Does anyone read any Edward Abbey?

a while ago i picked up The Monkey Wrench Gang and finished it in 2 sittings. since then he's essentially all i've read.

anyways, discuss

my brother read "desert solitaire" and loved it so much that he moved from boston out to utah and changed his whole life.

"Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion."

"A knowledge of the true age of the earth and of the fossil record makes it impossible for any balanced intellect to believe in the literal truth of every part of the Bible in the way that fundamentalists do. And if some of the Bible is manifestly wrong, why should any of the rest of it be accepted automatically?"

Both quotes attributed to Edward - yeah, he is a hero of mine.

Time to move on to Hayduke Lives.

Check out The Brave Cowboy and then Fire On The Mountain.

There is a great movie from the 50's called Lonely Are The Brave. It is the story

of The Brave Cowboy (Jack Burns), starring Kirk Douglas, he has said it was his favorite roll/character in a movie.

Also worth searching for are tapes/CD of Abbey reading Abbey. Dry but good stuff.

• 1 month later...

i just finished Desert Solitare after a few Edward Abbey sightings in books and bookstores and reading this post.

i loved this book. I can see that it can be life-changing. i would love to retrace his steps in the Arches National Park, yes it has probably changed some but his writing moved me and made me feel invigorated. i agreed with a lot of things he said about preservation of wildlife and culture/civilization.

His style to me is like a naturalist Bukowski, rough and tough, honest, and heartfelt. The book was a quick read and hard to put down. I loved the story about the Moon-Eyed Horse and the Husk Family, blazing stuff.

looking forward to reading more but not sure where to venture. I'd prefer the personal stories rather than fictional tales.

thanks for introducing me to a great writer.

My first real trip in the Rockies was in this area for two weeks in 1987 and I read this book while there. My first peak in the Rockies was Tukuhnikivats which has a whole chapter dedicated to it. Needless to say, this book means a lot to me. Some of Abbey's eco-terrorism leanings rub me the wrong way, but I do love this book.

My first real trip in the Rockies was in this area for two weeks in 1987 and I read this book while there. My first peak in the Rockies was Tukuhnikivats which has a whole chapter dedicated to it. Needless to say, this book means a lot to me. Some of Abbey's eco-terrorism leanings rub me the wrong way, but I do love this book.

You are thinking of Earth First - I take it:

Earth First! is a radical environmental advocacy group that emerged in the Southwestern United States in 1979.

Inspired by Rachel Carson's Silent Spring, Aldo Leopold's land ethic, and Edward Abbey's The Monkey Wrench Gang, a group of activists pledged "No Compromise in Defense of Mother Earth!" Environmental activist Dave Foreman, ex-Yippie (Youth International Party) Mike Roselle, Wyoming Wilderness Society representatives Bart Koehler and Howie Wolke and former Park Ranger Ron Kezar were traveling in Foreman's VW bus from the Pincate Desert in northern Mexico to Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Provoked by what they considered a sell-out by mainstream environmental advocates during the "RARE II" (the Forest Service's Roadless Area and Review Evaluation) meetings, the activists envisioned a revolutionary movement to set aside multi-million acre ecological preserves all across the United States. "Suddenly Foreman called out 'Earth First!' The next thing you know," Wolke says, "Roselle drew a clenched fist logo, passed it up to the front of the van, and there was Earth First!"

yes it is in response to you. your take on his "eco-terrorism leanings."

Perhaps you're not that familiar with the Monkey Wrench Gang and his quotes such as "Keep America beautiful: grow a beard, take a bath, burn a billboard."