Favorite album(s) by....

I will say that. someone like Karen Dalton, who was popular amongst the folk singers of the time, but didn't want to record & make it big (but is kind of being rediscovered now) is an american female folk singer who wipes the floor with Joan Baez's talent, and she doesn't shove her bleeding heart liberalism down your throat whilst she's doing so. sing a song, or do a speech - not both at the same time!

I suppose you have to remember that the folk movement was associated with liberalism - in this country, anyhow.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose you have to remember that the folk movement was associated with liberalism - in this country, anyhow.

the folk revival, yeah. but, i bet those old timers they were all stealing the tunes from either didn't care or were a mixed bag politically. which is why, to me that early folk music holds up far better today - cos the music came first.

it's not that i have a problem with the civil rights movement and all that - from a politcal stance, it's just that 99% of the music is not enjoyable to listen to.

I don't know if I agree with that - but then again, I am not a folk music expert. I don't really know a lot about it, just some stuff I learned from reading books and watching various documentaries.

I'd much rather hear this: Bootleg Series Vol. 2 - 01 Seven Curses than say, Leopard Skin Pill Box Hat. When I was 15 or so, it probably would have been the opposite.

The old, I can't stand Joan Baez and her voice is so tired. Admittedly she is now not the "star" she was in the 60s, but she did ALOT for Dylan's career including ecording what were wonderful versions of his songs on her own albums, bringing alot of attention to him. Even now she continues to promote his songs, some of which are primarily known because of her, including Mama you've been on my mind and Love is Just a four letter word among others.

We've done this here before (natch), but the fact that I can't stand two seconds of her singing has no affect on my knowledge that she is an important factor in Dylan's early career, and a hot chick to boot.

We've done this here before (natch), but the fact that I can't stand two seconds of her singing has no affect on my knowledge that she is an important factor in Dylan's early career, and a hot chick to boot.
I really think this is a case of you had to be there, not that I entirely was, but my sister who was about three years older had all her records back in the day. She was the role model for early 60s folk female artists and while that period and that style have long since passed her importance to the urban folk revival is unsurpassed. Even now people who liked her, don't necessarily like the the originals of the songs she covered (meaning the old songs, not the contemporary songs such as Dylan, etc.) because what she did was wash out the twang and put a very polished sheen on very old and rural characteristics of that material.

"Postively 4th Street" is a must read about Dylan/Baez and her family connections. A touch snarky, but seemingly well informed.

LouieB

She was the role model for early 60s folk female artists and while that period and that style have long since passed her importance to the urban folk revival is unsurpassed.

You're preaching to the choir - she was crazy important, yes. In addition to that, she has a voice that affects me like a nine-volt battery touching my tongue.

I read that book. I forgot about it though. I am still a bit amazed about some of the stuff in Suze's book.

Never did read it, I bet it has some juicy stuff though...

Way off the Dylan album topic, but for a time when Bob and Joan were at least trying to sing together and did so somewhat successfully, check out "God on Our Side" from the Newport Broadside 1963 album. This sort of works. Dylan wasn't totally trying to sing on his own and Joan seems to keep up and not over do it.

LouieB

Never did read it, I bet it has some juicy stuff though...

Way off the Dylan album topic, but for a time when Bob and Joan were at least trying to sing together and did so somewhat successfully, check out "God on Our Side" from the Newport Broadside 1963 album. This sort of works. Dylan wasn't totally trying to sing on his own and Joan seems to keep up and not over do it.

LouieB

Somewhat. She gives us a good history of the scene. It's not just all about Dylan. She tells use a lot about their mutual friends and other assorted people who were around, as well as, her own life.

Another great one:

Bob Dylan - Positively 4th Street

Is this the same one from the Newport DVD? That is a good version.

• 3 weeks later...

Link found at Expecting Rain

Another mention of the Blood on The Tracks re-issue:

2 CD Legacy Edition of Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks

Includes the released album on one disc, and the original "NY version" on the second (this is the one that was completely cut from the NY sessions). Add bonus tracks like the alternate "Shelter from the Storm" with an extra verse (on the "Jerry Maguire" soundtrack), "Up to Me" and "Call Letter Blues," and you're grand.

i dont see the point of this when about 5 songs are the same between each sessions, arent they?. they could have made it and extended single disk

Actually, they are quite different. Verses, lyrics, tuning, arrangement, chord progressions, ...

I especially think the NY versions of TUIB & Idiot Wind are superior to there Minnesota cousins.

The complete Blood on the Tracks sessions is in order. Not only are the alternative takes (the originals actually) amazing, they have been floating around in both bootleg versions and some non-bootleg versions for some time. Might as well make some money on them and get them all in one place.

Up to Me is a great song...

LouieB

That song is on Biograph, as is You're a Big Girl Now (the other version).

And on The Bootlege Series, Volume 1-3:

Tangled Up in Blue (September 16, 1974) Blood on the Tracks alternate take

Call Letter Blues" (September 16, 1974) Blood on the Tracks outtake

Idiot Wind (September 19, 1974) Blood on the Tracks alternate take

If You See Her, Say Hello (September 16, 1974) Blood on the Tracks alternate take

So I wonder what else they will give us besides what is listed.

That song is on Biograph, as is You're a Big Girl Now (the other version).

And on The Bootlege Series, Volume 1-3:

Tangled Up in Blue (September 16, 1974) Blood on the Tracks alternate take

Call Letter Blues" (September 16, 1974) Blood on the Tracks outtake

Idiot Wind (September 19, 1974) Blood on the Tracks alternate take

If You See Her, Say Hello (September 16, 1974) Blood on the Tracks alternate take

So I wonder what else they will give us besides what is listed.

Up to Me is on Biograph as well...

Hey there could be all kinds of alternate takes we don't know about. You know how this goes. There could be tons of material at Sony/Columbia...or not...

LouieB

i really wish they'd stop overlooking the period from 1967 to 1974. there are absolutely hundreds of songs they could make a brilliant compilation out of (the dylan album, new morning sessions, johnny cash session, the george harrison session, the basement tapes etc....) also, a song like Money Blues from the desire period is far more interesting to hear than alt takes from Blood On The Tracks. we should only start having to buy alt takes of everything after he's put out all his unreleased songs first, surely.

i really wish they'd stop overlooking the period from 1967 to 1974. there are absolutely hundreds of songs they could make a brilliant compilation out of (the dylan album, new morning sessions, johnny cash session, the george harrison session, the basement tapes etc....) also, a song like Money Blues from the desire period is far more interesting to hear than alt takes from Blood On The Tracks. we should only start having to buy alt takes of everything after he's put out all his unreleased songs first, surely.

If we all live long enough this will happen. We know that every shred of any artist of importance finally does see the light of day eventually. But additional Bootleg Series like the original 1-3 are certainly in order...

(I am waiting on the complete Dylan/Ginsburg sessions myself....)

LouieB

Guest Gym Teacher Man

I've listened to Desire a bunch over the last few days after the discussion a few pages back. I've struggled over the years to get into this one, and while I've warmed up to it significantly, I still think it pales in comparison to at least 10 of his other albums. Not really a bad song on here, just not my favorite. I do quite enjoy Black Diamond Bay, Mozambique and Sara.