Well let's just say that to me, his attitudes towards environmentalism sometimes rubbed me the wrong way. I can't remember the quote, but he was known to say things like litter the highway, it's already polluted by the existence of the highway and the aforementioned billboard quote.

Monkey Wrench wasn't a how to book. It was presenting the rape of the west with a wonderfully spun tale of a group of passionate and frustrated idealist. he hated the "eco terrorist" tag because it was so ridiculous and simplistic.

I will add the following though when asked if he was really advocating blowing up a dam he replied "No," but added that "if someone else wanted to do it, I'd be there holding a flashlight." Introduction by Douglas Brinkley in the 2000 edition of the book.

I will add the following though when asked if he was really advocating blowing up a dam he replied "No," but added that "if someone else wanted to do it, I'd be there holding a flashlight." Introduction by Douglas Brinkley in the 2000 edition of the book.

That's kinda a "leaning" in my book.

My friend Claudia quoted a song last night; "a man with a briefcase can steal far more money than a man with a gun."

so true.

"The developers and entrepreneurs must somehow be taught a new vocabulary of values." Ed

I don't think you get Ed or the Southwest. and back to my original point, it still comes down to your definition of "eco-terrorism."

Mmmkay. I "get" Ed enough to know that that sentiment is one with which I disagree. I have lived in the SW for 20 years and had spent plenty of time here prior to moving. I was an environmental studies major at U of Colorado with an emphasis on Western resource management. I am against dams, for example, but don't advocate -- or turn a blind eye -- to those that would illegally demolish them. So if "getting" Ed or the SW requires me to hold that flashlight, I stand by my original sentiment that I disagree with Ed's leanings.

And MY definition of eco-terrorism is the same as the FBI's: "the use or threatened use of violence of a criminal nature against innocent victims or property by an environmentally-oriented, subnational group for environmental-political reasons, or aimed at an audience beyond the target, often of a symbolic nature." I'd say that Ed is at least guilty -- by your own provided quote -- of turning (or being willing to) a blind eye to that sort of thing.