Stone Temple Pilots

Yea, I know that this probably isn't the place for STP discussion, but I was very excited for this massive reuion gig as they are my favorite band growing up, and still are one of my favorites today. Their stage show iss really high up there.

When this tour was announced, I was furious. They ripped off fans, started a BS "fan club" that you had to pay 50 bucks to join, just to get presale access for their overpriced shows, and a slew of other complaints I won't bore you with. I went in impossible to please and came out really surprised. Those guys could have phoned it in and they didn't. They came out, gave it 110% for nearly two hours, and just fucking nailed it. Got to hear all the hits, and even some deep cuts I wasn't expecting that they've never/rarely played like, Coma, Too Cool Queenie, Lounge Fly, Sin, Silvergun Superman.

After the show my friend and I bolted for the tour bus. Of course Weiland blew us off because he's a cocksucker (has his own bus btw) and bolted. So did the drummer and bass player. I would understand if there were like 200 people lined up for autographs, but there were 10 of us at this gate. It would have taken 2 minutes of their precious rock star time and they could have signed for literally everyone. The guitar player did come out and sign my Shangri La Dee Da liner notes and took pictures with everyone who was waiting, which I thought was very cool (not that I don't feel we deserved it with the amount of money they're making off this thing. 70 bucks a pop per ticket...and fucking T-SHIRTS were going for 45 dollars (!))

Anyway, some of my pics came out okay:

l_74b3dea6ae3b0f77ae498b7c44f015d1.jpg

l_74ee0185a2698d164a7b4476a280ea61.jpg

l_365970f473105a476c6d42d49c7dfb7f.jpg

l_27bb84e086048794a42208afeadc9414.jpg

l_406036c7079d909661bd90b993fac306.jpg

I think I read somewhere recently that they are having some sort of legal troubles with the Atlantic Records or something like that. I actually own Purple - I break it out every once in a while and give it a spin.

They are. Atlantic was prepared to strike a deal that would get them out of their record contract (7 albums, they've delivered 6) until this tour started, because they didn't see it taking off. But now that they're playing sold out shows (in front of as much as 30,000)...they want that 7th record. The lawsuit has only been filed against Weiland/Kretz (drummer) because Atlantic relieved the DeLeo brothers (guitar/bass) of their responsibility to pursue other endeavors, which included Army of Anyone with Richard Patrick.

They are. Atlantic was prepared to strike a deal that would get them out of their record contract (7 albums, they've delivered 6) until this tour started, because they didn't see it taking off. But now that they're playing sold out shows (in front of as much as 30,000)...they want that 7th record. The lawsuit has only been filed against Weiland/Kretz (drummer) because Atlantic relieved the DeLeo brothers (guitar/bass) of their responsibility to pursue other endeavors, which included Army of Anyone with Richard Patrick.

One of those guys became an A&R guy - I forget which one.

In the music industry, Artists and Repertoire (A&R) is the division of a record label company that is responsible for scouting and artist development. It is the link between the recording artist/act and the record label, generally to help with the artistic and commercial development of the label's artists. An A&R person is often required to handle contractual negotiations, find songwriters and record producers for the act, and schedule recording sessions. In the UK, before the rise of the record producer, the A&R Manager would oversee recording sessions and assume responsibility for making creative decisions relating to the recording.