Wilco - Salt Lake City, Red Butte Gardens 8/18/08

Great setlist, really nice crowd, beautiful canyon breezes throughout the show. (Jeff re: Glenn's hair blowing in the breeze: "I feel like Glenn is having a photo shoot and I'm in the way.")

Mountain Bed

You Are My Face

Hummingbird

I Am Trying

Handshake Drugs

Shot In The Arm

Side With The Seeds

Via Chicago

Impossible Germany

Hell Is Chrome

Airline to Heaven

Jesus, Etc.

California Stars

Theologians

Poor Places

Spiders

-----------------

Hate It Here

Walken

I'm The Man Who

Monday

Outtasite/mind

-------------------

Passenger Side

Heavy Metal Drummer

Kingpin (with crowd doing "Salt Lake City" very well, actually)

Nice to see some friends there, too. (Hey Laurie...)

Yet another fantastic show at another kick-ass venue. I wish I had known it was BYOB! I was wondering why everyone was walking up with coolers and was curious how they were going to check all of them at the gate. When I walked through with my backpack unchecked I quickly figured it out. A couple of locals explained the venue was a piece of crap until a renovation close to a year ago. It sits high up on the foothills on the edge of the University of Utah campus overlooking the valley and lights of Salt Lake City.

It was a very hot and dry day in Salt Lake. However, the sun set right around the time they took the stage and a perfect breeze was blowing onto the stage and the temperature probably dropped at least twenty degrees. It was the quintessential Rocky Mountain summer evening with the natural air conditioning steadily cranking away. John mentioned it might have been one of his favorite venues they have ever played when you consider the setting, sound (on-stage and crowd) and the crowd.

It started off a little slow as the crowd were all sitting down on blankets and lawn chairs to start the show. They slowly began to get on their feet, move towards the front of the stage and the energy started creeping up some time around the middle of the show. Spiders got the crowd into a literal frenzy and the encore numbers were all reminiscent of the tightly packed, smaller venue days. It was great to see them having so much fun last night.

I am about 95% sure on the song list. Seems like there might have been something after I'm the Man but after reviewing their songs I can't find it so it might be right. I'll post some pictures later this evening.

Remember the Mountain Bed

You Are My Face

Hummingbird

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

Handshake Drugs

Shot in the Arm ->

Side With the Seeds

Via Chicago

Impossible Germany

Hell is Chrome

Airline to Heaven

Jesus, Etc.

California Stars

Theologians->

Poor Places ->

Spiders

E:

Hate It Here

Walken

I'm the Man Who Loves You

Monday->

Outtasite

E2:

Passenger Side

Heavy Metal Drummer

Kingpin

Red Butte is a great venue. As a Utard, I can confirm your information regarding recent renovations. It wasn't bad before (the setting was the same) but the sight lines were bad. I would say only 50% of the crowd could see the entire stage under the old setup.

Regarding the crowd being subdued at first - that's typical at red butte, since the shows usually start before sunset. Ryan Adams played there last year and he seemed pissed that people were sitting down. He played about 10 songs and left just as the sun went down. As Wilco showed, you just need to play mellow songs until the sun goes down, then crank it up.

It was a great show. My only complaint was that they did not play my request - Kicking Television.

Here is my review of the show:

There are two things that I thought I would never see at a Wilco concert: a VIP section and people leaving midway through their set. When the line outside Red Butte Garden in Salt Lake stretched around the venue with people holding lawn chairs and pulling coolers, I was skeptical on the logistics of the seating arrangements. Surely, they would have a standing area up front like so many other open concert settings. As I entered the gate, all I could notice was the vast sea of blankets and lawn chairs stretched across the lawn, right up to the front of the stage. I wandered around, taking in the venue, which is beautiful, but was also skeptical on the crowd that was attending.

The Red Butte Garden is located at the University of Utah and its members are individuals and/or families who donate large sums of cash to the garden and/or university. A reward is tickets to these corporate sponsored shows. During Fleet Foxes entire act, which was amazing, the crowd sat on their blankets and drank fine wine and showing no emotion at all. The crowd had the same enthusiasm as someone sitting at home watching Law and Order. The crowd was so spread out that no one could really connect with the music on an intimate level since most were spent talking about the stock market or their hedge funds to pay attention to probably one of the best indie bands in the country.

Following the 30 minute Fleet Foxes set and a quick set change, Wilco came on and immediately made partial amends. Opening with the Woody Guthrie tune,

Here is my review of the show:

There are two things that I thought I would never see at a Wilco concert: a VIP section and people leaving midway through their set. When the line outside Red Butte Garden in Salt Lake stretched around the venue with people holding lawn chairs and pulling coolers, I was skeptical on the logistics of the seating arrangements. Surely, they would have a standing area up front like so many other open concert settings. As I entered the gate, all I could notice was the vast sea of blankets and lawn chairs stretched across the lawn, right up to the front of the stage. I wandered around, taking in the venue, which is beautiful, but was also skeptical on the crowd that was attending.

The Red Butte Garden is located at the University of Utah and its members are individuals and/or families who donate large sums of cash to the garden and/or university. A reward is tickets to these corporate sponsored shows. During Fleet Foxes entire act, which was amazing, the crowd sat on their blankets and drank fine wine and showing no emotion at all. The crowd had the same enthusiasm as someone sitting at home watching Law and Order. The crowd was so spread out that no one could really connect with the music on an intimate level since most were spent talking about the stock market or their hedge funds to pay attention to probably one of the best indie bands in the country.

Following the 30 minute Fleet Foxes set and a quick set change, Wilco came on and immediately made partial amends. Opening with the Woody Guthrie tune,

Just joined the board tonight to see how this show played out.

I was really disappointed with the Red Butte crowd last night. I've seen Wilco several times, but only once before here in SLC--at Kingsbury Hall. This was the first show I've seen at Red Butte, and probably the last due to many of the reasons hazza listed above. The mini-chairs, with matching mini-cocktail tables designed for a night of sitting on your ass at a rock concert? C'mon. I was one of the 100 or so fans on my feet for the entire Wilco set. I took a lot of flack from folks behind me, but damn it if I was going to sit down for a Wilco show.

I was there to see the Fleet Foxes almost as much as for Wilco. I was embarrassed by the crowd's response (or lack there of) to their set. Pathetic. I saw them here at the Urban Lounge (a tiny divey club) a couple months ago and they were warmly received and put on a fantastic show.

The only fact hazza has wrong in his assessment is regarding the SLC elite receiving tickets to the show. Many of us there were regular stiffs with normal jobs who payed our $40 for tickets with no connections whatsover.

Wilco put on a great show and overall I had a very good time. Still pretty disappointed with the Red Butte crowd and hope the band chooses a different venue the next time through town.

I'm sure where you sat for this show was crucial to your impression and enjoyment of it. I will hand it to the Red Butte folks: they don't mess around when it comes to getting in line for a big show. I don't know what time the first people in line showed up, but it had to be early in the morning since by 11:30 a.m. there were already about 40 people there.

There are two things that I thought I would never see at a Wilco concert: a VIP section... As I entered the gate, all I could notice was the vast sea of blankets and lawn chairs stretched across the lawn, right up to the front of the stage. I wandered around, taking in the venue, which is beautiful, but was also skeptical on the crowd that was attending.

There were certainly people there who simply attend every show because they're garden members, and there were plenty of people who spread out blankets "just in case" some friends needed spots--thus taking up a disproportionate amount of space. We sat in the midst of several garden members near the front, and none of them had heard of Wilco before but were intrigued because it appeared to be the biggest concert of the year for the Gardens. When everyone else started standing (which happened sooner near the front than the back), so did these guys. I don't think it's fair to suggest all garden members who were there were just talking stocks throughout the show. The folks around us were dancing and enjoying themselves.

The Red Butte Garden is located at the University of Utah and its members are individuals and/or families who donate large sums of cash to the garden and/or university. A reward is tickets to these corporate sponsored shows.

As the previous poster stated, it's only $30 or something for an individual membership, so being a member is not synonymous with being an elitist. I'm sure plenty of "real fans" are also garden members. Hey, I think I may even be a garden member. :ninja

Per some locals, the concert-back VIP chairs on the lower third of the hill are for the $5000/year sponsors, and the umbrella tables in the far back are for the $2500/year sponsors. There was still a lot of lawn up for grabs (perhaps 30 VIP chairs on the hill?), you just had to be in line early to get close to the stage.

During Fleet Foxes entire act, which was amazing, the crowd sat on their blankets and drank fine wine and showing no emotion at all. The crowd had the same enthusiasm as someone sitting at home watching Law and Order. The crowd was so spread out that no one could really connect with the music on an intimate level since most were spent talking about the stock market or their hedge funds to pay attention to probably one of the best indie bands in the country.

Yeah, it's a huge let-down when other people don't appreciate a band the way you do. The Fleet Foxes knew exactly what to expect from the crowd though ("We're not Wilco, so don't worry; we'll make this brief") and actually got quite a nice standing ovation after their set. Not bad, if you ask me. I understand people weren't as into it as you wish they had been, but so it often goes for opening bands. Bon Iver had a much less captive audience in Indy a couple of weeks ago, and no one seemed to care how much I love them.

The crowd did not start to mesh with the band until two things happened: 1. The sun set which limited the number of distractions that the crowd could use to entertain themselves

The sun actually set before Wilco took the stage, thankfully. I was acutely aware of the cursed orb all day, so I made careful note the moment it set.

Besides, they needed to get their sleep for the
Overall, the venue was a beautiful place to hold an outdoor concert. The issues with the Salt Lake elitist trying to enjoy Wilco and completely ignoring Fleet Foxes was a true let down. Also, with no standing section, there was no room for the real fans to get close. Only the VIPs got up front. The band was great, the venue was nice, but the crowd and the layout were terrible. I met the band afterwards, by their bus, since the only passes given for the meet and greet were to the same members that got VIP tickets. The band was awesome and I got my LP signed. I thanked them for the show and left disappointed, not by the band or their performance, but by the circumstances and people that surrounded a truly great performance.

You must not have made any effort whatsoever. A band member got me a ticket into the show and I was left to fend for myself as far as seating. As soon as people started to stand I walked up and was on the second row for the remainder of the show. It was the easiest that move has ever been at any show I have attended in my life. Also, I hung out with that particular band member for an hour or so after the show and he said it was one of his favorite gigs he has ever played and loved the crowd and the setting. He wasn't exaggerating. Yes, the crowd started a little slow but once the alcohol kicked in, they were into in wholeheartedly. Considering many people in there weren't really into Wilco as a diehard fan, their response was pretty remarkable. Unfortunately not every show can be the equivalent of what goes down in Chicago or New York. I'm not from SLC and I have no reason to defend the place nor the people. I don't say this to argue with you. If the band was happy(which they were extremely happy), you shouldn't be bothered yourself!

Was there a poster?

yes

I'm sure where you sat for this show was crucial to your impression and enjoyment of it. I will hand it to the Red Butte folks: they don't mess around when it comes to getting in line for a big show. I don't know what time the first people in line showed up, but it had to be early in the morning since by 11:30 a.m. there were already about 40 people there.

Hey Great to see Rob and Tamayla in SLC - the line WAS amazing - I attended with locals and they really loved Wilco - what's not to love? :dancing Actaully did get a chance to mention to JT that the SLC line was gigantic, and I said wow-that Wilco band must be something else, as no one I spoke to in SLC had seen people line up so early for a "Red Butt" show! There was blazing heat and the line went on forever. A few drinks from the coolers and just a few songs into the first set, the whole gang from SLC looked like die hard Wilco fans (pretty drunk ones at that). They maybe didn't know all the words, but made up for it with enthusiasm. Spokane crowd was kinda quiet and polite, but I realy think they loved em too, just a little too well behaved for a Wiclo show - but I think the Spokane folks are really sweet people.

There were certainly people there who simply attend every show because they're garden members, and there were plenty of people who spread out blankets "just in case" some friends needed spots--thus taking up a disproportionate amount of space. We sat in the midst of several garden members near the front, and none of them had heard of Wilco before but were intrigued because it appeared to be the biggest concert of the year for the Gardens. When everyone else started standing (which happened sooner near the front than the back), so did these guys. I don't think it's fair to suggest all garden members who were there were just talking stocks throughout the show. The folks around us were dancing and enjoying themselves.

As the previous poster stated, it's only $30 or something for an individual membership, so being a member is not synonymous with being an elitist. I'm sure plenty of "real fans" are also garden members. Hey, I think I may even be a garden member. :ninja

Per some locals, the concert-back VIP chairs on the lower third of the hill are for the $5000/year sponsors, and the umbrella tables in the far back are for the $2500/year sponsors. There was still a lot of lawn up for grabs (perhaps 30 VIP chairs on the hill?), you just had to be in line early to get close to the stage.

Yeah, it's a huge let-down when other people don't appreciate a band the way you do. The Fleet Foxes knew exactly what to expect from the crowd though ("We're not Wilco, so don't worry; we'll make this brief") and actually got quite a nice standing ovation after their set. Not bad, if you ask me. I understand people weren't as into it as you wish they had been, but so it often goes for opening bands. Bon Iver had a much less captive audience in Indy a couple of weeks ago, and no one seemed to care how much I love them.

The sun actually set before Wilco took the stage, thankfully. I was acutely aware of the cursed orb all day, so I made careful note the moment it set.

Hey, Wilco played on Prairie Home Companion. You should check it out.

I believe the "make up your own lyrics" thing started at McCarren Pool last week--he did it in Jackson, too. I don't think it's shocking for them to learn that not every crowd can pull off the sing-along. At least he can read a crowd.

:brow I distinctly remember being excited. I mean, I get what you're saying, but you're painting broad strokes here.

You'll have to get to a Fleet Foxes solo show soon which is where you'll feel they've gotten the appreciation they deserve. It's just not going to happen when they're the opening band.

Glad you got it signed.

I just got back on the computer after being away since this show.....I won tix through JamBase and my wife and I flew up to SLC from Albuquerque on Monday the 18th to see the show. To say the least we were pleasantly surprised when we went up to the will call and they had an envelop with my name on it and 2 tickets - SWEET!!!! The venue was beautiful, very small outdoor sloping lawn scene full of folks partying with beer and wine, who'd a thought this could be in the Mormon capitol of the world?? Anyway, we meandered right down front on the left side and watched the last couple of tunes by the Fleet Foxes who sounded really excellent.

After a short intermission Wilco came on and played an awesome set, we were just hanging out and boggieing to the music and making a couple of little videos with my daugter's Flip vid cam when the big bad bald security force came and hauled my butt out of there and demanded that I delete my illegal video. I couldn't believe it!! There were people staggering around totally drunk, folks lighting up big old doobs and here I'm get busted for making a crappy little low res video? Give me a F-ing break! I complied with Mr. Clean's request and deleted said video, but these dudes were out to get me, and me being a big time wise ass sort of egged them on. They kept giving me the evil eye and I would wave to them and they finally had enough and wanted me to go with them, I refused and they brought in the local police. So here I am being interogated by these security dudes and the local cops, I didn't have the camera, in the shuffle I lost it and they went balistic about that whole deal - what was I supposed to do? They ended up kicking me out just as Spiders(Kidsmoke) was ending. Truly sucked. I listened to the rest of the show from outside the venue. I think these security dudes were pissed that people were all high and partying in front of them and they couldn't do a thing about it, so they went after people with cameras