Jeff Tweedy - August 1st, 2008

Jeff played a super nice acoustic show at the Kids Stage at Lolla. In years past acts I have seen on the kids stage attract a couple hundred people. There were a couple thousand there to see Jeff. He played in front of the stage to be closer to the real kids (as opposed to the rest of us grown ups who still act like kids) He asked for requests from the kids and had some fun with some of the songs they chose (On & On & On and Hell is Chrome were both suggested yet shot down due to adult like themes) Jeff also got quite a rise when he invited an old friend from Uncle Tupelo up for a reunion (it was Bill Belzer) and said "friends are good, I think we can all agree."

The setlist:

What Light

Hummingbird

Heavy Metal Drummer (Jeff's choice after a few kids suggestions denied)

New Madrid (w/ Belzer)

ITMWLY

Hoodoo Voodoo

It was great to see Jeff perform on the same day as Jack White and Radiohead. Some funny banter with kids (Don't let your parents take to any awful bands) as well as an ultimatum to buy Woody Guthrie albums (basically saying you are a bad parent if you do not own Woody Guthrie for your kids)

Great Times at Lolla 2008. I can not wait for tonight!

Some funny banter with kids (Don't let your parents take to any awful bands) as well as an ultimatum to buy Woody Guthrie albums (basically saying you are a bad parent if you do not own Woody Guthrie for your kids)

Good advice. Stock up on everything you can find on Smithsonian Folkways, too.

That is very cool that he and Bill Belzer did New Madrid. What a guy! That had to be a great vibe.