I'm heading to one of my best friend's weddings this weekend and I have struggled with what to get him. I can probably come up with 20 ideas that would be unique, and appreciated, by him. More difficult coming up with ideas for the both of them. Although I appreciate that they "need" the stuff on their registry, I really don't want to use the registry this time around.

My current idea is a subscription to a theatre for 2008/2009 season. Any ideas?

Yeah, couples' gifts can be really hard.

Also, my newly-engaged cousin was just bitching to us yesterday about the whole concept of the registry. He doesn't think they "need" anything that they might be putting on there, but we told him it's useful for the less-imaginative gift-givers among us.

So: I have nothing substantive to add, but I think the tickets would be a killer gift. :thumbup

Yeah, couples' gifts can be really hard.

Also, my newly-engaged cousin was just bitching to us yesterday about the whole concept of the registry. He doesn't think they "need" anything that they might be putting on there, but we told him it's useful for the less-imaginative gift-givers among us.

So: I have nothing substantive to add, but I think the tickets would be a killer gift. :thumbup

There are definitely practical things on most people's gift registry so you are just shopping on their behalf as opposed to giving cash. I'm ok with it for the most part but for people that are really special to you, I'd prefer to go more unique. I just have a hard time buying eight sets of forks for one of my closest friends. Plus, these guys have been living together for over a year. I'm fairly certain that they have plates.

As far as the tickets, it just seemed to be a decent idea. I'm definitely looking for validation of that so appreciate the feedback. I know that I would like to receive something like that but I may be a bit out of touch with what others are looking for. A guaranteed night out with some culture seems like a good idea to me.

Plus, these guys have been living together for over a year. I'm fairly certain that they have plates.

Those were exactly his problems with it. They have pretty much everything they need, he doesn't want to register for fine china that they'll never use, etc.

Along the lines of the theater subscription, I got some friends of mine a gift certificate for a day at a spa about an hour's drive from here. So they could drive up, do the mud bath/massage thing, have a nice dinner, and drive home, or make an overnight trip out of it. Another gift that's not a tangible thing, but a nice experience for them. :yes

Do they have a "cause" that they are passionate about? You could donate to a charity that they like, or she likes, (sorry, it's all about the bride :)) I can give you a couple great programs if you need any Chicago charities...

Also, we received a flag that was flown over the U.S. capitol on our wedding day, (with a letter from the late Senator Wellstone included.) It really was our most unique wedding gift. I believe each senator is allowed so many flags to give out, and if you write a letter to them, chances are good they will send you one with a letter addressed to the bride and groom.

You could also give them a gift certificate to a B&B in a neat town within driving distance to their home so they can have a little get-away weekend.

Good Luck

In my opinion, wedding gifts are meant to be lasting momentos of the day, maybe to be handed down to children or other important people in the couple's lives, so I'm not a fan of the theatre subs or the weekend trips or anything that gets "used up." Some ideas:

a beautiful mirror or piece of art

a gift certificate at a nice frame shop so they can get something (like a wedding photo or a wilco poster) framed professionally

a really really nice vase or crystal bowl

a small piece of sculpture that reflects the couple

something of yours that you want them to have, like perhaps a photograph you took

something antiquey

This guy is your best friend. Get something that reflects your friendship with him and as long as it isn't something really tacky and thoughtless (which I doubt you'd do anyway, right?) then the bride will love it too.

Thanks for the ideas... i'm definitely getting closer.

a gift certificate at a nice frame shop so they can get something (like a wedding photo or a wilco poster) framed professionally

Yes...he and I actually went to a benefit show together a year or so ago. I have the concert print signed by all of the artists. I may frame that for him. It isn't tacky in the least and definitely has some sentimental value. I may do that in addition to getting something that the new wife can enjoy.

My best friend gave us a beautiful world atlas for our wedding 15 years ago. It is still on my shelf or table and is something I use often with fondness. It has been used for planning trips and for curiosity's sake. I now use it when our children want to learn something. Great and lasting gift. Beats the 5 peppergrinders we got from various people who hardly knew us.

The best gifts we received were original works of art, either made by the person who gave it to us or by another artist they knew. However, artwork is so subjective....what you love may not be what they love. We were lucky that our friends have similar tastes to ours.

I think the theater tickets are a great idea, as long as you don't think they'll be too busy to use them, in which case they'd probably feel guilty if they don't get to too many shows.