The Road (film adaptation)

A film adaptation of the novel is currently in production. It is directed by John Hillcoat and written by Joe Penhall. The film stars Viggo Mortensen and Kodi Smit-McPhee as the Man and the Boy, respectively. Production has taken place in Erie, Pennsylvania at Presque Isle State Park, Louisiana, and Oregon. It is due for release in the United States November 26, 2008.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0898367/

i dunno.

I've been looking around the internets at stuff about this and I'm not terribly enthused. I'll definitely watch it but I don't think a movie can come anywhere near capturing the whole vibe of the book. From the stills I've seen, they've changed some stuff. I'm thinking of the photo of the semi on the bridge specifically. There should be a trailer on that mofo, no? :hmm I know it's inevitable that they change things for the film, but c'mon...that scene is important to me!

I'm certainly looking forward to it. Viggo Mortensen is perfect for this role, IMO.

If there's one scene I really hope is true to the book it would be the encounter in the locked basement and the immediate aftermath. Some of the most terrifying words I've ever read in a novel.

I'm certainly looking forward to it. Viggo Mortensen is perfect for this role, IMO.

If there's one scene I really hope is true to the book it would be the encounter in the locked basement and the immediate aftermath. Some of the most terrifying words I've ever read in a novel.

:yes

Based on early reviews, the basement scene is in the film.

As a huge fan of McCarthy and The Road, I

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well?

I have been having an ongoing conversation with some people whose opinions I trust, about whether I should read this book/see the film. The jury is still out. I'm afraid of being 'haunted for weeks' and having 'nightmares' from the most 'bleak, grim novel ever written'.

Anyone see this yet? Am I too much of a wimp to deal with it?

Well?

I have been having an ongoing conversation with some people whose opinions I trust, about whether I should read this book/see the film. The jury is still out. I'm afraid of being 'haunted for weeks' and having 'nightmares' from the most 'bleak, grim novel ever written'.

Anyone see this yet? Am I too much of a wimp to deal with it?

I have never had such a feeling about a movie as with this one. I both really, really want to see it, and have no desire to see it. It's strange.

I have never had such a feeling about a movie as with this one. I both really, really want to see it, and have no desire to see it. It's strange.

Yeah, I'm sorta the same way. I was going to head out and catch the late show at River East, but ended up with Red Cliff 1 AND 2.

The movie didn't have the subtle, ongoing, quiet tension that was so brilliant in the book. I am not sure how it's even possible to translate the things I found so appealing about the book into a film......However, the relationship between the man and his son became even more intense for me in the movie. I can't remember the last time I had to sit through the credits just to give myself time to stop crying.

I desperately wanted to see it this weekend, but we were staying in North Conway, NH, and unfortunately, the closest theater showing it is in Boston - which, wtf – I thought it received a wide release? There’s one of those gianormous, small town-sized theaters up the road a bit, in Newington, NH – but they’re not showing it either.

After Reni's review and another conversation about the book last night, I'm going for it. Movie next week.

Noooooooooo - read the book first.

I read a review that stated the film was like receiving trauma and going into shock in which you dont "get over" the event......you wait until it wears off. That pretty much captures how I felt about the power of the book. I'm gonna wait on seeing the film, the last thing I need is more bleakness and depression.

Yeah, Christine, please do read the book first. It is simply a masterpiece. :)

Neon - same thing here - it's only showing in 2 theaters in the entire Chicagoland area. On its release date it was nowhere near us. I was going to drive an hour away to go see it yesterday in Evanston, but then went to get the time and it was in a theater a little closer - 30 min.

Yeah, the movie really stuck with me. My eyes were sore and I felt pretty blah for the rest of the evening. Then again, if a movie has that much of an emotional effect on me, I like it. I love being deeply and emotionally engaged with movies.

I desperately wanted to see it this weekend, but we were staying in North Conway, NH, and unfortunately, the closest theater showing it is in Boston - which, wtf – I thought it received a wide release? There’s one of those gianormous, small town-sized theaters up the road a bit, in Newington, NH – but they’re not showing it either.

I know exactly the 2 places that you're talking about. Do you live in New Hampshire?

Re wide release: According to Box Office Mojo it was released in only 111 theaters. :angry And there's no info on there for expansion. I'm thinking this may expand this year. Another part of me thinks this will be one of those films that expands if and when it gets Oscar nominations. So I expect it sometime in January or February at a moderate expansion of 1,000 theaters.

Edit: Ok, The Road had the best per screen average over the holiday weekend. It took in $13,000 per screen to bring its total to $2 million. To compare Sandra Bullock's The Blind Side took in $12,000 per screen (3,140 screens) to make $40 million. LOL Wow, what a difference. Precious had a similar thing last month and then that got a wider release slowly but surely. We'll see on this one.

It's playing in 3 theaters in all of Boston.

I just got around to reading the book this past week as it has been on my to-do list for a while. As a father of two young daughters, I have to say that it was very tough to read. I actually put the book down for a day because it was so upsetting. But it is so well-written and engrossing, I picked it up again after I put my kids to bed the next night and blazed through the rest of it. The last couple pages left me with a swelling in my throat and my eyes. Despite that I am thrilled that I invested the time in reading it... absolutely incredible.

The movie is playing nowhere in my area but that may be a good thing as I think I need some time between reading it and seeing the movie.

I am another big fan of the reading the book before you see the movie way of doing it. I think the fact that the book draws you into it's world and it becomes a personal experience for the reader is it's raison d'etre. You personalise the whole thing in your head and almost inject yourself into the story. The movie going experience may destroy a little bit of this as you experience it with an audience.

A friend and I are to see it tomorrow night. A library snafu made it impossible to read the novel beforehand.

This is not the way I like to do things. I'm skeert.

Be skeert. Be very skeert.

I'll report back in the morning. :nailbite

Please do. I’m envious, as it appears as though it will be several months before I’ll get an opportunity to see it, assuming that at some point, it sees wide release. I’ve been anticipating this movie since it was announced that filming had begun, and every step of the way, Harvey Weinstein has found some way to fuck it up.

Hey, maybe you could sneak one of them there cams in for us and tape it? And don't be cheap like those torrent assholes, buy a decent camcorder, don't skimp, get one of those HD bitches - oh, and don't forget the tripod - I like not feeling like I'm viewing the movie from inside the head of someone with some sort of neurological disorder, someone all shaky and shit.

Thanks and enjoy the movie.

What a bleak and intensely beautiful film.

The tenderness between the man and his son travelled like a glowing ember through the bitter landscape of the road. My heart was utterly pulverized. I am undone.

See this film.