Wilco 05-07-08 -- Grand Junction

Just got back from the show! It was one of the most amazing Wilco shows that I've ever seen. The crowd was wild and the band was tight. Highlights for me were That's not the Issue, Kamera, California Stars, and an epic Kingpin. I hope someone posts the set here... since I'm zapped and have no idea what happened. From the last time that I saw Wilco they seem like a completely different band. America's "Greatest Rock Band" indeed.

Hasta Pastas!

Charlie

I also saw a taper there. Said he'd post the show on etree or dimeadozen.

Ok... I'm gonna try to reconstruct as much of the setlist as possible... now this is going to be laughable (don't even consider this to be near the correct order).

Remember the Mountain Bed

You are My Face

Company in My Back

I am Trying to Break Your Heart

Kamera

Side with the Seeds

A Shot in the Arm

(Now some songs that people requested... which only one of us wanted to hear XD)

That's Not the Issue

Magazine Called Sunset

(End request songs)

Too Far Apart

Theologians

Impossible Germany

California Stars

Jesus, Etc.

I'm the Man Who Loves You

Via Chicago

1st Encore

Heavy Metal Drummer

Walken

The Late Greats

Red-Eyed and Blue >

I Got You

2nd Encore

Hate It Here

Kingpin

I'm a Wheel

Now I believe that's all of the songs... out of order except for the 2nd encore. I still can't believe they played in Grand Junction. Hope everyone who's going to Colorado Springs has fun. Wilco's gonna rock your world.

Ok... I'm gonna try to reconstruct as much of the setlist as possible... now this is going to be laughable (don't even consider this to be near the correct order).

You are My Face

Company in My Back

I am Trying to Break Your Heart

Kamera

Side with the Seeds

A Shot in the Arm

(Now some songs that people requested... which only one of us wanted to hear XD)

That's Not the Issue

Magazine Called Sunset

(End request songs)

Too Far Apart

Theologians

Impossible Germany

California Stars

Jesus, Etc.

Via Chicago

1st Encore

Heavy Metal Drummer

Walken

The Late Greats

Red-Eyed and Blue >

I Got You

2nd Encore

Hate It Here

Kingpin

I'm a Wheel

Now I believe that's all of the songs... out of order except for the 2nd encore. I still can't believe they played in Grand Junction. Hope everyone who's going to Colorado Springs has fun. Wilco's gonna rock your world.

How did you know they played a song that someone requested?

Nice to see them in such a small venue. Bought popcorn after Retribution Gospel Choir who were outstanding. The sound was good there, for some reason where I was sitting Tweedy's guitar was louder than ever, I could still hear Nels but he was more subtle on the volume register. Also I was sitting down, in the balcony for the first time at a Wilco show. Two nice changes in perspective from the other times.

From the opening three I was loving it, I thought they were set to traverse the many corners of their catalog. As it worked out they ended up hitting only big, fun, rockers for the last dozen songs or so. I think they were playing to their crowd (many funny comments from Tweedy about GJ folks looking "sturdy" and looking "more like mountain folks, I mean that in a good way"). I saw some good old boys up front jumping around. All good things, but I admit when they kick in to four chord rock mode some times they seem like they're playing with their eyes closed in autopilot. I have always enjoyed how their sets, especially the endings, are usually peppered with some all out rockers, but I missed hearing a few more dynamic, or earnest numbers in the mix.

Band was in high spirits Glenn and Pat were throwing towels at each other, it looked like Mikael was tossing something back and forth to a crew member. Nels Cline was in combat boot pogo dance glee, as always. "I'm a Wheel" was one of the best of the rockers and a good way to close the night. Yee haw Grand Junction!

Here's the setlist from Grand Junction in the correct order:

Company in My Back

You Are My Face

Side With the Seeds

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

Kamera

A Shot in the Arm

Via Chicago

California Stars

Impossible Germany

That's Not the Issue*

A Magazine Called Sunset*

Too Far Apart

Jesus Etc.

Thelogians

E 1:

Heavy Metal Drummer

Walken

Red Eyed and Blue

I Got You

The Late Greats

E 2:

Hate It Here

Kingpin

I'm A Wheel

*Tweedy said that these songs were requests from the internet that "will make one person out there happy".

Hi everyone. Just saw GJ, Csprings and the Que in a row. All shows were great, but i have to say that this one was really rowdy. they played about 25 min out of the gate, really hot, before tweedy even said anything to the crowd.

He must have felt good, too, because the next night in the Springs, he asked if anybody was at the GJ show the night before. He said that it was like the bar scene in blazing saddles. In a good way.

anyhoo, great time.

well, this was my first Wilco show and it was smokin! Had tickets to a show in Denver back in 04, but had to sell them...

I was pleasntly surprised as how rocking it was and Mr. Tweedy and the whole band are total professionals. It was one of those concerts that left me buzzing for days afterwards

I hope whoever taped the show gets it up soon...I'm dying to hear this one again.

Cheers!