I took a couple kiddos to see Kung Fu Panda.

Once again, Dreamworks has put out a movie that's got funny moments and some good action sequences, but an unforgettable and unoriginal story line.

What gives with the higher ups at Dreamworks? They seem ONLY interested in cashing in on the very young crowd and not making great movies that people will want to see 10 or 20 years down the road. All their movies are fairly entertaining for the 10 and under crowd. But everytime I, a thirty-something, sit through one, I find myself not giving a crap about anything or any character. Even Shrek, their best movie, suffers from potty jokes, a focus on making fun of Disney films, and "hip" topical jokes or references that are more annoying than funny.

Kung Fu Panda looks amazing....could pass for a Pixar film. And the action scenes are great. Jack Black has some funny lines and some of the slapstick comedy is good. But as usual, I left the theatre feeling nothing at all.

I guess we'll leave it to the pros on June 27th when Wall-e hits theatres.

Oh yeah, I forgot.....I saw a trailer before Kung Fu Panda......Madasgascar 2. Like we all just couldn't get enough of that classic Dreamwork's film, Madagascar 1. :lol

Well, it was better than Disney's "The Wild", anyway. :hmm

I haven't seen The Wild, but it's basic story couldn't be any more basic than Kung Fu Panda.

One of these days, Katzenberg will realize that kids are smart and like movies with depth like Toy Story or Pinnochio or Iron Giant or Monster's Inc.

Dreamworks is the top 40 movies....flavor of the day.

Madasgascar 2. Like we all just couldn't get enough of that classic Dreamwork's film, Madagascar 1. :lol

speaking as a parent whose watched Madagascar so many times it's near zapruder status for me...that movie ain't that bad...in fact, i actually ended liking it alot. granted, it's not pixar caliber material by any means, but it was a good story w/ good chachter development and plenty of pop culture reference over the kids heads to keep me interested.

and zohan looks as bad as little nicky.

It looks a hell of a lot better than Zohan, the other new movie this week.

KFP beat out Zohan at the box office for opening weekend.

Ice Age was better than anything Disney's done sans Pixar since at least Mulan, maybe even since Hercules.

I think I agree, though I kind of like Chicken Little quite a bit....GREAT art/animation look and character design and a cute/fun/funny story for adults and kids both. But Ice Age was funny and had a nice little story....and the little muskrat or whatever he was hilarious.

I can think of 6 studios that have made at least one better animated movie than anything I've seen from Dreamworks:

- Disney (Peter Pan, Pinocchio, Dumbo....etc...)

- Pixar (Toy Story, Monster's Inc...etc...)

- Miyazaki (Spirted Away, Howl's Moving Castle...etc...)

- Fox (Ice Age)

- Warner Bros. (Iron Giant)

- Sony (Surf's Up)

- Sony (Surf's Up)

that flick was horrendous. beautifully animated, but annoying as hell to watch. both I and my kids hated it.

i can't disagree w/ the digs on dreamworks as a whole, but, again, madagascar was hardly laden w/ irony, sarcasm and cynicism...there were a few contemporary pop culture references, but most were from more of a 70's/80's standpoint (Planet of the Apes, Chariots of Fire)...the actors involved did a great job.

like everybody has stated though...there is the pixar stuff and then, quite frankly, everything else.

[surf's Up] was horrendous. beautifully animated, but annoying as hell to watch.

Agreed. One of the most formulaic (and dull) kids' movies in recent memory.

Kung Fu Panda was no great shakes, but it does have visual imagination and the story is at least mildly engaging. It also doesn't rely on the same degree of hipster irony that most other DreamWorks crap does.

Agreed. One of the most formulaic (and dull) kids' movies in recent memory.

Kung Fu Panda was no great shakes, but it does have visual imagination and the story is at least mildly engaging. It also doesn't rely on the same degree of hipster irony that most other DreamWorks crap does.

Surf's Up wasn't super great, but I appreciated the almost documentary approach of presenting the movie. I liked it more than some apparently...I found it creative and touching.

I'll give Kung Fu credit for eliminating many pop-culture references and dopey radio songs.....but isn't it a problem when the supposed 2nd best animation company in the world makes one of their best movies, and the best anyone can say is that it has "visual imagination" and a story that's "mildly engaging".

How pathetic.

I'll give Kung Fu credit for eliminating many pop-culture references and dopey radio songs.....but isn't it a problem when the supposed 2nd best animation company in the world makes one of their best movies, and the best anyone can say is that it has "visual imagination" and a story that's "mildly engaging".

No disagreement, but I guess there are worst things for a movie to be than a B-/C+ diversion. Sure, I'd like DreamWorks to aim for the heights of Pixar, but it could be worse. It could be worse.

Has Dreamworks REALLY been that great compared to non-Pixar Disney animations?

Disney cartoons the past 9 years that are not Pixar:

Tarzan (GREAT movie for the first 2/3. Then it lost me.)

Fantasia/2000 (not really a movie....great art)

The Emperor's New Groove (Fun to watch with kids....not terrible, but definitely not great.)

Atlantis:The Lost Empire (Um...not good.)

Lilo and Stitch (Nice effort. I liked this movie. Funny in parts. Touching in parts. Great soft, water-colory-y look.)

Treasure Planet (Great boys movie. Pretty good overall movie.)

Brother Bear (Not seen it.)

Home on the Range (Cute. Nothing more.)

Chicken Little (I liked this movie.)

Meet the Robinsons (Pretty solid. The middle chunk ruined an otherwise very good effort)

Dreamworks the past 9 years:

Chicken Run (an Aardman Animations film put out by Dreamworks. Very good and entertaining movie nonetheless.)

The Road to El Dorado (Not seen it)

Shrek (Most over-rated animated film of all time? Not a bad film, but too caught up in poking fun at Disney and gross jokes)

Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron (Not seen it.....thank goodness!)

Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas (Ditto)

Shark Tale (Uggh!)

Shrek 2 (The Puss n Boots character was great. The rest OK.)

Madasgascar (Fun to watch with the kids. Funny characters. Not a bad effort by Dreamworks)

Wallace & Grommit: Curse or Were-Rabbit (Aardman Animations, collaborated with Dreamworks)

Flushed Away (another Aardman Animations collaboration....pretty crappy movie.)

Over the Hedge (yawn)

Bee Movie (Seinfeld should be embarrassed....very mediocre, borderline bad movie)

Shrek the Third (Adds nothing to the Shrek tale.)

Kung Fu Panda (GREAT animation. Some great action and slapstick. No intriguing story.)

Emperor's New Groove is probably the only movie out of those Disney ones that I like. Most of the Disney movies are on Par with the Dreamworks ones, but man, those are some bad movies Dreamworks has put out...