Autumn Defense Help!

Ok if this thread should be elsewhere, sorry. I have the first Autumn Defense record and was always underwhelmed (probably should give it another try), but I love John S and want to give a second chance. What songs from Circles and the newest self titled album should I sample or download?

While hard pressed to pick, I'd recommend "Silence" and "Iowa City Adieu" from Circles. From the Hem/Autumn Defense CD "Bluebirds Fall" and from the newer self titled I love "Winterlight" Just my two cents! :)

I have tried with that band and most of it is a little too syrupy for me. But I'll tell you what, "The World (Will Soon Turn Our Way)" is beautiful in a kind of kitschy way. Feels like it could be in a movie like Harold and Maude. I even put it on a mix tape for someone once. Listen to the sample on itunes and see if you agree.

From Circles - The Sun in California, The Answer

From S/T - Winterlight, Canyon Arrow

How is the first album? I've never heard it.

Robin :)

The first album (The Green Hour) is ok, very poppy and smooth, but some of the lyrics are a little cringe worthy ex. "I need a social conscious woman". Overall a few standout tracks but has never blown me away by any means. BTW, I was so excited when John & Laurie came out, only to be slightly let down on that too. Who knows, maybe I should approach them different. Maybe it is me?

Ok if this thread should be elsewhere, sorry. I have the first Autumn Defense record and was always underwhelmed (probably should give it another try), but I love John S and want to give a second chance. What songs from Circles and the newest self titled album should I sample or download?

I personally am a big fan of "written in the snow" on circles, and I do like canyon arrow from the newest one. The lyrics on WITS, to me are powerful.

Personally I would just love to find their albums locally..but I'm thinking I'll be looking for them in St. Louis at local stores there.
Try Lauries when you are in Chicago....

LouieB

Tuesday Morning is quite an awesome track. Like The Answer, it reminds me of 9/11:

Tuesday morning sleeping in your clothes

Hiding something where no one ever goes

Somewhere

Somewhere

it's so right

Stay there

Stay there

In the light

Red umbrella floating down the street

It's raining downtown every time we meet

Christmas lights hang down from empty trees

In her place that no one really sees