So I bought E and G harmonica's and a holder so I could play Tweedy style (accompaniment with guitar). I've got the harmonica part to She's a Jar down perfect, but man the part in the solo version of Sunken Treasure is hard! I guess just like everything else it's going to take a lot of practice.

Any other harp players around?

I love the sound of the harp. Right now I have 7 of them including one chromatic one. I mainly use them for recording purposes and accompaniment while playing the acoustic guitar.

I find myself trying to work harp parts into songs quite often. It really is an expressive instrument that doesn't get used nearly enough anymore.

Yeah, I plan to play out solo soon, and the harp would fill in the gaps. Right now I'm working on single notes (it's harder than it looks).

He does. And as with his guitar playing (especially his acoustic finger picking,) I think his skills are vastly underrated. What key harp are you using on She's A Jar, G?

He does. And as with his guitar playing (especially his acoustic finger picking,) I think his skills are vastly underrated. What key harp are you using on She's A Jar, G?

Yes, I am using a G. I bought the E and the G just for those two songs (she's a jar and sunken treasure). The melody in She's a Jar is actually pretty easy.

Speaking of playing out solo, one thing that bothers me is that 80% of my songs are Wilco/Jeff Tweedy songs!

I just can't help it though.. I just love to play Jeffs solo songs, and most of the other bands I listen to don't work very well acoustic.

My setlist is like:

Wilco

Wilco

Wilco

Beatles

Wilco

Wilco

MMJ

etc. etc..... Oh well.. I guess as long as I play the songs well I think the audience will be pleased.

If you really want a harp+guitar master, look no further than Bob Dylan. A lot of players now distill their harp-playing, one way or another, from Dylan, such as Springsteen (e.g. the whole Nebraska album), and Tweedy too.

Of course, if you want where Dylan got his chops from, you're probably going to have to look very, very far back into blues harp players.

I have a set of 7 harps, when I do Tweedy stuff I try to avoid being exact, but to just get the whole picture, I guess.

If you really want a harp+guitar master, look no further than Bob Dylan. A lot of players now distill their harp-playing, one way or another, from Dylan, such as Springsteen (e.g. the whole Nebraska album), and Tweedy too.

oh dont forget neil young...he's the reason i first started playing harp