Ted Leo and the Pharmacists

I did a search and didn't see this brought up -- I took my daughter to an Against Me concert at the House of Blues-Orlando and Ted Leo and the Pharmacists were one of the opening acts. Really impressed me with their song writing, vocals and overall sound -- although they appeared to be touring by their shoelaces.

If I was to characterize them it would be a '70s Joe Jackson channeling Bruce Springsteen. Definitely worth a listen if they get near you.

There was quite a lot of talk about Ted here at one time. I think it was before that last album kind of disappointed people. He got sick from what I remember. Anyone know how he's doing?

Not 100% certain about this, but I believe his wife has been very ill, and he's been paying her medical bills by touring.

There is a Wilco connection to Ted Leo ... current Pharmacists drummer James Canty is the brother of Brendan Canty, who (along with being in Fugazi) was one of the guys who did the SBS bonus DVD, Sunken Treasure DVD, etc.

I saw Chisel in '96 in a tiny club in Indianapolis and they were absolutely incredible. ome of the catchiest songs from the 90's for sure. "8 AM All day" is essential if you're a new Ted fan. I've been a fan of the Pharmacists since the beginning. Their current bassist, Marty, has Richmond roots and played in both Born Against and The (Young) Pioneers.

Not 100% certain about this, but I believe his wife has been very ill, and he's been paying her medical bills by touring.

jesus. that's heartbreaking. having to be out touring while your spouse is so ill. damn.

also: got hipped to ted from the now playing thread: soooo good!

I've heard that Leo's wife had cancer. I'm not sure about the accuracy of this. But a while back Ted himself was sick and was paying the medical bills by bringing the Pharmacists along for what were scheduled to be solo shows.