trying to plan a "surprise" trip, was curious if anyone had been to, or could recommend places, in Mexico or South America, preferably something with surf possibilities, don't need 60' waves, but regular waves, anyway, if you've been somewhere down there, please share - Trying to get out of the box . . . gracias

I did a trip to Santiago, Vina Del Mar and Valparaso Chile then I went to Buenos Aires and Colonia Uruguay! I had a wonderful time! The food was awesome in all locations and the dollar goes really far. Buenos Aires feels like Paris and has great parks and sites. Chile is a little on the smoggy side but the sites were amazing. The Andes were beautiful! I also took some wonderful winery tours, yum! I booked my vacation on virgin-vacations.com back in 2004 and it ran about $1100 for an 8 day trip for Chile and Argentina, tranfers, hotels and all flights between from NYC! This was certianly one of the most interesting trips I have taken! :thumbup

PS Not sure about surfing but both Chile and Argentina have a lot of coastline!

We went to Santa Catalina, Panama for Thanksgiving last year and loved it. It takes a bit to get there from Panama City, but it isn't too expensive, it has great surf and there is terrific diving and snorkeling, particularly out at Isla Coiba. We also loved the fact that is relatively remote. We were there at the tail end of the rainy season so it wasn't crowded. I'm nit sure what it would be like during high season, but there are probably less than 50 hotel rooms in the entire town. I can send you some pics if you're interested.

BTW, I'm assuming you didn't mean to exclude Central America as I am well aware that Panama is in neither Mexico nor S. America. ;)

when I was in South America, I visited a little beach/surf town in Ecuador called Montanita. It was heaven - great vibe, friendly, laid-back people, good restaurants, and definitely off the beaten path. Let me know if you want more information. :dancing

• 2 weeks later...

Ecuador is a very nice place. Havent been there since they converted to the US dollar but it was one very, very affordable place to spend time. People are friendly, scenery is beautiful and if you like volcanoes, its the place to be.