my morning jacket @ coachella, 4.27.8

this is the first time i've been to the coachella fest. i live in los angeles, but not being from here i have some ingrained prejudices about the place. i imagined the worst of la. culture at the fest. boy, i was way off. it was terrific!

the fest is much smaller than other fests i've attended. it's not impossible to get from one end to the other in 5 min! water was $2/bottle. there were some really well planned components to the fest. (ok. i digress...less big picture)

the band came out just as the sun was setting. this place is BEAUTIFUL at dusk. holy cats. :omg

setlist:

--one big holiday: during the guitar picking section just before the big end, jim was mouthed the words, "going...going...going..." couldn't tell if he actually said "gone."

--off the record: w/m. ward! jim introduced him as: m. motherfucking ward

--i'm amazed

--evil urges: marc is cooking up some FAB purple and green lights for this one :cheers

--wordless chorus

--highly suspicious: jim sang one "high" that lasted for about 17 minutes. OUTSTANDING! his voice was cracking a bit during some of the songs but then he would hit these crucial notes that clear your head. awesome.

--lay low: :guitar

--anytime: the crowd LOOOOOOVED this! :banana

--gideon!

--smokin from shootin :love

--touch me pt 2: THIS FEELING IT IS WONDERFUUUUUUL...DON'T YOU EVER TURN IT OFF!! *booty shake* i love that this song combines mucho hip wiggling AND hollering at the top of your lungs. ( :dancing + :yay )

--style points: bo was rocking this very coool brown hat. i'm sure there are pix somewhere...

as their set ended my friend paul said we should make a break for it to catch part of sons and daughters. we weaved thru the crowds at a sprint, were able to get to the front of the crowd on one side of the stage. i was alternately singing and clutching the cramp in my side. :lol

for the record: i had roasted corn on the cob, but declined the churro.

o-man, realize this is a lightweight review, but i'm opting in the direction of sleep tonight. :yawn

Thanks sweet pea! I was just giving you shit. Off The Record seems a bit odd of a tune to play w/ Matt, was he electric, any back up vocals? Listening to the sxsw Jim and Matt show, it was stellar to see these two pull off some of mmj's heavier full band material, really shed some of the songs in a new light!

Glad you had a good time!

man, this makes me want to see them live so much. I just bought their DVD yesterday. Are they planning on adding any more North American dates soon?

i'd imagine their full fall US dates for late August-October will be announced sometime soon here

thanks for the link, stooka!!

GREAT pix! soooo clear!

i love the one with m. in the foreground, and tom in the back. looking past the rack of bass guitars, you can see palm tree silhouettes. lovely!

and there is a quality shot of bo's hat & shades combo. snappy!

wait a minnit...

did you post this before or after the wilco pre-sale??? :brow

i thought you might have to take a pass on louisville. was i mistaken?! :w00t

Fuck yeah! Too bad I missed it. I went saturday only and was slightly disappointed at the whole thing. It was my first time too and I perfer Austin City Limits any day.

Although, my highlight for the weekend (which may tell you how much I did not enjoy the bands on Saturday) was seeing Adam Goldberg and David Hasselhoff within 5 minutes of each other in the tent next to the stage. Goldberg is such a bad ass and, well, Hoff is the Hoff!! He was will three chicks half his age