MLB 2008 Part 3, Take 2

I think that's a question for a stat-head. I'm not good at that stuff.

from a non-stat point of view, i don't think papi smiles as often as he did before manny left. they were great buddies and manny was very funny. i've been a little worried about papi's morale.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone said you can't do both.

I just prefer not to get bogged down with stats. I'll glance at a player's basic stats when they flash them onscreen (BA, HR, RBI), but I really don't care what his batting average is with two outs and a runner on third, or what his OPS is against left-handers after the sixth inning in games in which his team trails. If you're into that stuff, fine ... but like religion, sometimes it's best to keep it to yourself.

My appreciation of the statistical side of the game happens mostly during the evaluation of the game when the game isn't happening. Once the game goes on, that's my main focus.

And I agree that sometimes too many stats can be overwhelming. But I just wish that in those instances where they only give you a few stats, they'd give you better ones that tell you more. Batting average, wins, saves etc. are what are getting in the way of understanding the game, not OPS, ERA+ and K/BB.

My appreciation of the statistical side of the game happens mostly during the evaluation of the game when the game isn't happening.

...which is why I don't participate in threads like this very often.

(Not aimed at you specifically, twobobs)

100% of statistics are only numbers.

I hate the implication that you can't enjoy the game on both levels. The divide between 'traditionalists' and 'stat heads' is ridiculous.

TOO MANY stats make my head hurt, but some are quite useful and entertaining.

Oh, and a good night for the Mets.

Just for fun, let's compare 6 relief pitchers this season:

Pitcher 1: 65 IP, 2.08 ERA, 73 K, 7 BB, 0.92 WHIP

Pitcher 2: 66 1/3 IP, 1.49 ERA, 73 K, 6 BB, 0.71 WHIP

Pitcher 3: 65 1/3 IP, 1.65 ERA, 64 K, 16 BB, 0.83 WHIP

Pitcher 4: 65 IP, 2.35 ERA, 74 K, 34 BB, 1.34 WHIP

Pitcher 5: 85 1/3 IP, 2.32 ERA, 88 K, 37 BB, 1.15 WHIP

Pitcher 6: 62 1/3 IP, 1.44 ERA, 68 K, 17 BB, 0.95 WHIP

One of these guys is being considered a strong candidate for the AL Cy Young Award this year, and is even being touted by some as an MVP candidate.

If you chose Pitcher #4, the one with the highest WHIP and relatively unimpressive K/BB ratio and ERA, then you are right. Fortunately, pitcher #4 (Francisco Rodriguez) has a lot of "saves" so he's apparently a much better pitcher than the other guys (1: Jonathan Papelbon, 2: Mariano Rivera, 3: Joakim Soria, 5: J.P. Howell , 6: Joe Nathan) who were all more dominant this year. Howell isn't even a closer but had arguably a better season, and there were a number of non-closers I could have used just as well (Matt Thornton, Scott Downs, Grant Balfour, Jesse Carlson, Rafael Perez, etc. etc).

Not going to blameit on the umps, but how does CB Bucknor still have a job. THat guyis absolutely awful.

Bucknor has a nice punch-out call behind the plate, but that's about it. A few years ago MLB players voted him the shittiest umpire in the majors in an S.I. piece.