...and I don't know what to do.

Ok, I know that not everybody here is from Chicago, I'm not that naive (but I am PRETTY naive, don't forget). BUT, I figured since this is thread is all about Wilco, and I'm sure Chicago has a pretty decent Wilco fan base, I'm going to assume somebody here is from Chicago.

So, me and the misses (I've always loved using the term 'misses' since the worm on Labyrinth used it) are thinking about heading up to Chicago for the weekend (May 16-18) and was wondering if anything was going on. I'll accept any recommendations; music, art exhibitions, festivals, and anything else you can think of are much appreciated. Also, any stable staples that one might want to check out (i.e. specific art museum, great - but not too expensive - restraunt).

Thanks in advance for anything you have to offer :)

I'm going there next weekend too! I'm not from Chicago but visit often because of family and my favorite things I've done in the past are...Second City, Navy Pier, Cubs game...

Also, the Bottle Rockets are playing that Saturday night at the Beat Kitchen

Time Out Chicago Guide

Also, you should go to the Art Institute and the Museum of Science and Industry both have amazing things to see, and the M of S & I has a Glass exhibit going on now. If you walk outside the Art Institute you can see the Bean and where Lolla is played. Check out the amazing bus system and walk, don't drive anywhere. If you drive to town, park at your hotel and leave your car there, because the parking costs are nuts and it's not easy finding somewhere to park.

Hey Analogman...can you help this person get the innummerable threads that have dealt with this??

Maybe someone can put up links to all the stuff we have talked about for years here. Sorry to be cranky, but we have given tons of ideas over the years and it is getting boring.....there are tons of music clubs, bars, plays, restaurants, neighborhoods to explore, els to ride, parks, places to stay, stores to go to, etc. etc etc.

If this person wants to contact me on PM I will try and be more helpful.

LouieB

Hey Analogman...can you help this person get the innummerable threads that have dealt with this??

Maybe someone can put up links to all the stuff we have talked about for years here. Sorry to be cranky, but we have given tons of ideas over the years and it is getting boring.....there are tons of music clubs, bars, plays, restaurants, neighborhoods to explore, els to ride, parks, places to stay, stores to go to, etc. etc etc.

LouieB

People don't like it when I do that - so I usually don't do such things anymore. As you said - there are probably many threads on this - in this section of the board. That is a good idea - someone should find all the links - and put them in one place.

People don't like it when I do that - so I usually don't do such things anymore. As you said - there are probably many threads on this - in this section of the board. That is a good idea - someone should find all the links - and put them in one place.

I like it particularly in this instance. As much as I like Hot Dougs, there are thousands of great restaurants and other stuff going on in Chicago. We need to have some sort of record of what people have suggested in the past so we don't go over the same territory over and over again.

I thought we had talked about it being pinned...I am not sure why it never has been...

Yea, I did too....it isn't dissing this poster, she or he wants suggestions and I think we can certainly give she/he some stuff going on this weekend, but why repeat endlessly the standard stuff like the museums and clubs which don't go any where in the inbetween.

Bottle Rockets huh? I could go for that...

LoueiB

LouieB

Just a freindly reminder, you do actually have the option of not reading every thread. Most new computer mice have the handy you-don't-have-to-click-stuff-you-don't-want-to feature.

Just a freindly reminder, you do actually have the option of not reading every thread. Most new computer mice have the handy you-don't-have-to-click-stuff-you-don't-want-to feature.

hey if you are coming to Prescott, Arizona I would be glad to tell you all the neat things to see.

hey if you are coming to Prescott, Arizona I would be glad to tell you all the neat things to see.

Now that's the kind of attitude we are looking for :)

So just out of curiousity, since I know nothing about Prescott, is there anything worthwhile there? Or were you being sarcastic?

Now that's the kind of attitude we are looking for :)

So just out of curiousity, since I know nothing about Prescott, is there anything worthwhile there? Or were you being sarcastic?

Prescott is the awesome.

Dude -

You know why he clicked on this thread? Because he is usually the one who answers the question you posted. And yes, it has been asked many, many times over the years. He has helped more people on here than you will ever know - don't disrespect him. That goes for the rest of you too.

You are right..I don't have to read this stuff, but since I have helped literally dozens of people on here with shit to do in Chicago, I feel like I can ASK to have some old threads brought up so you can have the entire picture of what really is to do around here. I guess you really aren't that interested in what Chicago has to offer, since I offered to talk to you in private to give you a hand and somehow you didn't feel that was helpful.

Every few weeks we have someone asking what there is to do in Chicago. Well guess what?? This is a big city with tons of stuff to do. What do you like, what are you looking for, where are you from, are you male or female, Are you old young, vegetarian, meat eater, rich, poor, have a car, interested in art, like plays, what are your musical interests, etc, etc etc. Not only do I enjoy helping people have a good time in MY town, I also have been known to actually help them get places, give them my passes to the museums, or even drive them around if I actually know them. We have no idea if you have been here before and if you have a notion of what it is like.

So rather than being shallow and vague and upset because I am suggesting that you read some previous threads, maybe show a bit of respect as well. It is bullshit for you to get upset that maybe we suggest that this question has been asked before and that there may be some information here that has been imparted previously. If you hung out here a bit you will find out that I am not being a dick about this, I just think we need some sort of basic idea of what you would really like AND maybe we could pin a thread that would talk about tourist stuff so that we don't have to repeat the same thing over and over again each time someone new comes to ask for advice. Is that really so difficult to understand??

Now if you would like to start over, feel free to PM me (if you know how to do that) and we can have an actual civil and fruitful conversation.

LouieB

Dude -

You know why he clicked on this thread? Because he is usually the one who answers the question you posted. And yes, it has been asked many, many times over the years. He has helped more people on here than you will ever know - don't disrespect him. That goes for the rest of you too.

Thanks Mike.....

Not only am I NOT a dick in real life, I actually know and like any number of people here in real life as well. Sorry I got a bit cranky (at least I said I WAS being cranky and admitted it) , but honestly this isn't Prescott, Arizona (although if I make it down there I know who to ask now...), it is a huge city, the third largest in the USA. It goes on for miles and miles in all directions with dozens of very interesting neighborhoods, some of which can be downright scary, and others that you may need some serious cash to have a good time in. We also have dozens of festivals, hundreds of theaters, thousands of good places to eat (some dirt cheap, some world class expensive), more music than you can ever hear in lifetime with musicians coming from every part of the world to play and also lots of very fun and talented local musicians. We have public transportation that can really suck if you don't know where you are going and cabbies who can drive you all over and charge you alot if you don't have an idea of where you are going (not unlike NYC). There are thousands of variables. Have you been here before or a first timer.

If you had looked at either the Time Out or Reader sites, you would know I am not lying. Hell I have lived here for decades and continue to find interesting stuff to do and places I have never been EVER. The longer I live here the more amazed I am at exactly how crazy big this place is and how no one can give a simple answer to what there is to do.

Okay NOW I am really cranky...I am outta here...

LouieB

...but honestly this isn't Prescott, Arizona (although if I make it down there I know who to ask now...), it is a huge city, the third largest in the USA. It goes on for miles and miles in all

LouieB

I would love if people actually came to Prescott. Especially Mike. I live within blocks of many of the filming locations for Billy Jack, Junior Bonner, The Getaway, and others.

I would love if people actually came to Prescott. Especially Mike. I live within blocks of many of the filming locations for Billy Jack, Junior Bonner, The Getaway, and others.
You never know......we all might show up.

LouieB

I hate the internet for this reason. When I replied, I was being sarcastic; I was joking. But unfortunately that didn't come across as others read it, and instead people feel the need to write 5 paragraphs in defense of something that didn't need to be defended.

I hate the internet for this reason. When I replied, I was being sarcastic; I was joking. But unfortunately that didn't come across as others read it, and instead people feel the need to write 5 paragraphs in defense of something that didn't need to be defended.

But you wrote:

You should know with your 45 years of internet experience that what you wrote would not come across as just a joke. It reads like what it is - an annoyed response.