Spiritual High - Moodswings

She Kissed me - Terence Trent D'Arby

Ballad Of Peter Pumpkinhead - XTC

Low Self Opinion - Rollins Band

Hang On - Teenage Fanclub

Regina - Sugarcubes

here Comes Your Man - Pixies

Hot, Hot, Hot, - The Cure

What was i thinking with this mix???? :stunned It's all over the place!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stooka,

I had a real thing for that Slackjawed song by the Connells and still have a thing for older Buffalo Tom. Thanks for the memories! We definitely coulda hung out, flannels and all! I don't think I have any old mixtapes around, but I know I made a good many that involved Frank Black, REM, they might be giants, NIN, and that vein of the 90s alternative sound. It's funny how much effort and intensity it took to get a mixtape just right back in the day and how pathetically easy it is to make one with itunes. It's almost not worth the (lack of) effort. :ohwell

And nice topic, Pop Todd!

What was i thinking with this mix???? :stunned It's all over the place!

That's the best kind!!!

• 3 weeks later...

i think i made my first mix tape 14 years ago at thirteen...went something like

last beat of my heart- siouxsie and the banshees

in dreams- roy orbison

louise- human league

sweet dreams- split enz

all in all- dexy's midnight runners

weight of the world- erasure

somebody's cryin- chris isaak

just like you- roxy music

this must be the place- talking heads

sweet thing- van morrison

spring collection- the vapors

Achin to be- Replacements

Throw Your Arms Around Me- Hunters and Collectors

Sometimes- James

Lose this skin- Clash

Western Sky- American Music Club

Sun Gone Down- House of Freaks

Joan of Arc- OMD

Distant Sun- Crowded House

Points of View- Squeeze

This is It- Hothouse Flowers

Innocent Child- Big Audio Dynamite

Take Me Out- Red House Painters

All the Rage- Elvis Costello

What a weird kid!

side 1

Dark Star

side 2

Dark Star (continued)

:ninja

Ok, in all seriousness, I'll have to look for some of my old mixes. I'm not sure anyone I gave them to ever enjoyed them as much as I did--I have a tendency to genre-hop a lot, so I totally agree that the best mixes are all over the place! CD mixes are nice and convenient, but tapes allowed for so much more weirdness in the editing and transitions, which made for a more interesting experience. :stunned

I had trouble sticking to a genre myself. Does anyone remember the group of 2 second songs at the end of They Might Be Giants' "Apollo 18"? I cut those apart and scattered them between other songs all over a mix I made in high school. I'm sure the same one probably had Blatz, Pearl Jam, and Harry Connick Jr. with at least one children's song mixed in. Obviously I was the only one who could ever truly appreciate my masterpieces.

side 1

Dark Star

side 2

Dark Star (continued)

:ninja

:cheers Nice - you should use that one to lull your baby to sleep. That's what I did. :stunned

Summer mix 84 or 85 (I don't Remember)

Cramps - Surfin Dead

Gun Club - Jack on Fire

Cult - She Sells Sanctuary

REM - Life and How to Live it

David Byrne - Big Blue Plymouth

Kate Bush - Running up the hill

Cure - Love Cats

Toots and the Maytals - Pomp and Pride

Tones on Tail - Go!

Shriekback - My Spin is The Base line

Magazine - Permafrost

AUASA - Sun City

This Mortal Coil - Drugs

OMD - 88 seconds in Greensboro

Side B

13 Engines - Come Back to Me Lover

Mats - Waitress in the Sky

Husker Du - Songs about UFOs

Bob Dylan - Rainy Day Woman #12 and #35

Fairport Convention - Si Tu Dois Partir

(can't read the rest. Hash Oil resin damage)

that's a great mix. i'm going try and re-construct one we used to play at parties we had at our apartment my sophomore year of college (1990/1991):

Side A:

Frank Zappa - Catholic Girls

Too Much Joy - That's A Lie

Pursuit of Happiness - Hard to Laugh

Guns & Roses - Rocket Queen

Soul Asylum - Sometime to Return

Figures on a Beach - Accidentally 4th Street (Gloria) [Remix]

P.I.L. - Seattle

Little America - Mary Jane

Love/Hate - Blackout in the Red Room

Ministry - Land of Rape and Honey

Replacements - Red Red Wine

Public Enemy - Bring the Noise

Side B:

Shadrach - Beastie Boys

La La Love You - Pixies

Never Enough - L.A. Guns

Fire Woman - The Cult

Good Time Boys - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Good Times Bad Times - Led Zeppelin

Steppin' to the A.M. - 3rd Bass

I'm the Man - Anthrax

Mountain Song - Jane's Addiction

Last Train to Transcentral - KLF

Flashlight - Parliament

At least that's how I remember it.

I'm going to dig through my stuff tonight. Al and I used to make mixes for each other a lot. His were always more cohesive than mine. :lol

My biggest musical shift came about because of a mix tape. A really cool guy my cousin had dated made her a mix tape as part of an attempt to get her back. She immediately gave it to me because she wanted nothing to do with him. I think I was maybe 13 at the time. It had Camper Van Beethoven, Crowded House, The Cure, XTC....oh, I wish I could remember more. But that tape changed my perceptions of music forever. Up to that point I was either listening to pop, a little radio friendly hair metal, or License To Ill, and I only discovered them because Mike D was cute. That tape flipped the light switch on and I never looked back.

My cousin ended up marrying a total schmuck with no interesting qualities, by the way. I still wish she had stuck with the cool one.

i'm a firm believer a good mix can change your life. i'm also a firm believer that the death of the casette/CD will kill the concept...it's too easy to move onto otther things when listening to a 'digital' version.

Since I purchased my dad's old rack system I've started making tapes again. It feels so right.

i'm a firm believer a good mix can change your life. i'm also a firm believer that the death of the casette/CD will kill the concept...it's too easy to move onto otther things when listening to a 'digital' version.

After they started making the cassette players that could detect the end of a song when on fast forward and then stop, it was all downhill from there.

Since I purchased my dad's old rack system I've started making tapes again. It feels so right.

i always made mine on a dual deck boomobox covered w/ stickers from kiss bubblegum cards. except the first one i made for yvette using a buddy's mixing board.

I was huge on mixtapes - but most of my own were artist-centric. I can only think of a couple of real mixes. One I called "A Collection Of Songs To Be Played In The Summertime" (or ACOSTBPITS, phonetically spoken). Part of me pretended I was a world-famous artist and it was my new album. I also pretended that same artist (me) made U2's "Achtung Baby" but it was called "Spectacular Cornish Game Hen, Ma! Spectacular Cornish Game Hen!"

I have a lot pf problems.

I was huge on mixtapes - but most of my own were artist-centric. I can only think of a couple of real mixes. One I called "A Collection Of Songs To Be Played In The Summertime" (or ACOSTBPITS, phonetically spoken). Part of me pretended I was a world-famous artist and it was my new album. I also pretended that same artist (me) made U2's "Achtung Baby" but it was called "Spectacular Cornish Game Hen, Ma! Spectacular Cornish Game Hen!"

:wub

I think there is some stuff like that at the link I posted. Maybe your tape is on there.

My 1982 VW Rabbit was totaled in a crash in the mid-nineties, and the tape I was listening to at the time was by Galloping Dead Fish - my friend and me, 14 years old, singing original Christmas songs about characters we made up (titles included "Rubber Boots' Christmas" & "Harvey's Tree"). I like to think it's "out there" somewhere. Maybe those dudes have it.