Elvis Costello Reveals All About 'Momofuku'

Elvis Costello

April 22, 2008, 2:05 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Elvis Costello has taken to his Web site to reveal the story behind "Momofuku," his new album that was released exclusively on vinyl today (April 22).

The album includes a download card that can be activated on May 1; a CD release follows on May 6 via Lost Highway.

ABSO-MOMOFUKU-LY

By now, some of you may have heard rumour of an album called "Momofuku" and wonder what this record is...

Well, the real version is pressed on two pieces of black plastic with a whole in the middle. You may prefer other, more portable, less scratchable, editions that will soon become available for your convenience but this is how it sounds the best: with a needle in a groove, the way the Supreme Being intended it to be

I thought it was cool he was doing vinyl only, but his label must have pressured him into CD:

http://www.amazon.com/Momofuku-Elvis-Coste...7806&sr=8-1

At any rate, I got the vinyl but haven't played it yet. There is a Momofuku stencil included.

Elvis Costello has taken to his Web site to reveal the story behind "Momofuku," his new album that was released exclusively on vinyl today (April 22).

The album includes a download card that can be activated on May 1; a CD release follows on May 6 via Lost Highway.

They did not pressure him, it probably just made sense. The CD does not come out for like another 2 weeks.

As I recall reading somewhere (Harp?) Mr. Costello is not to happy about people monkeying with the track order of his releases, as well as, people snagging music for free. So maybe he is trying to put a stop to that - for a short period of time, anyhow. Didn't The White Stripes release one of their albums this way a few years ago?

I called the two spots in NYC that I usually trek to for my vinyl. Neither had it.

So, last night I went to the website and begrudgingly ordered it online (you know, with ground delivery, 100 years before it gets delivered, etc.)

Got an email this morning that the album is on backorder and wont ship for 1-4 weeks. 1-4 weeks!!!!! This album was only released yesterday on vinyl and it's already on backorder.

:(