Jackson says something about Obama

Sorry I'm confused - what would be the intent of the players if this was theater?

The idea being that folks on the fence or independents might not want to vote for Obama because they fear that he's in the pocket of Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton? So, let's hatch a scheme to show the world that Obama is his own man.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea being that folks on the fence or independents might not want to vote for Obama because they fear that he's in the pocket of Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton? So, let's hatch a scheme to show the world that Obama is his own man.

if it wasn't for jesse's ego, i might consider it. seems a stretch for (like matt said) the few voters it could actually entice.

I agree -- this won't be enough for those that distrust Obama because he is black and therefore like those other irksome folks like JJ and AS to suddenly come over to his side.

(he is the Rev after all)

LouieB

so, exactly what congregation does jesse jackson preside over every sunday? the initials before his name are as meaningful as a dr. phil's and certainly don't carry the same respect. he's certainly a joke around these parts. i say this with no disrespect whatsoever to the "actual" civil rights movement.

he's a rev as much as my sister-in-law is. she was ordained via the internet. only she's a lot more loveable and not a camera hog/attention whore like the rev. jackson. jesse is all about jesse.

Oh, is race-tolerance a function of time?

no.

but i think that the whole "not voting for barack because he's black" thing is a figment of some peoples imaginations. sure, there are gonna be racist idiots out there, but not a significant number to even bother mentioning. i just don't understand why race is even brought into the conversation. is that supposed to be an insult to those not under the spell of obama?

jesse jackson is a joke because he's all about himself. he hasn't been relevant for decades, so why would anyone care about his opinion. if i remember correctly, he wasn't sold on barack from the beginning. he can say he's a friend of his all he wants, but it is plain as day that he does not like giving up the spotlight to someone else.

so, exactly what congregation does jesse jackson preside over every sunday? the initials before his name are as meaningful as a dr. phil's and certainly don't carry the same respect. he's certainly a joke around these parts. i say this with no disrespect whatsoever to the "actual" civil rights movement.

he's a rev as much as my sister-in-law is. she was ordained via the internet. only she's a lot more loveable and not a camera hog/attention whore like the rev. jackson. jesse is all about jesse.

Did your sister-in-law attend seminary? Did she leave seminary to work in the civil rights movement?

Did your sister-in-law attend seminary? Did she leave seminary to work in the civil rights movement?

sorry, but i have no further interest in discussing rev. jackson's ego. i respect his work in the civil rights movement. it's kind of like my respect for mccain and his service in vietnam. it's what came after that i have a hard time applauding.

but i think that the whole "not voting for barack because he's black" thing is a figment of some peoples imaginations.

No no no. Remember, Barack said the republicans would be talking about his skin color.

"We know what kind of campaign they're going to run....did we mention he's black!?"

I think one side talks about race more than the other.

No no no. Remember, Barack said the republicans would be talking about his skin color.

"We know what kind of campaign they're going to run....did we mention he's black!?"

I think one side talks about race more than the other.

it's those kind of statements that piss me off. but...what can ya do?

oh yeah...nothing.

Link?

it's on you tube.

I wasn't discussing his ego. You essentially said that he wasn't a reverend. He has a Masters of Divinity from Chicago Theological Seminary.

I'm not too fond of the guy, I'm just not sure why you are comparing his credentials to an online whatever.

i was merely referencing the percieved lack of actual religious application regarding his "rev" credentials.

he uses the "reverend" before his name as a prop. i don't see him as a person concerned with anything or anyone else but himself. at least that's been my impression of him for the last 20-30 years.

I mean, regardless, it's true. I just don't recall him ever saying it.

the huffington post, olbermann and msnbc tend to gloss over those kind of statements.

they never mention racial comments unless they happen to come from a republican.

I have seen Jesse speak in public twice and while he may or may not be a great reverend - though one should not forget him getting some POWs freed from Bosnia and somewhere else, I think - the man is one hell of a preacher. Puts Sharpton to shame.

And now, I will bring Chris Rock into it, from his Bigger and Blacker special:

What do we need, y'all? l think we need a new leader. We ain't had a black leader in a while. ln a long time.

Somebody that moves you. You know, we had Martin Luther King, Malcolm X ... and ever since then,

a bunch of substitute teachers.

We ain't had the real thing. l want a motherfucker to move me. Who we got? Let me break everybody down.

We got Al Sharpton, all right. Al Sharpton's all right. He ain't Malcolm or Martin ... but if you get your ass whupped

by the cops, he's the guy to call. Of course, Al kind of looks like Bookman from Good Times, but don't let that fuck you up.

Who else we got? Jesse Jackson. Jesse's all right. Jesse went over there, Jesse got them hostages. l don't know how the hell he did that shit. He went over there with no money, no sweet potato pie. What the fuck did Jesse say?

Jesse must've been, like: ''Do you want the United States to really be mad at you? Give the hostages to me.''

That's what he said, you know. What else we got? Farrakhan? Farrakhan got everybody together for the Million Man March and everything. But Farrakhan don't like the Jews, which is bugged. l get my hair cut on Dekalb Avenue. l never been in a barbershop and heard a bunch of brothers talking about Jews. Black people don't hate Jews. Black people hate white people!

And now, I will bring Chris Rock into it, from his Bigger and Blacker special:

Black people hate white people!

yeah, so does rev. jeremiah wright.

but apparently that isn't the "same" reverend wright that barack knew.

the huffington post, olbermann and msnbc tend to gloss over those kind of statements.

they never mention racial comments unless they happen to come from a republican.

I never read HuffPo. And I read a wide variety of media. Liberal, conservative and otherwise. But you know everything about me.

Still would love to see a link to either a video or at least some sort of mention of Obama making that comment though.