Just kidding, but how cool would that be. Geez, they Iraqis have recently concluded they do not want us there. But we're gonna stay in their business to establish military bases and monitor oil goings on. It is fairly evident, so why do both presidential candidates act like we have to stay. Just leave. I'd expect McCain to stay and assume Barry is riding the fence for election purposes. I seemed to recall he (and other Dems) wanted to pull out immediately. The tune has changed. How did we get talked into staying long enough for some magic event to signal our departure?

Pure politics. Although leaving Iraq is increasingly popular, whomever is the president who pulls that trigger will bear a withering amount of criticism over whatever messes are bound to ensue in the aftermath. Its a situation that both parties are clearly salivating over tarring the other with. For the GOP, its their best shot at playing the blame-switcheroo game. Losing this election might be the best thing that could possibly happen to that party right now because staying in Iraq until the Dems take over is like handing them a live hand grenade. I fully expect the Dems to be operating in proceed-with-caution mode, despite all the rhetoric to the contrary over the past however many years.

we'll leave iraq someday.

i hope.

just like when the economy sucks, the next prez blames it on the previous administration. and when it's going good, the current prez takes the credit. whatever happens in iraq will likely end up with the same blame game. that's politics.

bush will always get the majority of the blame ultimately (and rightly so). since he started all this to begin with, he will forever be accountable.

Guest Cousin Tupelo
we'll leave iraq someday.

i hope.

just like when the economy sucks, the next prez blames it on the previous administration. and when it's going good, the current prez takes the credit. whatever happens in iraq will likely end up with the same blame game. that's politics.

bush will always get the majority of the blame ultimately (and rightly so). since he started all this to begin with, he will forever be accountable.

I have this image of Iranian hostages in an airplane, waiting on a tarmac, for the next president to be sworn in before they're released -- by U.S. officials.

first off, it isnt david cross we should just always refer to him as tobias. Anyways dennis miller said something like, a war on terror would be easier if there was a place called "al-quada-ville" and then we could just have all the war go down there. If we had a more convential enemy things would be easier (as easy as war can be i dont mean to offend). I dont think its unwinnable war, but winning a war against an idealology is insanely difficult

I think the plan was that it's impossible to win. This Bushism started the modern war on terror

"Our war on terror begins with al Qaeda, but it does not end there. It will not end until every terrorist group of global reach has been found, stopped and defeated."

This thing covers every continent (Antarctica's still safe, for now. Oops I forgot about Happy Feet) So, every continent. And the same people who are fighting it are causing it to grow (forget about Osama, lets scare bitter Iraqis into clinging to their guns).

This isn't a war. It's a propaganda campaign to spread just enough fear to keep everybody on their toes and to fund military contractors. Conservative think tanks starting working on this way before 9/11 ever happened. When the Cold War ended, people of power who were groomed to be powerful in a time of fear wanted a reason to be afraid.

This isn't a war. It's a propaganda campaign to spread just enough fear to keep everybody on their toes and to fund military contractors. Conservative think tanks starting working on this way before 9/11 ever happened. When the Cold War ended, people of power who were groomed to be powerful in a time of fear wanted a reason to be afraid.

Bingo. You said it perfectly. :thumbup

I think the plan was that it's impossible to win. This Bushism started the modern war on terror

how is "winning a war against an idealology is insanely difficult" a bushism, if anything id say it makes bush look like a fool for iraq