The Road (film adaptation)

What a bleak and intensely beautiful film.

The tenderness between the man and his son travelled like a glowing ember through the bitter landscape of the road. My heart was utterly pulverized. I am undone.

See this film.

Sounds like the book to me. I will be going to see it, just have to get myself prepared. So good to hear it is well done.

The movie was good, but its one of those that I really have no desire to see again. Its just so unrelentingly bleak. Of course the book is the same way, but the poetry of the writing kind of distracts you from what they're actually going through. I will say this: the cinematography and locations were absolutely incredible, and worth the price of admission alone. There arent many wide angle shots of the landscape, but when there are..whoa. That abandoned highway overpass made my jaw drop. The scene when they arrive in the city (I want to say it was shot in New Orleans? Not sure) was also incredibly created. I definitely feel out of all the post apocolyptic movies that have been made in recent years, this one most closely captures what such a world would probably be like. Still not sure what I think of the whole cannibal thing. I think it cheapens the book/movie in a way, but it does highlight how far man can fall (and the things people might have to do to survive), so I guess its not an entirely cliche device.

As depressing as the book/film are, their greatest by-product is to really make you appreciate that you DONT live in that world. You get a whole new appreciation for life as you know it after walking out of that theatre into the fresh air and sun, and I think it sticks with you for a long time (it did for me, anyway). And it also highlights just how fragile (and absurd) our modern society is. At the end of the day, the material possesions or job dont matter. Its those you love.