• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 3 albums Kyle referrenced were all great in different ways, with That Much Further... sorta being a hybrid of the more mellow country Tennessee and ND, which sounds pretty much the way they do live.

I don't think the songs on the last record were as good, but then again I don't know many bands whose 5th album is as good as their 2nd or 3rd (yes, I'm looking at you, semi-obscure former alt country band with a popular if sometimes dysfunctional unofficial message board).

The 3 albums Kyle referrenced were all great in different ways, with That Much Further... sorta being a hybrid of the more mellow country Tennessee and ND, which sounds pretty much the way they do live.

I don't think the songs on the last record were as good, but then again I don't know many bands whose 5th album is as good as their 2nd or 3rd (yes, I'm looking at you, semi-obscure former alt country band with a popular if sometimes dysfunctional unofficial message board).

:lol

I agree with you but I think "That Much Further" lacked some production punch as well. I may not be articulating it right but sometimes it seems like the drums should crash or a guitar should crunch a bit more. That said, it's probably my favorite of their albums.

I've never understood why these guys haven't reached the next level. They are fine musicians and Roy Barry is a merciless drummer. Nichols has got to be one of the most charismatic front men to hit the stage in a long time and he's got a way with the tunes. Christ they never stop touring.

I hope this does it for them. They are all really humble, genuinely good guys.

• 6 months later...

The one good tune off of that miserable album.

After the perfection of Last Pale Light in the West, I am holding my breath that this could be half as good. Nichols' songwriting skills grew exponentially on LPLW.

After the perfection of Last Pale Light in the West, I am holding my breath that this could be half as good. Nichols' songwriting skills grew exponentially on LPLW.

The fact that this one is going to have horns has my expectations high.

seriously? i love that album. not my fave lucero album but 'can get us out of here tonight', 'i don't wanna be the one', 'sing me no hymns' are all great. the rest i dig.

i need to listen to LPLW a lot more than i do.

I guess I couldn't get past the trendy shift to the neo-Springsteen sound.

Lucero always had the x factor sound that was unique. Stripped down. I have the hard headed tendency to dismiss albums that seem to want to jump on a bandwagon. I blame it on David Lowry.

I'll listen to it again.

i'm kinda with you... i liked the last Lucero record, but the keys thing def threw me for a loop somewhat. but besides that I just didn't feel like the songwriting was up there with their previous records