I'm building letterhead templates in Microsoft Word. Is there a way to set headers and footers to not print (but appear on screen).??

OK, I'm curious ... why do you want to do this?

Also, which version of Word are you using?

OK, I'm curious ... why do you want to do this?

Also, which version of Word are you using?

most recent, 2007. and am building them on a PC (on a mac).

Why am I doing this, so that when people type up letters and mess up the bottom margin they can tell that the text they are creating is going to print right on top of the preprinted address line on the stationary. Also, so people get a sense of what their letters will look like before they print them instead of creating something blind, loading in the expensive preprinted stationary, printing, seeing that it looks funny, making changes, and then printing on more expensive preprinted stationary. a way to conserve the expensive preprinted stationary if you will. :)

most recent, 2007. and am building them on a PC (on a mac).

Why am I doing this, so that when people type up letters and mess up the bottom margin they can tell that the text they are creating is going to print right on top of the preprinted address line on the stationary. Also, so people get a sense of what their letters will look like before they print them instead of creating something blind, loading in the expensive preprinted stationary, printing, seeing that it looks funny, making changes, and then printing on more expensive preprinted stationary. a way to conserve the expensive preprinted stationary if you will. :)

Instead of setting up headers and footers that won't print - why not just set up margins to simulate the borders of said headers and footers?

EDIT: Disregard my suggestion below. I thought this would change the setting on a document-by-document basis, but this changes it for Word in general.

I'll look into whether this can be done for just the current document.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I guess the one way I can think of to do this is to add headers and footers as hidden text, and then set the document to always display hidden text on screen.

This may not be a good option if you use hidden text elsewhere in the templates (or if your users are likely to use it in their letters), but if it's only ever going to be in the headers/footers, it might give you what you're looking for.

To do this:

Create your headers and footers, then select the text in each, right-click, and choose Font from the right-click menu. Then mark the Hidden textbox and click OK.

Then click the Office button (I think that's what they call the big round button at the top left) and click the Word Options button. Click the Display item in the left pane, and in the section labeled "Always show these formatting marks on the screen," mark the Hidden text checkbox. Then click OK.

Hope that helps!

• 5 months later...

ok, back to hating on Microsoft Word.

Remember those letterhead templates? well my boss finally decided to look at them. and wants them changed. her number one complaint, the logo and address show up grey on screen. the reason it does this, because it is the header and footer in the document. i have no clue how to get it to not show up greyed back and no clue how to get something into Word that stays in place, can't be moved and isn't a header or footer. anybody?

also, how do you make a pdf of a word document. my response was going to be, it is the header and footer and the electronic version should be generated into a pdf before sending to someone (an editable document should never be sent to someone).

i really want to say this is Word, i have no clue how to change it, that's not in my skill. i hate that program.

OK, some observations...

1. Your company should not buy expensive pre-printed letterhead stationery. That's one of the many tasks for which headers/footers in Word are well suited. If you have a color printer, you can make your letters look just as good as the pre-printed stuff. If you don't, then you should get used to having monochrome logos on your correspondence.

2. When you're stuck printing to expensive pre-printed letterhead stock, this sort of thing is handled most easily through the use of margins and/or headers/footers. How you set them up depends on whether pages beyond the first page repeat the logo and/or company address on them. If the logo is just on the first page, at the top, set the headers to have a different first page and put the logo in that header.

3. I'm not too sure about your boss.

also, how do you make a pdf of a word document. my response was going to be, it is the header and footer and the electronic version should be generated into a pdf before sending to someone (an editable document should never be sent to someone).

We use DocuPrinter. Looks like licenses are $19 each or $219 for 25.

and i have 2 things to add:

1. I think you can only print to a pdf if you have Adobe, at least Standard on each machine. (Not just adobe reader) or another program that uses a PDF Printer as one of it's printers. (our accounting program has a PDF printer in it that allows you to PDF a word document without having the adobe standard edition on the pc.)

2. I'm not too sure about your boss either.

We use DocuPrinter. Looks like licenses are $19 each or $219 for 25.

or this

OK, some observations...

1. Your company should not buy expensive pre-printed letterhead stationery. That's one of the many tasks for which headers/footers in Word are well suited. If you have a color printer, you can make your letters look just as good as the pre-printed stuff. If you don't, then you should get used to having monochrome logos on your correspondence.

2. When you're stuck printing to expensive pre-printed letterhead stock, this sort of thing is handled most easily through the use of margins and/or headers/footers. How you set them up depends on whether pages beyond the first page repeat the logo and/or company address on them. If the logo is just on the first page, at the top, set the headers to have a different first page and put the logo in that header.

3. I'm not too sure about your boss.

yeah, the files set up for the pre-printed stuff work fine, no complaints. it is the set of files that are meant to be used to reduce the amount of pre-printed stock that my boss is having issue with. the files that are set-up in the most common sense manner for such use and are what you describe in 1.

as for the pdf. i had no idea you couldn't just make a pdf. REALLY. i am so spoiled by the software that i use and my macintosh world. here i thought that was just common and easy, you type up a letter in word and then puff make a pdf. there's such a danger in emailing a letter to someone in word. they could easily change it to say whatever they want and who can dispute that. ZOIKS!!!! ah well.

so the consensus is, if you want a logo at the top of a word document and an address at the bottom, the best way to achieve this is to set it up as a header and footer? :) THANKs for the help and reassurances that i am not the crazy one.

i am so spoiled by the software that i use and my macintosh world. here i thought that was just common and easy, you type up a letter in word and then puff make a pdf.

It is that easy in Windowsland -- if you have Adobe Acrobat.

so the consensus is, if you want a logo at the top of a word document and an address at the bottom, the best way to achieve this is to set it up as a header and footer?

I can't guarantee that it's the best way, but it's probably the easiest.

Yes. You just save it as a docx which will allow for the document to open up blank (save headers and footers) each time. And I use Adobe Pro to save as pdf but i think there are other ways such as using google docs as well.

Micorshaft released this plug in a while ago that allows you to save as PDF. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

generally , i'll use a pdf ghostscript printer, and then i can print anything to PDF. http://www.pdfill.com/freewriter_pdf.html

• 5 weeks later...

OK, new PC question. I am trying to load a font onto a PC. I went under Control Panel/appearance/fonts and copied the font from a PC then transferred those files to the new computer. The file name is no longer the font name, but instead some cryptic number with a .pfb extension. there's also a .pfm extension file added. When I go into the control panel/appearance/fonts and install new font, the font starts to load, but then I get an error message:

" The 49030501.pfm file is currently being used and cannot be replaced. Wait until Windows is finished with the file, and then try again."

The progress bar then continues as if it is installing the font, says 100% complete. Yet the font doesn't get installed.

Help.