late greats lyrics: laugh or life?

hey all,

I'm new to this forum. I tried to search this out, but no luck. I've been listening again to The Late Greats (any version I have) for the first time in awhile. The last stanza reads on every website:

The best song will never get sung

The best life never leaves your lungs

So good, you won't ever know

I never hear it on the radio

Can't hear it on the radio

However, I had been hearing "the best laugh never leaves your lungs," which I kinda think fits better. It just seems like a more precise metaphor. But honestly, I have yet to find a version of the song that helps discern between "laugh" and "life."

I figure it's probably "life" at this point, but has anyone else thought it sounded like "laugh"? Does anyone know what I mean when I say that I think laugh seems like the more appropriate word in this context?

sps

I always interpreted that line to mean that the best qualities of all of us are not tangible. When we take our last breath (ie, life leaving our lungs) the best of us lives on.

Now that there's a discussion about that line I wonder if others interpret it the same way? I think my interpretation of that line certainly goes hand in hand with Less Than You Think and the drone that precedes it.

Musicians often have dreams of these perfect and beautiful songs, but when they wake and try to recapture them they find them gone, or impossible to recreate. To me the line "The best song will never get sung" sort of signifies this and how somethings just sound grander in your head--due in part to the lack of physical limitations in that world--and voicing them aloud could never do justice to the way you hear them internally.

The following line "The best life never leaves your lungs" I see mirroring the previous line in that the internal life (or dream life) is invariably richer or freer than the external one, and that life you carry with you always, and though it may never manifest externally, it's there to inspire you and keep you going through thick and thin.

I'm sure I'm probably way off on these ideas but that's the beauty of lyrics; there are so many interpretations to be had.

Musicians often have dreams of these perfect and beautiful songs, but when they wake and try to recapture them they find them gone, or impossible to recreate. To me the line "The best song will never get sung" sort of signifies this and how somethings just sound grander in your head--due in part to the lack of physical limitations in that world--and voicing them aloud could never do justice to the way you hear them internally.

The following line "The best life never leaves your lungs" I see mirroring the previous line in that the internal life (or dream life) is invariably richer or freer than the external one, and that life you carry with you always, and though it may never manifest externally, it's there to inspire you and keep you going through thick and thin.

I'm sure I'm probably way off on these ideas but that's the beauty of lyrics; there are so many interpretations to be had.

I like that. :thumbup

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...