Total Allied casualties on D-Day are estimated at 10,000, including 2500 dead. British casualties on D-Day have been estimated at approximately 2700. The Canadians lost 946 casualties. The US forces lost 6603 men.

AAHD069_8x10~The-Morning-of-June-6-1944-D-Day-at-Omaha-Beach-Posters.jpg

dday25.jpg

american_cemetery_near_verdun.jpg

that middle image is just nutty. kind of hard to imagine how anyone survived.

I say if you know a veteran of WWII, tell them 'thank you'.

They are leaving us in great numbers. Even the youngest, greenest draftees who hit the beach that day are at least 81 years old.

An army of draftees, descendants of immigrants, who lived through the deprivations of the depression beat the Army of the "Master Race".

Amen, I started watching band of brothers again last night (for the literally 100th time) watched episode 2 "Day of Days" Today. I always think this day should be a holiday, or a day of remembrance. it seriously saddens me that this day will soon be forgotten. Its probably one of the most important days in the history of the world. I used to thank my grandpas every memorial day, and also on this day. Still do, just not in person....

The greatest generation, indeed.

I always feel bad when I think of my great grand father, who when he was my age he fought in WW1 and lost his sight at Vimy Ridge. Or his son, my grand father, who fought in WW2 in the Battle of Britain. Then there's me, the guy who can't get out of bed till 11. :(

How old is he in the picture? Looks about 16 or 17. It makes me remember how young those are who we ask to sacrifice so much.

18, I think. He was a pilot and flew missions over Italy. He passed 3 yrs ago after a lengthy battle with Alzheimer's.