i can see that i just don't get 'the springsteen sound' thing. just because there is keys or horns in an album it's springsteen-esque?

Oh no. It's the way the keys and horns are used, the way the songs are structured and build. Listen to What Else Would You Have Me Be and tell me that track doesn't smack of early 80s Springsteen.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I don't Wanna Be the One? The opening riff is a direct rip of Asia's Heat of the Moment.

Maybe that's what annoys me about the bulk of this album. (I'm listening to it right now.) It reminds me too much of that overblown 80s sound. I turned my ears away from radio pretty permanently during that time.

Forgive me Sooie. Again I blame the producer.

And I'm going to guess you're 10 to 15 years younger than me. :lol

I just don't feel much nostalgia for the popular music of that era.

This was my favorite album in 1983:

Tom_Waits-Swordfishtrombones-Frontal.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hey folks. Just got back from SXSW last week and went straight into Ardent Studios. As far as South by Southwest goes, we had a blast. Five shows in three days and we didn't mess any of them up too bad. It's always crazy down there but with the help of our tour manager Will we made it through just fine. We have to thank all the folks that came out to see us and the venues for having us. Got to see my little brothers and some old friends... yup, good time all around. Now. Recording. This is our first record for Univeral Republic and we're at Ardent studios in midtown Memphis. This is actually only the second time we've done a full band record in Memphis (That Much Further West was the only other one). I think we made a good choice. We wanted to take our favorite pieces of Memphis music history and combine it with the drunken rock&roll we usually play and see what we came up with. This is gonna be a soulful one folks. We've got a lot of the basic tracking down and now we're getting into the really fun stuff, like Rick Steff's keyboard parts and horns and backup singers. Yup. Backup singers. Don't worry. We're working with a producer named Ted Hutt and he's got a really good idea of how to get this record where it needs to go. We're using a bunch of great Memphis musicians and we're in a studio that has been at the center of a lot of great Memphis recordings... we're in good hands. Can't wait for ya'll to hear this stuff. Everybody in the band is really excited. So hopefully we'll get some pictures up soon from the recording session. Brian's working on some guitar parts right now. Time for me to head back over there and sing a few. Take care out there ya'll. -Ben

they need to kick out their bassist John ASAP imo.

dude's been so insanely fucked up the last few times i've seen them and was barely coherent at SXSW. not like he's that great of a player that he'd be missed either imo.

they need to kick out their bassist John ASAP imo.

dude's been so insanely fucked up the last few times i've seen them and was barely coherent at SXSW. not like he's that great of a player that he'd be missed either imo.

I saw them a couple of years ago in Richmond and he spent the entire set with his eyes closed, propped up against a wooden post on the side of the stage. And it worked for them. Of course, I couldn't hear him in the mix, so who knows how he was doing but it looked cool.

I'm really looking forward to this album. Hopefully they pull off this Stax/Lucero hybrid better than they did the Springsteen/Lucero one.

i just think with the whole major label thing he's gonna become a big liability and they're good of a band to have to put up with drama.

we'll see, but he's only gotten worse the last few times i've seen them in the past 12 months

• 2 weeks later...

so apparently their brooklyn show last night is filmed for a dvd. me and my girlfriend are in the front row, its gonna rule. the show was great, it was my first lucero show. he played half the set holding a bottle of jameson.

so apparently their brooklyn show last night is filmed for a dvd. me and my girlfriend are in the front row, its gonna rule. the show was great, it was my first lucero show. he played half the set holding a bottle of jameson.

Hmmm. Ben is becoming cultured. I thought he was strictly a Jack Daniels guy. Coincidence this happens after they sign a major record deal? I think not.

Hmmm. Ben is becoming cultured. I thought he was strictly a Jack Daniels guy. Coincidence this happens after they sign a major record deal? I think not.

I believe that he was drinking Jack at the Chicago show. I consider Jameson and Jack to be on the same level, no?

Side note, I do believe that Ben is outgrowing his band though. I think the solo album is the single best thing that he has been associated with. Further, I couldn't imagine what his music would sound like if you plugged in some really talented musicians around him. Oh, and I'll echo the sentiments regarding the bassist. He came off as a giant knob.

I believe that he was drinking Jack at the Chicago show. I consider Jameson and Jack to be on the same level, no?

Side note, I do believe that Ben is outgrowing his band though. I think the solo album is the single best thing that he has been associated with. Further, I couldn't imagine what his music would sound like if you plugged in some really talented musicians around him. Oh, and I'll echo the sentiments regarding the bassist. He came off as a giant knob.

I agree with every word blue said. Except the whiskey part. I don't know nuthin' 'bout no whiskey.

nah, Jameson is def a bit higher class and expensive than Jack. neither are exactly high end tho

• 5 months later...