AmEx Members Project Campaign

Making Cities Cleaner, Greener, and More Beautiful

125x125_ylo.gif

Click to Vote by September 1, 2008

Click to cast your vote for Urban Trees!

Take one minute to vote for trees and we may all be breathing easier next week!

Between today and Monday, we're asking for supporting votes to nominate the ACT (Alliance for Community Trees) Member Project, "Making Cities Cleaner, Greener and More Beautiful" for funding. This is a fun - and easy - way to involve your volunteers and friends in taking action to support planting urban trees - in your city and nationwide.

American Express is inviting the public to share ideas for projects that can make a difference in the world, and ultimately decide which projects get $2.5 million in funding.

This is a chance to show unity and action for trees. Local projects are unlikely to compete in the national competition, but working together, we can generate funding for trees in cities nationwide.

Click the "Nominate" button to cast your vote - and help us spread the word. You do not have to be an AmEx cardholder to participate. Just register as "guest" and cast your vote.

Thanks!

jen

More information:

Did you know that 80% of the population of this country lives in an urban area? Consider it our "urban habitat," and it needs help!

Satellite analyses conducted in 40 major US cities have documented a wide-ranging decline in urban forest canopy. Region wide, these losses are staggering

Thanks people. We're a pretty small non profit compared to the big ones like arbor day foundation, and american forests, both of which plant a millions of seedlings every year for restoration projects. They get all the big money (like if you go to eddie bauer and they ask you to donate a dollar, or when you are at Ikea and you have to pay a nickle for a plastic bag--that all goes to american forests and let me tell you, it adds up) but we focus on urban tree planting, because it is where most people, most POOR people live and the city has so many challenges that trees are often last on anyone's "to-do" list. So, in planting in the urban habitat, we're unique.

keep voting til Monday! we are hoping to make it to the second cut!

j

We get a ton of free trees from the conservation dept here in MO. I think we have gotten over 500 or so (my hubby keeps track) free as long as we promise to not sell them. They are babies, and we lost 100's from stress etc, but most are growing faster than the bigger ones you buy. But, I'm assuming for city use you would need bigger and stronger ones?

We get a ton of free trees from the conservation dept here in MO. I think we have gotten over 500 or so (my hubby keeps track) free as long as we promise to not sell them. They are babies, and we lost 100's from stress etc, but most are growing faster than the bigger ones you buy. But, I'm assuming for city use you would need bigger and stronger ones?

The Alliance's member groups plant trees that are between 2.5 and 3 inch caliper trees (so depending on the tree--between 5 and 9 ft tall already.) Trees planted in parks or restoration trees can be much smaller, like the kind you can buy at home depot for 19,99 in a 5 gallon bucket, but city street trees need to be big already and therefore they are a lot more expensive.

The Alliance's member groups plant trees that are between 2.5 and 3 inch caliper trees (so depending on the tree--between 5 and 9 ft tall already.) Trees planted in parks or restoration trees can be much smaller, like the kind you can buy at home depot for 19,99 in a 5 gallon bucket, but city street trees need to be big already and therefore they are a lot more expensive.

Oh. That poses a bigger need indeed ($$$$). Although, smaller trees grow @ a much faster rate, I see why planting big trees would be better in your setting. Good luck, there is not a bigger issue I am about, so I think I heart u.