Kronos Quartet + Glenn @ Ravinia

So who went to this? I went there with my mom and stepdad and had lawn seats. Unfortunately, it was in the enclosed theater so we didn't get to see anything. I really enjoyed the Sigur Ros piece. It was surprisingly cold out (even though I was wearing a jacket) and I felt like I was coming down with something, so I left during the intermission. What'd I miss?

Hopefully Lou, Allison, Paul, and maybe Cathy and Magee will chime in here. I thought it was an excellent show, but I feel spectacularly unqualified to give any sort of review of a classical concert. My favorite piece may have been the first one they played. David Harrington attributed it to an anonymous Iraqi composer, saying they'd been asked to play it at the Republican convention. As the laughter died down he added, "It's called, Oh Mother, the Handsome Man Tortures Me." I also liked a Serbian piece they played toward the end, hold me, neighbor, in this storm. And of course, Anomaly was very interesting. The program gave a nice writeup of Glenn's inspiration for it. It employed some unusual percussive elements, including some audible exhalations from the Kronos members near the beginning, and the cellist breaking something (a stick?) into a few pieces in front of a microphone. I really enjoyed the piece. I wish I could have seen Glenn better throughout - I could mostly see his right arm, and sometimes an eye when he was leaning over to do something. But it was kind of fun, in a way, realizing I've seen him perform enough that I could identify by sound many of the things he was doing. I could tell when the pitch of the drum changed that he was blowing into that tube he uses in "Reservations," for example.

Oddly, having grown up less than an hour away and passing on Metra many times, this was my first visit to Ravinia. It seems like the lawn would be a nice place to relax and see a pavilion show if it weren't freezing.

Oddly, having grown up less than an hour away and passing on Metra many times, this was my first visit to Ravinia. It seems like the lawn would be a nice place to relax and see a pavilion show if it weren't freezing.

During the summer, the lawn on ravinia (with some wine and cheese) is a great place to be.

Not sure I am any more qualified to give a review of this (I did get dragged to classical concerts all during my youth in Cleveland), but I was waiting on someone else to start this thread. Actually the Kronos Quartet doesn't exactly play classical music, but what they do play is spectacular as far as I am concerned. Their actual skill is incredible, but with their repetoire coming from world, rock, and contemporary music, they are not really a classical act, despite playing classical venues. I have been to Ravinia several times, mostly NOT For classical (mostly for folk and pop events) and I have been to this theater a few times for jazz events. Kronos has been a group for about 30 years, with apparently the same basic musicians (according to my friend John) except for the cellist, who is newer and unbelieveably skilled . They have made countless recordings, becomign famous initially for putting Purple Haze on an album, yea Hentrix's Purple Haze and from there they began doing all kinds of unusual things, including putting using samples and sound effects frequently.

Aside from Glenn's piece, I was particulary enthralled by the Sigor Ros piece, a group I am not that into. I thought that it was the most magical. It was called Frugufrelarinn or "The Fly Freer" and was quit good. Perhaps someone here knows this group well enough to tell me if this is actually one of their songs or was written for the Kronos. Actually everything they did was good. They played two encores (music not on the actual program, but still planned.). I suppose I was the least excited about Hanna Kulenty's String Quartet #4 "A Cradle Song" which had its world premier that night; it was sort of a dull polychromatic kind of thing, but it was well played. I also liked the Serbian peice by Vrebalov called "...hold me, neighbor, in this storm..." which was certainly about the war and involved quite a bit of sound effects and recorded music to augment the performance.

Glenn's piece, "Anomaly" was extraordinary. A piece in seven movements without any breaks, it runs for close to half an hour, and involves sort of straight up music and lots of percussion played by the quartet as well as Glenn himself. It involves the use of many small instruments (percussion, including bells) and was really quite remarkable. The quartet itself played the musical portions expertly. I kept wondering how much of this was written by Glenn and how much was a collaboration on some of the sections. I certainly hope at some point they record it, but who knows. At one point the cello player breaks what looks like bamboo chop sticks into a microphone for that effect*. Glenn was looking particularly serious during the performance, with hair combed and parted and wearing his glasses and at the end he seemed absolutely thrilled. Too bad Wilco can't have this done as an opener on some leg of the tour. I think it would bring an entirely different feel to the prefunctory opening act slot.

Whatever was played for the second encore, some piece of music that was in a film, was the loudest peice of the show, in fact I thought too loud at points. But all in all this was an evening I am glad I did not miss. I have no idea if this is being played anywhere else, but it is worth a trip to see (Paul certainly did). I would have liked to hear what some of the usual Ravinia crowd had to say about the peice. Kronos has played Ravinia many times in the past according to the program, and despite their somewhat unusual repetoire they are a fan favorite.

Sorry we didn't find Graham on the lawn. I always find it weird that they pipe these indoor shows outside. The night was certainly chilly and I was not even sure where people were sitting outside. Incidently, tickets were still available at show time and I don't believe this show sold out. In fact there were two or three seats in the first row, right in front of me. Then again a subscription holder may have just blown it off.

LouieB

*Having just read the book on the AACM, I kept thinking about how the AACM was always interested in small instruments and various kinds of vocal and other effects during their shows. I remember a show that Douglas Ewart did with bamboo flutes that also included a section where those flutes were broken up and the sound of the breaking was part of the piece. Also I was reminded of Roscoe Mitchell's long piece called The Maze, which involves about 10 musicians playing a wide variety of percussion instruments. I just wondered how much of these sorts of ideas have crept into mainstream percussion theory or whether it is fairly obvious. I suppose unless Glenn gets on here and talks about his influences I won't really know. But coming off an AACM heavy Jazz Fest, these thoughts did run through my mind during Anomaly.

Aside from Glenn's piece, I was particulary enthralled by the Sigor Ros piece, a group I am not that into. I thought that it was the most magical. It was called Frugufrelarinn or "The Fly Freer" and was quit good. Perhaps someone here knows this group well enough to tell me if this is actually one of their songs or was written for the Kronos.

It's one of their songs off the album

Missed the e on quite I guess. I may download this or something just to check it out.

LouieB

I would check out the whole album, personally. The album staggering in its beauty. It's definitely one of those "go for the epic moment" albums so a lot of it is slow-moving until the "epic moment" of a track/song smacks you in the face.

They have made countless recordings, becoming famous initially for putting Purple Rain on an album, yea Hentrix's Purple Rain.

I kept wondering how much of this was written by Glenn and how much was a collaboration on some of the sections.

Hey Lou, I was curious if you meant Purple Haze by Hendrix because they do a terrific version of it.

Here's a clip of them playing it back in day.

Also from some interviews I read of Glenn recently (I wanted to know more about the piece "Anomaly"), and he wrote it all by himself.

And I really wished I could have been there, but I was stuck in Door County.

Hey Lou, I was curious if you meant Purple Haze by Hendrix because they do a terrific version of it.

D'oh....

There are of course times I really shouldn't be in front of a computer trying to write I suppose. Of course, I must have been in a haze or something....It is on their Nonesuch album from 1986, which I actually have a copy of, it I had bothered to look. At this point in their career they were already 10 years old.

LouieB

Yikes I can't pronounce or spell their songs titles in regards to Sigur Ros but tracks 7 Vidrar and 8 Olsen Olsen have two of possibly my favorite moments in recorded music. The Build up at the end of Vidrar and how it all comes apart in the end give me goose bumps every time. Also the when the Choir comes in towards the end of Olsen Olsen has simiar results for me. I Highly recomment

Are you asking about the Kronos Quartet or Sigur Ros?

Here is the Kronos version of the Sigur Ros song: http://hypem.com/search/Kronos%20Quartet/1/ (first track)

Yes, I was actually asking about the Kronos Quartet but I think I may have confused by having Sigur Ros referenced. I have Sigur Ros new one but haven't spent much time with it. I would like to check out Kronos Quartet. Any recommendations?

Yes, I was actually asking about the Kronos Quartet but I think I may have confused by having Sigur Ros referenced. I have Sigur Ros new one but haven't spent much time with it. I would like to check out Kronos Quartet. Any recommendations?

the Dracula soundtrack is pretty good
I would bet just about any Kronos album is good, period. I don't have alot of their stuff, but the one with Purple Haze 153.jpgis older (1984) and good and I have a copy of Howl, USA (1995)162.jpg with a back-up track to the Ginsberg poem and some other freaky stuff (spoken drop-ins) that is also pretty good and NOT at all "classical". I am sure someone on the internet has more of a handle on this than I do, but based on what I have heard and seen I don't think you can go too far wrong with these guys (their former cellist was female).

edit- Here is a cool page with the album covers. Judging from the covers alone (and obviously the content advertised within) I am sure there is alot of great stuff.

double edit- On a funny side note, the Kronos Quartet played Tanglewood shortly after Wilco played there and I asked Glenn if he was going to stick around and play with them there and he told me no, that he had to get home to the baby.

LouieB

Having finally seen them after 30 years I now could really get into collecting their albums. I think I will look around for more of them. There is one made up entirely of Sigur Ros material. But the ones made up of others artists works are more enticing to me actually.

LouieB