they had left off Johnny Depp's poetry readings. It'd also be better if it included the fantastic opening theme that Neil plays on acoustic guitar.

People who like the Dead Man soundtrack would probably enjoy Richard Thompson's soundtrack to Grizzly Man.

Oooh, thanks for the suggestion I'll check it out. I still haven't seen the movie.

As for Dead Man, I agree. It is one of my favorite movies as well!

Oooh, thanks for the suggestion I'll check it out. I still haven't seen the movie.

As for Dead Man, I agree. It is one of my favorite movies as well!

Grizzly Man --> Wilco connection: Jim O'Rourke plays piano & guitar and wrote some of the material on the Grizzly Man soundtrack. The Grizzly Man dvd has a great bonus featurette of Thompson, O'Rourke and the guys recording the soundtrack.

It's funny how a "Neil Young for beginners" thread has morphed into a discussion about one of his most obscure works - the Dead Man soundtrack. Neil is king for me, but I never listen to that one.

I have always wondered why it came out on a different label than Reprise. I think Vapor Records is owned by Elliot Roberts - or ran by him anwyhow. I think it is actually distributed by Reprise - come to think of it.

Some of the Rusties may lynch me for saying this, but I really dig She Sleeps With Angels. I suppose I recommend it since it was the second or third Young album I purchased. Although my dad knew a bunch of Neil Young songs on the guitar, I don't recall playing many records at home growing up, which is strange since CSNY was Saturday chore music. Any way, I got into Young during the Harvest Moon / Unplugged period. So, She Sleeps With Angels was my first introduction to Crazy Horse. Even though I now have most of the official releases (that guy is just so damn prolific!) I still go back to Sleeps about once a month.

I also dig the Dead Man soundtrack. Man, it's been awhile since I've seen that movie.

Welcome to the world of Neil Young. It is addicting.

Some of the Rusties may lynch me for saying this, but I really dig She Sleeps With Angels.

I like that one, too. Some of those songs are better than anything Neil's done since.

Sleeps With Angels is solid. Neil was inspired after Kurt Cobain killed himself and quoted Neil in his suicide note. I enjoy that album, but I'd be hard pressed to put it in my top 15 Neil albums, nor would I say it acurately captures the essence of Crazy Horse. Obviously if it is your 1st exposure to El Caballo Loco, you'll have a soft spot for it.

I think "Year of the Horse" (the movie, not the album) would be a pretty cool introduction to NY & Crazy Horse.

How do you see it?? it is not available through netflix.

LouieB

How do you see it?? it is not available through netflix.

LouieB

Netflix doesn't have it? Wow, that sucks. I'm surprised. I saw it twice in the theater and I own the dvd. I guess I bought the dvd right after it came out (maybe five or six years ago?). I don't think I've ever watched the dvd, though. Been meaning to.

I'm not able to burn dvds, but maybe I could send it to you. You can PM me about that if you like.

I bought Year of the Horse on DVD. It's okay.

Rust Never Sleeps is much more fun. I love the idea of using giant amps, etc. to make NY & Crazy Horse appear smaller than life. (A visual joke about the giant egos and arena rock wankery of the 70s, perhaps?) Classic Neil weirdness and magic.

I have no clue why this is out of print....I mean it is a Jim Jarmich film after all, not exactly an unknown director. I remember when it was released in the theater (I had a PR postcard tacked to my cubical...) but I never got around to seeing it on DVD. Buying one for $40 isn't something I need.

Actually I have never seen Rust Never Sleeps either.

Live at Massey Hall is such a mess however and Heart of Gold is so great. I guess few musicians have been filmed as much as Neil.

LouieB

I have no clue why this is out of print....I mean it is a Jim Jarmich film after all, not exactly an unknown director. I remember when it was released in the theater (I had a PR postcard tacked to my cubical...) but I never got around to seeing it on DVD. Buying one for $40 isn't something I need.

Actually I have never seen Rust Never Sleeps either.

Live at Massey Hall is such a mess however and Heart of Gold is so great. I guess few musicians have been filmed as much as Neil.

LouieB

I thought it was odd when it came up that way - it looks like some sort of bootleg on that amazon link. As I recall, there is a lot of footage of the band and Neil arguing about stuff. Rust Never Sleeps was re-released a while back - no extras though.