I'm leaving tomorrow for a week in Berlin. Most of my days will be consumed with work related obligations, but I will have a couple days to explore and see the city. Anybody have any recommendations or suggestions for me?

Thanks.

Ryan

I spent some time in Berlin about eight years ago, and I loved it. The funny thing is, I can't remember a whole lot of specific "don't miss this" type of stuff. I was visiting a friend who lived there, and just really enjoyed walking around everywhere, riding the U and S bahns, hanging around with locals, and just generally experiencing life in the city. We went to a club called Tresor, which was pretty fun. I remember lots of smoke. The Reichstag is impressive and worth a visit. We also visited the Guggenheim Berlin, which at the time was hosting a Jeff Koons exhibit. I also recall a fantastic flea market near where my friend lived, but sadly I can't remember where that was. Any flea market would probably be a winner, though.

Have a great time - I'd love to make it back there. Share pictures.

Pergammon (?) museum. It was built specifically for 3 ancient wonders, very cool place.

Top floor of the Ka De We department store for the classiest food court you can imagine.

It's been 15 years (!?) since I have been there, but those are the two things that stuck out.

Have fun, the city is HUGE! but both of those things are somewhat near the center.

Have a great time!

I lived in Berlin from 1988 to 1990 and was actually at the Brandenburg Gate the night the wall fell. :yes There is a song that goes "I still have a suitcase in Berlin", which means no matter how far & long time away you are, you always come back.

Definitely go and see the "musts" like Checkpoint Charlie with the attached GDR Museum, the Holocaust Monument is pretty impressive too. I agree with Brianne about the Reichstag and the whole government quarter including the "Kanzleramt" which looks like a washmashine and therefore is called just that ;)

Of course the Brandenburg Gate, walk slowly through it and imagine thousands of people shedding tears of joy in a cold November night 1989. Take a minute and go into the "Room Of Silence" which is in one of the pillars, and try to reflect the amazing things that happened on that night.

The new "Berlin-Mitte" is amazing, visit the "Potsdamer Platz" including the fantastic shopping gallery, the Sony Center and the outstanding buildings they created within only a bit more than 10 years.

And definitely go to "Prenzlauer Berg", an incredibly cool quarter close to the "Alexanderplatz" (former East Berlin), you will find loads of vintage shops, galleries, cute little places to eat and interesting people.

Never ever miss out on the "Ku-Damm" (most famous shopping mile which is actually 7 km long including the Tauentzienstrasse which it continues in), visit the "KaDeWe" (Kaufhaus des Westens), the biggest department store besides "Harrods" in Europe, which has the largest food temple (even worldwide I think). You can find no less than 759 different kinds of ham there.

On the "Ku-Damm" (Kurfuerstendamm) go into the "Europacenter" (the tall building with the Mercedes star on the roof), and stand in awe in front of the "Clock of Floating Time", a sight you will never forget!

Next to the Europe Center, you will see the Memorial Church, "Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedaechtniskirche", which got mostly destroyed in WWII and now serves as a monument. Very impressive.

I could go on for hours, but unfortunately you don't have that much time. Still, enjoy every minute in this unique city :cheers