Lehman Brothers and Merrill Lynch

Just wait until the libraries start closing, the trains stop running so often, the garbage isn't picked up so often, etc. I am not suggesting anyone anywhere should shed a tear for the i-bankers of the world. But the financial industry funds 20 percent of the entire state's revenue. It accounts for 9 percent of the city's revenue. This is bad news for all new yorkers -- not just the dudes getting laid off today.

That's true. School budgets across the state are going to get fucked rather rudely.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What El says is true, but there are many banks out there that are in fine financial shape, some bad loans notwithstanding. Do your research.

very true. i should have bolded 'look at spreading a little of that around'. bottom line, whether you think you have to worry about this affecting you or not...please, make sure.

[quote name=Paul B' date='Sep 15 2008, 04:53 PM' post='1201549'

I spoke with a couple Lehman guys today.....who pull in 500k all-in easily....and they're freaking out.

good.

One of the advantages of being accustomed to doing without is, well you know how to do without.

Another disturbing (and little noticed) news item -- House meets in secret in March 08 -- 6th (?) time in history

There are other sources out there, but this one outlines the 'leaked' info. The mainstream media gave it a pass. I'm moving to my shack.

[quote name='Paul B' date='Sep 15 2008, 04:53 PM' post='1201549'

I spoke with a couple Lehman guys today.....who pull in 500k all-in easily....and they're freaking out.

good.

Good that they might lose their jobs? Nice.

Good that they might lose their jobs? Nice.

are you seriously suggesting I feel bad about someone losing their job after profitting from this shitstorm at the rate of a half million a year? You've got to be fucking kidding me.

are you seriously suggesting I feel bad about someone losing their job after profitting from this shitstorm at the rate of a half million a year? You've got to be fucking kidding me.

you do understand that not every single person that works for these firms are the one that set the company policies that i would agree with you on being questionable. in fact, those who had little to do with implementing the ledning policies are likely the majority.

or is everybody who worked for these firms 'guilty'?! if the answer is yes, You've got to be fucking kidding me.

Did I refer to anyone but those raking in a half mil a year? They certainly profited from the current lack of regulation, oversight and atmosphere of greed. Tweak all you want about my lack of sympathy for them.

Did I refer to anyone but those raking in a half mil a year? They certainly profited from the current lack of regulation, oversight and atmosphere of greed. Tweak all you want about my lack of sympathy for them.

no, you didn't. my apologies. you're right, let them burn in hell.

I'm really not sure why we can't feel bad when anybody loses their job. I made about 1/2 million a year once upon a time. I lost that job. I was pretty sad about it as well.

Not too shabby for a SUNY kid.

but look at me now! dirt poor and getting dressed down by some guy on the internet for making a comment to the only VC person I ever trusted alone with my kid.

You and three other guys and more, probably. I see it all the time - when someone says something outside the line, they get jumped on. I will regret what I have said here shortly - but for now I do not. As I have said before - if it was your wife, girlfriend, etc. - you would speak up to.

I thought this would be a good place to point out how ridiculous it is that that other thread was closed.

Of course, Jules is talking about THIS thread being closed, so I moved his post in here.

Someone closed this thread as it had unneccessarily turned into a fight. Many of those posts have been made invisible so you can't see them now. But the argument continued despite a warning, and so the thread was locked.

Please anyone feel free to start another thread about Wall Street's woes to continue this discussion.