Neil Young's Big Green Electric Hybrid Machine

[source article]

Neil Young is making tech headlines again, following his appearance last month at the JavaOne conference. This time the legendary Canadian rocker is getting attention for his collaboration with Johnathan Goodwin of H-Line Conversions to transform a 1959 Lincoln Continental into a hybrid electric vehicle.

Young had initially intended to have his vintage Lincoln converted to biodiesel, but the Farm Aid co-founder quickly gained interest in hybrid electric technology after talking with Goodwin about other such projects.

"With all this talk about gas, people are saying we should go to small cars, but I love big American cars with power. So does everybody else. Why give up on that? I asked Johnathan that first day if we could take a huge American car like this, 2

this sounds vaguely familiar. i think there was an article out sometime ago about this and it mentioned that it was costing Mr. Young $40,000 for the conversion. I could be wrong and made that up in my crazy little head.

Yeah, try $120,000.

gulp. i wonder how environmentally sound all of the parts going into the machine actually are. folks sometimes forget that even though a final product eliminates the need to depend on oil, all of the resources used to make said environmental solution surpasses the oil consumption of the original. if that makes any sense.

and now i know that my $175 concert ticket money has helped fund Neil's green electric machine. and i thought he was simply over charging fans for no good reason. (does that sound bitter?)