MGMT - Oracular Spectacular

Anyone, heard the debut album from MGMT, "Oracular Spectacular"? I just recently got a hold of it, and so far I'm digging the shit out of it. Lot's of different songs, alot going on in them...

Anyone else?

-seth

*I get into lots of new music from this board. You kids are cool. Thanks!

The one song that iTunes gave away is a pretty good 45-type song.

few pretty great songs... few so-so ones

they're completely annoying live though. have seen them twice now (last Oct opening for Of Montreal) and then w/ Yeasayer in Feb, where they completely pissed off most of the crowd by the end of their set (didn't help that Yeasayer blew them away just before).

have heard some people say they've seen them do a decent set, so maybe they're just very hit or miss, but i dunno if i'll go see them again based on my 2 experiences.

Saw them at SXSW and they were really good, they are NOT NICE people though.

I really like the first five tracks on the record, then it goes downhill from there.

I too find the the album completely front-loaded. The first 4 tracks are absolutely outstanding and then it's extremely hit-and-miss.

also worth noting from their headlining show in Feb... this band attracts major frat dicks & d-bags

but yeah, album is def frontloaded, i'd agree. Time To Pretend ended up fairly high on my fave songs of '07 list, but weird that it didn't get too much press in Oct when it was initially released, even though they're on a major label and it was produced by Fridmann, etc.

and i gotta say.. Electric Feel... sure that song is fun and sure disco is fun/funny when tongue in cheek and retro, but the major riff and synth line from that song are totally ripped off some 70's disco song that I can't quite put my finger on it. the lyrics are also quite retarded too (not saying they're a band prone to good lyrics, but some of them are shockingly bad).

Have to agree with my two learned friends that the album tends to die out after the first four tracks. But I love the shit outta those tracks. Electric Feel is totally a Prince rip off but at least it isn't a Tom Jones rip off or something equally hideous.