Ron Sexsmith - Exit Strategy Of The Soul

"Other Songs" still ranks as one of my all-time favorite Canadian albums, but I have not been too pumped about his last couple of albums. I also played "Cobblestone Runway" to death when it first came out. Looking forward to checking this out.

And, I have to say I really enjoy him in concert. I have seen him twice and he just seems like such a genuine, bashful guy.

He really is I met him after two shows and he was completely down to earth, even while talking about jamming with Paul McCartney! I thought his last one (Time Being) was his best one, but really he's just scarily consistent on all albums.

Also for Feist fans this album has Sexsmith's version of Brandy Alexander (he originally wrote the song as with Secret Heart which Feist also covered) completely different take with horns and the such.

He really is I met him after two shows and he was completely down to earth, even while talking about jamming with Paul McCartney! I thought his last one (Time Being) was his best one, but really he's just scarily consistent on all albums.

Also for Feist fans this album has Sexsmith's version of Brandy Alexander (he originally wrote the song as with Secret Heart which Feist also covered) completely different take with horns and the such.

Thank you so much for starting this thread. I frickin' love Ron and am also frightened by how consistently good his albums are. Seen him twice in concert with a grand total between the two shows of about forty-fifty people in attendance. He is wonderful.

I loved "Brandy Alexander" when I first heard it then I looked at the liner notes and said "oh, of course."

"I'm a bit rundown, but I'm okay."

From the Yep Roc website:

Horns Punctuate Ron Sexsmith's Exit Strategy of the Soul, out July 8th

April 16, 2008, 12:00 am

Ron Sexsmith, "one of the finest songwriters we have," (Paste) has completed Exit Strategy of the Soul, which is set for a July 8 release via Yep Roc Records. The album stands tall as one of the greatest he has made to date.

Produced by Martin Terefe, who also produced 2005's Retriever and 2002's Cobblestone Runway, Exit Strategy of the Soul was recorded in varied locations including studios in London, England and Havana, Cuba. Its ambitious arrangements, backed by a punctuating and swelling horn section on nearly every song, complete an album that is one of Sexsmith's most wide-ranging in breadth of sound and feel.

With Sexsmith's disarmingly warm, inviting voice and his brilliant lyrical melancholy, the album's 14 tracks contain observations on spirituality, love and the ever present hope that the beauty of life can overcome the world's

harshness. Also included here is Sexsmith's joyful recording of "Brandy Alexander," a song co-written with fellow Canadian, Feist, whose own version appears on her 2007 hit album The Reminder.

Sexsmith will join Nick Lowe on a US tour during the latter half of April and headline Toronto's landmark theater, Massey Hall, on May 3. See below for more dates.

Track listing for Exit Strategy of the Soul

1. Spiritude

2. This is How I Know

3. One Last Round

4. Ghost of a Chance

5. Thoughts and Prayers

6. Brandy Alexander

7. Traveling Alone

8. Poor Helpless Dreams

9. Hard Time

10. The Impossible World

11. Chased By Love

12. Brighter Still

13. Music To My Ears

14. Dawn Anna

I have all his records--including the two Kelele Brothers discs--so yeah, I'm pretty excited about this new record. I've seen him live a few times, but it has been years so I'll probably go the next time he's back in Toronto.

I also used to have on cassette from a radio show, him doing a cover of ABBA's "Knowing Me, Knowing You" with Don Kerr from the Rheostatics. It was beautiful. I have long since lost the tape. :upset

I saw him open for Coldplay back in 2003, I think, and I kinda felt sorry for him because hardly anyone paid attention to him. You could barely hear him over all the talking. I did, however, buy one of his albums after that but never really gave it a good listen. Maybe I'll pick up something else of his.

I never miss any of his record, I'm a fan since Whereabouts in 1999. Actually, four records made my joy in 1999: Whereabouts, Summerteeth, Car Wheels On a Gravel Road and Homeless House (John Cunningham, UK).

I saw him in concert in Paris. It's a treat, he's gifted and more up-lifting than on his records. Some people find him too mellow, and I can understand that. But his melodies are always the winners to me. Give me good melodies and I'm happy!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...