anyone been to machu picchu?

My friends and I wanted to plan a trip there. We were looking for some suggestions as far as a good company to go through for the trip or any additional information.

I was there when I was 6 years old. Spring of 1976. Took a dump there on the grounds. That's why it's considered a mystical place now.

Yep, that's me. I spent most of this July in Peru.

We took the train to aguas calientes and walked up to machu pichu. I assume you are talking about actually hiking the inca trail to machu pichu, which we didn't do, because it's a really busy trail. Instead, we hiked to the remote ruins of choquequirao. The gentlemen who set up the trip/guides for us was outstanding. (Here's his website) I would recomend this option if you want to hike.

We didn't hike the trail. After seeing otherwise healthy people hobbling through the Cuzco airport in pain with severely blistered feet, I was thankful we didn't hike.

If I were you, I'd take the bus from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu and save your energy so you can climb to the top of Waina Picchu. It's totally worth it, but they limit the number of people that can hike up there each day, so do it first.